Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Philadelphia Offer Better Quality Arts/Culture than New York?
Yes 13 18.84%
No 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:23 AM

287 posts, read 338,497 times

Advertisements

Well, if you notice the fact that New York has to import talent from across the country and the world just to boost its cultural scene while Philly has the best home-grown talent of any city in the U.S.

The bottom line is Philly has much better LOCAL talent than New York, where New York borrows its arts and culture from other places.

Also, if anyone can find a better museum district than the Ben Franklin Parkway, a better performing arts concentration than Avenue of the Arts, or a better historical neighborhood than Society Hill and Old City, then I'll admit that Philly isn't the gold standard. Not to forget, Made in America is happening again.

Can New York pull off something even half as good as the Mummers or Philly's 4th of July celebration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:07 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,772,966 times
Philly does have some solid offerings, but I would not put it in NYC's league, or even in the top 3 in this country.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM

465 posts, read 867,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Well, if you notice the fact that New York has to import talent from across the country and the world just to boost its cultural scene while Philly has the best home-grown talent of any city in the U.S.
On what basis do you make such a ridiculous claim? You've somehow figured the birthplaces of all creative talent in the two cities?

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM

725 posts, read 1,203,837 times
I never realized it but TBH all these things that the Big Geo stated are unmatched, or equaled by other cities. I mean heck, no city honestly has a better neighborhood then society hill tbh. Phillys problem is its ghetto or run down areas are so much so, that these excellent areas are quickly overlooked. The city truly is a dimond in the rough. When I look at some streets in west Philly it's so sad that the wealthy ran out of them, it's some of the most colorful, beautiful architecture, but its simply ignored. Philly would be a gold standard if it didn't decline so hard, but fortunately it still kept amazing areas through it all. Also the Ben Franklin parkway is kinda unmatched in the architectual/planned part of things.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:07 PM

9,333 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Parts of West Philadelphia are improving, much thanks to Drexel and Penn. Philadelphia in its past was always more industrial, and when everything began to moderize Philadelphia took a hit. But really it is one of the oldest cities in the nation has remained one of the largest cities in the country for hundreds of years (along with only NY). And I only see positive changes coming for Philadelphia, I would say by 2020 its a safe bet that Philadelphia will be considered a world class city, and is already considered world class to some.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:17 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,150,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Yeah if Im not mistaken the OP seems to make a habit of bombastic statements in regards to boosting Philly. Its an anti-Philly agenda imo.

I dont know how you quantify which is the best or second best cultural city in the USA. My guess is after Manhattan you can make a case for a 1/2 dozen or more cities that all have very formidable cultural attractions.

Philly may not be the second best cultural city. However you could probably make the case that the Ben Franklin Parkway(Philly) may be the best designed cultural area in the USA. Designed in 1900 after Paris Champs Elysees.

The New Barnes Museum, A sharp New Mormon Temple ,A Skate park, new residential mid rises are all under construction along the Parkway. They are also supposed to build a new ampitheater down near the circle by the art museum.

Those are some amazing shots!! I swear the people who designed the Ben Franklin Parkway, National Mall, and the Museum Mile were genuises! Wish there were more like them these days.

Looks like a lot of people in that last pic, the middle section were the fountain looks really nice.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,947,025 times
Philadelphia has a killer art scene/culture, but it's definitely far behind New York. Los Angeles and arguably Chicago and San Francisco are all ahead of Philadelphia as well. I'd give Philadelphia the lead over Boston though. Regardless of where these rank against each other, they are all world class centers of art.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:55 PM

230 posts, read 284,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
Personally I think Philly's the gold standard for arts and culture in the U.S. Center City's offerings easily outclasses Manhattan in QUALITY, even though Midtown has a larger mass.
The OP makes some really outlandish claims throughout this thread. Not sure if he or she is serious, but whether intentional or not, these are the kind of claims that make people think that Philly boosters are delusional homers. I do believe that Philadelphia's artistic and cultural scene are seriously underestimated, and in another thread I stated that I would stack our institutions against any city in the world in terms of quality. And I stand by that. I definitely think we're top four or five in the US. You want to factor in Boston, San Francisco, DC, etc, I'll hear your argument, and respect your opinion because all are home to world class institutions in any number of fields. I don't think we take a back seat to any of them, but that's subjective. But the idea that Center City delivers some sort of smackdown to Manhattan in terms of arts and culture is laughable. I do think it's a much closer competition than people who've never been here and whose only image of the city is 'Rocky' and cheese steaks understand. But, C'mon.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,145,966 times
I said no. The only place that can come close is Los Angeles. But do people really care that much about "arts"? I mean, people on here seem to think New York is the best because of the arts, but do people really go to see operas and visit museums everyday? I'm curious...

Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I said no. The only place that can come close is Los Angeles. But do people really care that much about "arts"? I mean, people on here seem to think New York is the best because of the arts, but do people really go to see operas and visit museums everyday? I'm curious...
We all know the answer to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City