Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most big city feeling of the group?
Montreal 32 22.54%
San Francisco 53 37.32%
Philadelphia 57 40.14%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Wait did you just say Philadelphia does not have a consistency of urbanity? Say what? haha.

Aerial View, South Philadelphia & Skyline | TIA INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Even though im not a fan of high density areas,that is a pretty cool picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM

411 posts, read 720,095 times
If SF doesn't quite feel like the biggest now, it will within 10 years given all the construction and ppl moving into the Bay Area

Old 04-19-2013, 01:49 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
On the density side of things, I think Montreal is being overlooked here a bit.

City: 1,649,519 | 141 square mile | 11,701 people per square mile (pretty much the same as Philadelphia)

I'm not entirely positive because it's been a very long time since I've been there but really I cant imagine too many more active downtowns in North America than Montreal either, not saying more active than either of these two American cities but just want to throw in other factors that someone with experience in all three (fairly recent at that) can expand on.

Aerial (night):

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Aerial (day):

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Satellite:

Montreal

If we wanted to use density over the full area, then Urban Area:

Montreal: 3,450,000 | 597 square miles | 5,800 people per square mile

Street level:

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

It's also blessed with one of the most active rapid transit systems (38th in the world for annual ridership) and one of the most comprehensive (and efficient) ones in North America.

Montreal is clearly not going to win the expanse argument here but I think it can solidly make the argument for compression just as much as the other two can. It's taking the public transit one without a doubt.

That said, my vote went to San Francisco/Bay Area overall from city to urban area to metropolitan level as most consistent, I suppose.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-19-2013 at 06:38 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
On the density side of things, I think Montreal is being overlooked here a bit.

City: 1,649,519 | 141 square mile | 11,701 people per square mile (pretty much the same as Philadelphia)

I'm not entirely positive because it's been a very long time since I've been there but really I cant imagine too many more active downtowns in North America than Montreal either, not saying more active than either of these two American cities but just want to throw in other factors that someone with experience in all three (fairly recent at that) can expand on.

Aerial (night):

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Aerial (day):

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Satellite:

Montreal

If we wanted to use density over the full area, then Urban Area:

Montreal: 3,450,000 | 597 square miles | 5,800 people per square mile

Street level:

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

Montreal

It's also blessed with one of the most active rapid transit systems (38th in the world for annual ridership) and one of the most comprehensive (and efficient) ones in North America.

Montreal is clearly not going to win the expanse argument here but I think it can solidly make the argument for compression just as much as the other two can. It's taking the public transit one without a doubt.

That said, my vote went to San Francisco/Bay Area overall from city to urban area to metropolitan level as most consistent, I suppose.

I agree
Density-wise it's San Fran>Montreal>Philly and it feels it even moreso on ground level
Size-wise its Philly>San Fran>Montreal but there is sort of an unofficial "where I feel safe to go border that eliminates much of Philly compared to San Fran and Montreal.

I think altogether these are very comparable cities but the size disadvantage is keeping the votes from Montreal.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:03 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I agree
Density-wise it's San Fran>Montreal>Philly and it feels it even moreso on ground level
Size-wise its Philly>San Fran>Montreal but there is sort of an unofficial "where I feel safe to go border that eliminates much of Philly compared to San Fran and Montreal.

I think altogether these are very comparable cities but the size disadvantage is keeping the votes from Montreal.
Yeah, pretty much spot on to what I think too in regards to Montreal and size. Overall, the Bay Area has an unfathomable cohesive density ringing and connecting Oakland, San Jose, and San Francisco which sort of pulls it ahead of Montreal itself.

We should picture this thread up and get the statistics rolling too. It has the potential to be a more worthwhile discussion than it has been so far.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-19-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I agree

I understand what your saying, but just because Philadelphia had bad areas, you can't say that that area isn't dense because it is..... North Philadelphia hits a density of 47k ppsm. And center city hits a density of 127k ppsm. And Phillys density does not stop.... So just because its a ghetto you can't throw the density away.. Anyway Phillys good areas are equal to SF's Phillys just a bigger city.. Double SF population. And the same as Montreal with close borders Philly 1.6 Million t 135sm and Montreal is 1.6 Million at 141sm. Soooooooo, what's your point!

Old 04-19-2013, 10:24 PM

573 posts, read 1,050,430 times
Philadelphia sustains a high population density over a broader area than San Francisco. There are some very dangerous areas in Philly that also adds to that big city feel. Philly is an enormous city and at a time had 2.2 million people in the city limits so the dense infrastructure is still there. Philly has a huge downtown with el trains and subways through out the city. There are narrow streets and wall to wall houses for miles and miles in Philadelphia. When you are in Philadelphia you definitely know that your not in Kansas anymore.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLS_TC View Post
Philadelphia sustains a high population density over a broader area than San Francisco. There are some very dangerous areas in Philly that also adds to that big city feel. Philly is an enormous city and at a time had 2.2 million people in the city limits so the dense infrastructure is still there. Philly has a huge downtown with el trains and subways through out the city. There are narrow streets and wall to wall houses for miles and miles in Philadelphia. When you are in Philadelphia you definitely know that your not in Kansas anymore.
Amen, bad areas don't take away the fact that its still denser then many cities. Philly is a very large city, twice the population of San Francisco. And it does that in only 135sm with only 80sm built on( because parks and airports and so on.). I don't see how you can call SF bigger.zz the cores are identical, while SF has slightly higher density in core, Philadelphias density never stops, that's why it's a city of 1.6 million and not 800,000 like SF.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
I understand what your saying, but just because Philadelphia had bad areas, you can't say that that area isn't dense because it is..... North Philadelphia hits a density of 47k ppsm. And center city hits a density of 127k ppsm. And Phillys density does not stop.... So just because its a ghetto you can't throw the density away.. Anyway Phillys good areas are equal to SF's Phillys just a bigger city.. Double SF population. And the same as Montreal with close borders Philly 1.6 Million t 135sm and Montreal is 1.6 Million at 141sm. Soooooooo, what's your point!
I never said that you "throw away" anything. If you notice I put Philly as the largest city size-wise. I just was commenting on the biggest FEELING of a city. If I (and most people) don't venture to the neighborhoods then you don't realize how large it really is.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I think Montreal feels much much larger than Baltimore, I'd say a lot closer to Boston in big city feeling. The heavy rail subway network is expansive and actually quite comparable to Philadelphia and San Francisco's mass transit systems. The metro area sprawls more to the West and North. If you take the freeways out of town heading towards Ottawa & Toronto on the western side of the island you see a lot more urban/suburban development. Also to the north the metro sprawls quite a ways going into Laval. South of the St. Lawrence River coming up from Vermont, yes it is indeed very rural until a just few miles before the bridges into the city. Anyhow, Montreal is and does feel smaller than Philly and San Francisco, but certainly feels a lot bigger than Baltimore.

Here is the Cote Vertu area of the Montreal, still a good amount of urban density about 9-10 miles outside of the core...
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2700+...XcVF20SFGjO0BA

and north of the city around St. Therese about 30 miles out the urban/suburban tempo starts to pick up here on Quebec freeway 15
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Montr...22.35,,0,-4.29
Baltimore was a bad comparison, but I've spent quite a bit of time in Montreal and I still don't think it feels as big as Boston. Especially near the city center. I do agree that Montreal still definitely feels smaller than the other two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City