Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most big city feeling of the group?
Montreal 32 22.54%
San Francisco 53 37.32%
Philadelphia 57 40.14%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 09:51 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

emporis.com data on the total sum of highrise buildings in each city.

Numbers are for currently existing buildings and does not include buildings currently under construction.

Number of Buildings 750'+
Philadelphia 4
San Francisco 2
Montreal 0

Number of Buildings 500'+
San Francisco 19
Philadelphia 11
Montreal 7

Number of Buildings 300'+
San Francicso 93
Philadelphia 65
Montreal 38

Number of Buildings 200'+
San Francisco 141
Philadelphia 123
Montreal 55
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 09:53 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
The bay bridge to the east bay is more than a couple miles...It's 5.8 miles from on ramp to off ramp and DT SF to DT Oakland is 10 miles or 12 to Berkeley...

It's absolutely nothing like Manhattan's relation to Brooklyn or Queens.

The surrounding of water is what creates SF's intimate atmosphere and beautiful vistas in every direction... you can't have it both ways.

In addition there is relatively no development at all going north, but you run into a giant national park in the Marin Headlands.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Philadelphia Population 2013 - World Population Review

It may be 2050 which would about the current growth rate extrapolated - but who knows that is a long way off

would need to track down the other links

Also there is a whole thread with calculations of comaprative footprint to SF

NYC, LA, Chicago, and Philly all fit more into the central footprint equivalent of SF based on the census data

I dont disagree with your pooints on commercial or hotels, why to me in the Core SF gives off a slightly larger feel

and are you suggesting SF has more industrial and port space, let alone airpoirt space

Also the point on this was more in that there is a lot of space in Philly that isnt developed, same with other cities agree, just see less in SF including airports, ports, parks, efineries, abandoned 100 yo industrial wastelands etc.

I like SF just find some comments to be over the the top. I think SF gives off a larger feel in the direct core - Philly probably has the larger urban footprint (again depending on where you set your markers)

also you didnt even include NE Philadelphia airport another 1,250 acres, the ports, refineries etc.

But again this really wasnt the point to begin with

Last edited by kidphilly; 10-23-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I thought about this some more.. and it's pretty easy to gauge how big a city feels by walking. You can walk clear through the bustling areas of SF rather quickly even on a 1 day visit, so I'm not sure why it should be judged on a 10-20 sq mile core or whatever. That just means SF is busier, which it is, not the biggest feeling city. Again, the only way I see SF would feel like the bigger city is if you were a tourist and just never left 10-20 blocks from your hotel downtown. For instance in Chicago one could walk or bike from the South Loop all the way to Rogers Park (Which many people do, especially biking) and be in an area of constant urban development for around 15 miles. That gives the city a "big" feel... b/c it is.

Last edited by grapico; 10-23-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Does San Francisco have anything like Northwest Philadelphia in the city limits?

-about 30 sq miles of very leafy and low density neighborhoods comprised of majority Single Family Home and Twins with nice sized yards. Each neighborhood functions as it's own small town with a downtown area surrounded by mainly residential streets-Chestnut Hill, East and West Mount Airy, West Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough/Andorra. Manayunk, Cedarbrook and East Germantown are nearly all rowhomes though. There are also three commuter rail lines.

I'm just saying density isn't everything. Cities don't really get more structurally dense than Philly in the rest of the city -Center City, North, South, West, Southwest, Northeast-but the neighborhoods in Northwest Philadelphia are a very beautiful way to enjoy the accessibilty and convenience of the city with more space and nature.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM

349 posts, read 573,323 times
I think the one detriment to Philly's actual numbers are the slums. They bring the density numbers down, but they still have the bare bones of urbanity (Structural density). On the good side, the infrastructure makes redevelopment and re-densification much easier. Philly got it bad, but nowhere near as bad as Detroit, or even parts of the Southside of Chicago: http://goo.gl/maps/EVf89

Old 10-23-2013, 10:11 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,115,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
The bay bridge to the east bay is more than a couple miles...It's 5.8 miles from on ramp to off ramp and DT SF to DT Oakland is 10 miles or 12 to Berkeley...

It's absolutely nothing like Manhattan's relation to Brooklyn or Queens.

