Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best nightlife?
Atlanta 75 56.82%
Dallas 34 25.76%
Houston 23 17.42%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Okay, I'll take the bait: How is this the case?
There's no need to explain. All you have to do is watch Bravo and Vh1, and you will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 01:19 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
There's no need to explain. All you have to do is watch Bravo and Vh1, and you will see.
Wait, I thought it was about the mall? Now it's about Bravo and VH1? LMAO!

I can't keep up with you man.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Well, Southernboy does have a point. Having lived in both, I would say that Atlanta is easily the more pretentious of the two. It's like half way inbetween Houston and Dallas.

I don't get the mall reference, though. Galleria and Lenox are two peas in the same pod.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Okay, I'll take the bait: How is this the case?
Comparing the city of Houston and the city of Atlanta's largest malls Lenox square does seem to be a good bit more pretentious than the Houston Galleria but that is because Lenox is mostly an upscale mall while the gallery is a larger mall that is both upscale and not so upscale sort of like if you were to combine Phipps plaza and the Mall of Georgia into one big mall.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Lenox square does seem to be a good bit more pretentious than the Houston Galleria but that is because Lenox is mostly an upscale mall while the gallery is a larger mall that is both upscale and not so upscale sort of like if you were to combine Phipps plaza and the Mall of Georgia into one big mall.
Not really. For stores and the clientele, The Galleria is more like Lenox and Phipps combined, with some Perimeter thrown in. Memorial Mall would be our MOG.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:48 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Honestly, having read both this thread and a few other ones it comes across as people straight trolling for the sake of it or people reading Wikipedia and then doing a tour off Google maps for these cities and going off that.

Having lived in Dallas and Houston and being my early 20's, I can say as much: Houston wins on Latino hands down the Costa Rican, Mexican, Honduran, especially the Guatemalan nightlife among others (albeit the issue is even the music is in Espanol but when the Latina chicks are that hot, who really cares?). Dallas wins in electronica/techno/trance/house by FAR and away, which is essentially what I prefer most either way. Houston takes it over Dallas on the African American nightlife, some reason I don't like hip hop but I just REALLY never liked Dallas hip hop especially (anyone remember nonsense like ice cream paint job?).

Being as I am Asian, Houston is a stellar place for Asian Karaoke especially in Little Saigon and Chinatown-Bellaire (have heard of the famous Korean Karaoke scene in Atlanta too) and the South Asian clubs are often wild and insane (same with Dallas), on the hookah bars the designs are better in the ones in Dallas (glow and neon indoors and out) but the Houston ones as a collective unit typically have the better food and much more packed. It's not a blowout by any means because Dallas is really great too. On bars, yeah this is where Houston takes it and never has to look back, ever.

Overall, I could do either but what I really like is going to house parties while in Houston or Dallas at my friends' places, those kill it.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:30 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,789,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Honestly, having read both this thread and a few other ones it comes across as people straight trolling for the sake of it or people reading Wikipedia and then doing a tour off Google maps for these cities and going off that.

Having lived in Dallas and Houston and being my early 20's, I can say as much: Houston wins on Latino hands down the Costa Rican, Mexican, Honduran, especially the Guatemalan nightlife among others (albeit the issue is even the music is in Espanol but when the Latina chicks are that hot, who really cares?). Dallas wins in electronica/techno/trance/house by FAR and away, which is essentially what I prefer most either way. Houston takes it over Dallas on the African American nightlife, some reason I don't like hip hop but I just REALLY never liked Dallas hip hop especially (anyone remember nonsense like ice cream paint job?).

Being as I am Asian, Houston is a stellar place for Asian Karaoke especially in Little Saigon and Chinatown-Bellaire (have heard of the famous Korean Karaoke scene in Atlanta too) and the South Asian clubs are often wild and insane (same with Dallas), on the hookah bars the designs are better in the ones in Dallas (glow and neon indoors and out) but the Houston ones as a collective unit typically have the better food and much more packed. It's not a blowout by any means because Dallas is really great too. On bars, yeah this is where Houston takes it and never has to look back, ever.

Overall, I could do either but what I really like is going to house parties while in Houston or Dallas at my friends' places, those kill it.
Are you serious? Hands down? I'm Mexican American and frequent Mexican clubs, salsa, merengue, bachata, spanish rock, hip hop latin clubs and everything else in between in both cities and I can assure you they are neck and neck in Latin music.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:41 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
Are you serious? Hands down? I'm Mexican American and frequent Mexican clubs, salsa, merengue, bachata, spanish rock, hip hop latin clubs and everything else in between in both cities and I can assure you they are neck and neck in Latin music.
Why are you getting frustrated over what wasn't even meant to be an offensive statement? If you wanted to disagree that is perfectly fine, I'm not an expert on nightlife and am only going by what I've personally encountered and nothing more. People on this forum, sometimes.

In Houston more or less, the Latino nightclubs share under all flags, some days they even make it nationality specific but more or less I've personally found the Latino nightlife in Houston to be much more mixed, yeah still Mexican dominated but I haven't had the experience in Dallas to see Hondurans, Guatemalans, or Costa Ricans in large numbers. If they are then where?

Anyhow, like I said I already did prefer Dallas' nightlife to either Atlanta or Houston seeing as how I'm not much into hip hop.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, Southernboy does have a point. Having lived in both, I would say that Atlanta is easily the more pretentious of the two. It's like half way inbetween Houston and Dallas.

I don't get the mall reference, though. Galleria and Lenox are two peas in the same pod.
U are right to I'm at all kinda industry parties and everything is very pretentious in some places but not all black establishments though.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:50 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,955 times
Dallas is a let live city and the rest is alright!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City