Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most big city feeling of the group?
Montreal 32 22.54%
San Francisco 53 37.32%
Philadelphia 57 40.14%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:51 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
What are you aplogizing for? Apology accepted I guess. I was referring to large "spectacle" shopping areas, not parks. I should have clarified.
Walnut Street? It's definitely getting much better and is the fastest growing retail street in the US. Increasingly Chestnut is getting better too. The Walnut/Chestnut vicinity is seeing some big names coming along lately. Madewell, Intermix and Stuart Wietzman just opened. Theory is under construction. Nordstrom is coming to 17th and Chestnut. Bloomingdale's is looking for space. Uniqlo is going in at 15th and Walnut.

Also, there is plans for the Gallery to make it interact with the street better:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0PxEsTfFJT...+Rendering.png

The owner, PREIT, who also turned around Willow Grove Mall and Cherry Hill mall from pretty dumpy malls to upscale malls is planning to do the same with the Gallery. There are also two pads built on top of the Gallery where highrises will be constructed (probably hotel/office space).

Last edited by JMT; 10-21-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think it's, again, the suburbs such as King of Prussia sort of sucking away the customers for high end retail from Center City.
Possibly but the Walnut/Chestnut vicinity is definitely on the up. I see plenty of shopping options in this area. Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, Swarovski, Macy's, Armani Exchange, Burberry, Zara, Lacoste, Tiffany & Co., Barney's New York CO-OP (Soon to be just a regular Barney's, not a CO-OP), Nicole Miller, The Art of Shaving, Juicy Couture, Club Monaco, Guess, BCBG, Stuart Weitzman, Brooks Brothers, Cole Haan, Ann Taylor, Kenneth Cole, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters Flagship, Coach, Talbots, Lucky Brand Jeans, Dr. Martens, two LOFTs, True Religion, Steve Madden, Lush, Barbour, Diesel, MAC, L'Occitane en Provence, Anthropologie Flagship, Apple, Kiehl's, Tumi, Lagos, The North Face, Jack Wills, Ulta Flagship, Intermix, Free People flagship, Jacques Ferber, Joan Shepp, two H&M's, Allen Edmonds, Boyds, Madewell, Theory (under construction), Camper, J. Crew, JoS. A. Bank, Aldo, Bath & Body Works, Nine West, Express, Victoria's Secret, Suit Supply, Scotch & Soda (coming), Nordstrom (coming), Uniqlo (coming), Forever 21 (searching for space), American Eagle (searching for space), Bloomingdale's (searching for space).

Old 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
I don't think you can blame King of Prussia. You have to blame Philadelphia leaders for letting its downtown retail sector fall into disrepair.

Its good to see the residential and cultural renaissance happening. University Citys amazing improvement in the past 20-30 years all bodes well for Philadelphias retail future. Retail will tag along with the renaissance.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I don't think you can blame King of Prussia. You have to blame Philadelphia leaders for letting its downtown retail sector fall into disrepair.

Its good to see the residential and cultural renaissance happening. University Citys amazing improvement in the past 20-30 years all bodes well for Philadelphias retail future. Retail will tag along with the renaissance.
What are people seeing that I'm not? Retail IS already booming in Philly. Walnut has the fastest rising retail rent in the country
Retail in Philadelphia is hot - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Walnut Street? It's definitely getting much better and is the fastest growing retail street in the US. Increasingly Chestnut is getting better too. The Walnut/Chestnut vicinity is seeing some big names coming along lately. Madewell, Intermix and Stuart Wietzman just opened. Theory is under construction. Nordstrom is coming to 17th and Chestnut. Bloomingdale's is looking for space. Uniqlo is going in at 15th and Walnut.

Also, there is plans for the Gallery to make it interact with the street better:

The owner, PREIT, who also turned around Willow Grove Mall and Cherry Hill mall from pretty dumpy malls to upscale malls is planning to do the same with the Gallery. There are also two pads built on top of the Gallery where highrises will be constructed (probably hotel/office space).
That looks mad nice. I can't wait to see it constructed.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
That looks mad nice. I can't wait to see it constructed.
Agreed. Can't wait. Much of the southern half of Market East has redevelopment plans as well.

11th and Market redevelopment
http://www.blackneyhayes.com/uploads/portfolio/fullsize/1_3318.jpg[/IMG]

Plan for the parking lot at 8th and Market

http://www.phillymag.com/realestate/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Updated-MARKET8-Rendering-640x722.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by JMT; 10-21-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 02:14 AM

289 posts, read 396,367 times
Quote:
Montreal's high ridership and high ridership per mile is probably due to several different things. The most important one is probably its high frequency of service with waits down to two minutes during rush hour. There's also the advantage of having more routes and transfer options in the busiest parts of town. The system is also just in general a lot nicer with the quieter rubber tire braking system, simple and fast rfid fare system for both the metro and buses, up today train service schedule and annoucements monitors in the stations, and just generally cleaner trains and stations.
As an expat living in Montreal who rides the metro almost daily I wish things were as nice as you made them sound. I think a lot of reasons for such high ridership here are due to Montreal probably having such a high cost of owning a vehicle.

For all but a few of our coldest months the amount of people out and about around this city at any given time of the day is very high. There are more universities/colleges in Montreal than any other city in north america besides Boston and the largest of them are all in or near the downtown or popular areas.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
As an expat living in Montreal who rides the metro almost daily I wish things were as nice as you made them sound. I think a lot of reasons for such high ridership here are due to Montreal probably having such a high cost of owning a vehicle.

For all but a few of our coldest months the amount of people out and about around this city at any given time of the day is very high. There are more universities/colleges in Montreal than any other city in north america besides Boston and the largest of them are all in or near the downtown or popular areas.
You might kvetch, but compared to the metro systems in most other US cities, Montreal's got it good.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:38 PM

331 posts, read 592,440 times
Quote:
You might kvetch, but compared to the metro systems in most other US cities, Montreal's got it good.
You can say that again, I loved the Montreal's Metro when I lived there

Old 10-21-2013, 06:26 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Possibly but the Walnut/Chestnut vicinity is definitely on the up. I see plenty of shopping options in this area. Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, Swarovski, Macy's, Armani Exchange, Burberry, Zara, Lacoste, Tiffany & Co., Barney's New York CO-OP (Soon to be just a regular Barney's, not a CO-OP), Nicole Miller, The Art of Shaving, Juicy Couture, Club Monaco, Guess, BCBG, Stuart Weitzman, Brooks Brothers, Cole Haan, Ann Taylor, Kenneth Cole, American Apparel, Urban Outfitters Flagship, Coach, Talbots, Lucky Brand Jeans, Dr. Martens, two LOFTs, True Religion, Steve Madden, Lush, Barbour, Diesel, MAC, L'Occitane en Provence, Anthropologie Flagship, Apple, Kiehl's, Tumi, Lagos, The North Face, Jack Wills, Ulta Flagship, Intermix, Free People flagship, Jacques Ferber, Joan Shepp, two H&M's, Allen Edmonds, Boyds, Madewell, Theory (under construction), Camper, J. Crew, JoS. A. Bank, Aldo, Bath & Body Works, Nine West, Express, Victoria's Secret, Suit Supply, Scotch & Soda (coming), Nordstrom (coming), Uniqlo (coming), Forever 21 (searching for space), American Eagle (searching for space), Bloomingdale's (searching for space).
Uniqlo still hasn't found a space yet?

It's odd that they still haven't found a space in Philly but they are opening 4 new stores in the Bay Area by the end of this month.
Uniqlo to open four Bay Area stores by Nov. 1 - San Jose Mercury News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City