Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 01:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Isn't Las Vegas already sort of our Dubai? I mean I guess if we just built more high-rises, it'd be closer to to being similar to Dubai, but the development of the Vegas Strip is sort of similar already.

I always thought that Dubai itself was just an attempt by the UAE to create an Arab version of Vegas--minus the Sin City attractions of gaming, 24-hour booze, and sex....
ya vegas already has dubai style projects. for example, a big percentage of the funding for citycenter came from dubai world. and it was also the biggest privately funded construction project in US history, so definitely dubai-style there.

and dubai is kinda the sin city for that region. it's certainly the regional center for sex, working girls from all over the world flock there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 01:51 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Really?? I always read and hear about Dubai is getting this..and the worlds newest/biggest/tallest/fastest/first this!!
Its getting better, but the real estate market crashed there horribly in 2008 and is only now beginning to recover.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:20 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Tampa, But Miami is about as Dubai as it gets in America...

Old 04-18-2013, 02:50 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Kansas/Nebraska border. Preferably in the center, right where state route 81 crosses the border. If you're going to build a mega city from scratch, why not start in the middle of the country?

Relatively flat land provides easy terrain to build on. While obviously not a seaport, the central location would make it ideal for a major hub airport as well as roadway distribution. Run an extension of I-135 (which itself is an extension of I-35) from Salinas, KS in straight line up to at least I-94 (I'd have it run into I-29 to continue on into Winnipeg). Run various connector highways from different directions off of I-70 and I-80.

While you're at it, turn it into a major rail hub. improve rail lines coming to/from the city to allow for major freight traffic. Run high speed passenger rail trunk lines to Denver (West), Kansas City (East), Omaha (North), and Oklahoma City (South) and beyond. Screw it. Make them 250mph+ maglev trains. Have an extensive light rail and subway network within the city itself.

For entertainment, relocate Jacksonville's football team (they'll be a chiefs rival), Miami's baseball team, Sacramento's Basketball team (sorry) and any one of a number of NHL teams that is located in cities that don't draw too well (Phoenix? Columbus?). Build an F1 track, world class opera house, etc.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:57 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Is there any flat, wet, unpopulated land left in Central Florida? If so, there. It would be just like building a new Disneyworld except taller.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
ya vegas already has dubai style projects. for example, a big percentage of the funding for citycenter came from dubai world. and it was also the biggest privately funded construction project in US history, so definitely dubai-style there.

and dubai is kinda the sin city for that region. it's certainly the regional center for sex, working girls from all over the world flock there.
Really? Is that sort of an open secret or is it somehow discreetly tolerated by the local government(or do they crack down on it occasionally)? Just curious since I've heard news stories of foreign tourists getting arrested for simply kissing in public or someone getting arrested for dirty text messages in Dubai--though I suppose what goes on behind closed doors is another matter entirely.

I've never actually been to Dubai, though I had a Saudi friend who often remarked that they thought it was okay, but that Abu Dhabi was actually more interesting and had a brighter future.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:13 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Phoenix
that city is soon going to run out of water...

Old 04-18-2013, 03:14 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,214,312 times
I think the new dubia would be someplace really flat like chicago, i say south Dakota or north since they dont have megacities yet.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,547,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Really?? I always read and hear about Dubai is getting this..and the worlds newest/biggest/tallest/fastest/first this!!
They are, it is a cool place, but they are also building just for the sake of having those things. It is hardly practical what they are doing. I think we in the US are a bit more practical and build office towers out of need and not for want. That is why we don't have the tallest building in the world. We don't really need it.

Anyway, I'd pick somewhere out in the boonies to develop a new metropolis. I don't know where, specifically, but we have a lot of empty space out there.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:07 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Miami or Las Vegas.
Miami has the hurricane issue to contend with which would limit the height of super skyscrapers.
Why would a hurricane stop Miami from building a supertall? It already has plans for a 1,010 foot skyscraper that's been approved. Besides Hong Kong & Shanghai have supertalls and they are prone to typhoons as well. Do you think the buildings are going to topple over or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City