Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city would would you rather visit?
Atlanta 41 21.47%
San Diego 85 44.50%
Seattle 65 34.03%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times

Advertisements

Architecture : None are great architecturally, so I'd probably give it to Seattle by default.

Diversity: Atlanta

Downtown: Seattle, then Atlanta

Culture: Atlanta has the most distinct culture, being the hub of the South, but Seattle and San Diego have unique cultures as well.

Economy - Future?: Seattle, easily.

Food - Pricing and Diversity: Seattle has a great variety of available cuisines, an innovative food scene, and some of the best seafood and Southeast Asian food in the country. I'd put Atlanta second and San Diego at a distant third

Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban: Seattle for urban, Atlanta for Suburban.

Nightlife - Atlanta has the most active and vibrant nightlife by far, but I'd say Seattle has the best bar scene of the three.

Parks - San Diego, because Balboa Park is one of the best urban parks in the country.

Safety - Tied for San Diego and Seattle.

Shopping - Seattle has the slight edge over Atlanta.

Weather - San Diego and it's not even close.

Overall, I'd argue that most of these categories (besides weather) don't have nearly as much to do with a good vacation destination in people's minds as sun, beach, and a relaxing vibe do. Hence, I (and I imagine most others) would prefer to vacation in San Diego during most of the year because of the stellar, sunny weather, the amazing beaches and the almost resort-like vibe that much of the City has. Seattle during its (relatively short) summer, though, has pretty awesome weather too and becomes very vibrant, although still doesn't have the beach resort-like vibe of San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
For a visit San Diego.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:47 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
San Diego!!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM

27 posts, read 40,482 times
Architecture- Seattle
Diversity- Seattle/SD
Downtown-SD
Culture-Seattle
Economy - Future?- ATL
Food - Pricing and Diversity- SD/ATL
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban- Urban/Seattle Suburbs/SD
Nightlife- SD if you like really pretty women
Parks- Seattle
Safety- ALL
Shopping- SD because distance to LA
Weather- SD all day

Old 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM

27 posts, read 40,482 times
Default Cali All Day!

ATL is okay but compared to the SoCal lifestyle, it is not even close. The Deep South has a racial division that is deep rooted and therefore gives a huge advantage to SD. Not to mention Beaches, Clubs, Bars, Suburbs are crazy rich and LA is a short drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I haven't been to Seattle, so I can't compare the three. Atlanta beats San Diego in most everything else aside from diversity and downtown.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20Vision View Post
ATL is okay but compared to the SoCal lifestyle, it is not even close. The Deep South has a racial division that is deep rooted and therefore gives a huge advantage to SD. Not to mention Beaches, Clubs, Bars, Suburbs are crazy rich and LA is a short drive.
Despite this racial division you speak of and the undeniable history of the South (BTW as me and other Atlanta posters point out over and over ATL has had a much more progressive history than other Deep South Cities) Atlanta is loved as a city by many African Americans because it is so progressive and has such a rich varied black population. The first all black female crew ever to fly flew out of Atlanta from an Atlanta based airline, The first black owned major movie studio is in Atlanta and being expanded, Atlanta is loaded with successful black music executives and company owners, the first black owned major insurance company was based in Atlanta and it's owner was one of the countries first black millionaires, We had the first black mayor of a major American city, a very highly ranked engineering school that graduates the most black engineers of any school in the nation, The highest percentage of college educated blacks and the highest concentration of black millionaires in the nation.

In other cities you see lots of blacks in the ghetto, much fewer in middle class neighborhoods, and almost none in wealthy neighborhoods. In Atlanta you see plenty of Blacks living in all three. It's one of very few major cities where that can be said.

I find it curious that the cities on City Data where people brag the most about how little racial conflict they have are the cities with the smallest percentages of blacks (San Diego 8% Black). Let that grow to 55% Black like in Atlanta. If you still are bragging about how well you all get along (no Riots, police brutality and other incidents like your neighbor L.A.) then I will believe things are as superior to the South as you think they are.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Architecture - I can't really comment on the architecture of San Diego, but Atlanta's architecture is either sleek and gorgeous or bland and cookie-cutter. There really is no middle ground.
This is EXTREMELY inaccurate; I don't think you're very familiar with the city of Atlanta or the historic cores of surrounding areas. Otherwise, you'd know that Fairlie-Poplar, Sweet Auburn, Castleberry Hill, Old Fourth Ward, Virginia-Highland, Grant Park, Inman Park, West End, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village, Cabbagetown, Vinings, downtown Decatur, Historic Marietta Square, etc. all feature various historic architectural types. I'm guessing you've only really encountered the commercial areas of Midtown and Buckhead and the 'burbs.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Rather live in Atlanta but vacation is Sn Diego.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM

42 posts, read 63,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Despite this racial division you speak of and the undeniable history of the South (BTW as me and other Atlanta posters point out over and over ATL has had a much more progressive history than other Deep South Cities) Atlanta is loved as a city by many African Americans because it is so progressive and has such a rich varied black population. The first all black female crew ever to fly flew out of Atlanta from an Atlanta based airline, The first black owned major movie studio is in Atlanta and being expanded, Atlanta is loaded with successful black music executives and company owners, the first black owned major insurance company was based in Atlanta and it's owner was one of the countries first black millionaires, We had the first black mayor of a major American city, a very highly ranked engineering school that graduates the most black engineers of any school in the nation, The highest percentage of college educated blacks and the highest concentration of black millionaires in the nation.

In other cities you see lots of blacks in the ghetto, much fewer in middle class neighborhoods, and almost none in wealthy neighborhoods. In Atlanta you see plenty of Blacks living in all three. It's one of very few major cities where that can be said.

I find it curious that the cities on City Data where people brag the most about how little racial conflict they have are the cities with the smallest percentages of blacks (San Diego 8% Black). Let that grow to 55% Black like in Atlanta. If you still are bragging about how well you all get along (no Riots, police brutality and other incidents like your neighbor L.A.) then I will believe things are as superior to the South as you think they are.
AAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEENNNNNN!!!! This by far is the best post of 2013!!! you hit the nail in the coffin right here you covered alot of territory with this post.!!! You said everything that Ive been wanting to say since Ive been lurking through these City Data Forum threads!!!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20/20Vision View Post
Architecture- Seattle
Diversity- Seattle/SD
Downtown-SD
Culture-Seattle
Economy - Future?- ATL
Food - Pricing and Diversity- SD/ATL
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban- Urban/Seattle Suburbs/SD
Nightlife- SD if you like really pretty women
Parks- Seattle
Safety- ALL
Shopping- SD because distance to LA
Weather- SD all day
I'm not sure how you could objectively argue that downtown San Diego is better than downtown Seattle. Based on what criteria?

Also - how does Seattle have the worst food of the three? It currently has one of the most revered culinary scenes in the country (Seattle Episode: The Layover With Anthony Bourdain: Travel Channel), along with outstanding seafood, excellent Asian food, a diverse offering of virtually any ethnic cuisine you could want, the best farmer's market in the country, an emphasis on quality meat and produce. I don't see how San Diego or Atlanta come close, to be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City