The surrounding of water is what creates SF's intimate atmosphere and beautiful vistas in every direction... you can't have it both ways.

In addition there is relatively no development at all going north, but you run into a giant national park in the Marin Headlands.
I quoted 4 miles (2 spans of a couple miles each is what I said in addition to that), so I wasn't vastly underestimating distance. Also DT Oakland to DT Berkeley is only 4-5 miles tops, by Google Maps (have you been?) Telegraph Ave and other streets are major commercial lined streets that essentially link the two cities so that there is no "break".

After having made the point that distance is the big difference here, I stressed that Oakland's RELATIONSHIP to San Francisco mirrors Brooklyn's RELATIONSHIP to Manhattan. I never said they "look" the same. Never said Oakland's the same size or density. Oakland functions much like Brooklyn, and I've never met anyone who doesn't acknowledge that. The comparison is made in any major publication all the time. Oakland is where hipsters go and where people priced out of SF go. It has a demographic that's actually more similar to Brooklyn than SF (more African Americans for instance). It's connected to "The City" (SF being the other city in America where that term is used) by a bridge (12 lanes) carrying 280,000 cars a day and 4 subway routes carrying 400,000+ riders a day, similar to the way Brooklyn in connected to Manhattan by bridges and tunnels. In fact, SF is the only other city beside New York (Manhattan) where the term "Bridge & Tunnel" is used to describe lower class or suburban/visitor people. I could go on - I'm not inventing these similarities.

Oakland could in fact have a shorter bridge like the Brooklyn Bridge, and be "closer" to SF, and it would still be the same as it is today and function the same way - a refuge from SF's exorbitant prices and other things that tend to push people out of "The City".

Overall, I like millions of other Americans can easily draw the same comparisons between Oakland and Brooklyn, distance to their main cities obviously not being one of them (though they are both separated by water and would likely otherwise just be connected).

Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM

In terms of industrialized land in Philadelphia - this report estimates 18,000 acres or nearly 28 sq miles

There is also 10,000 acres in the Farimont park system alone within the city - another 16 sq miles

And about 4 sq miles of airports

http://www.pidc-pa.org/userfiles/fil...ember_2010.pdf

Those 3 alone represent 36% of the non water sq miles of philadelphia

Old 10-23-2013, 10:18 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Does San Francisco have anything like Northwest Philadelphia in the city limits?

-about 30 sq miles of very leafy and low density neighborhoods comprised of majority Single Family Home and Twins with nice sized yards. Each neighborhood functions as it's own small town with a downtown area surrounded by mainly residential streets-Chestnut Hill, East and West Mount Airy, West Germantown, East Falls, Roxborough/Andorra. Manayunk, Cedarbrook and East Germantown are nearly all rowhomes.

I'm just saying density isn't everything. Cities don't really get more structurally dense than Philly in the rest of the city -North, South, West, Southwest, Northeast-but the neighborhoods in Northwest Philadelphia are a very beautiful way to enjoy the accessibilty of the city with more space and nature.
Yeah, Philadephia has tons of homes on massively sized lots, many areas look downright rural.

This is by far the largest residential lot in SF:
http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/11/36/70/2485788/5/628x471.jpg

The home of the Chinese Consul General in Monterey Heights, just shy of 1 acre, most of which is steep hillside. I also know of a home in Pacific Heights that takes up half a city block, but generally even in SFs less dense areas, lots tend to be smaller than similar areas in other cities.

Last edited by JMT; 10-24-2013 at 06:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, Philadephia has tons of homes on massively sized lots, many areas look downright rural.

This is by far the largest residential lot in SF:

The home of the Chinese Consul General in Monterey Heights, just shy of 1 acre, most of which is steep hillside. I also know of a home in Pacific Heights that takes up half a city block, but generally even in SFs less dense areas, lots tend to be smaller than similar areas in other cities.

yes and no - NW Philly - say Chestnut hill would be the distance of the other side of GGB in the relative sense - but definately some large lot mansions there. A great main street but feels less city to me personally - great area though

not many large lot in closer though - this one always felt out of place to me however

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Phila...341.78,,0,-0.4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City