Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
DC 91 50.56%
Philly 89 49.44%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 PM

587 posts, read 1,403,745 times

Advertisements

I like Philly better than DC. Philly is much more laidback than DC. DC is so pretentious and over-competitive that it ruins in the whole vibe of life for the region. Even in traffic it's like people are trying to prove that they are more important than you in DC trying to whiz past everybody in hectic beltway traffic. DC people live to work. DC people lacks attractive and interesting people. It gets really, really depressing after awhile. DC's art scene is lackluster compared to Philly.

I like Philly, but Philly is deceiving. When I go to Center City, I see all types of mixed race couples and interracial people. This makes me feel at home as a mixed race person from the Bay Area. However, in reality, Philly is a very racist and segregated city. You wouldn't know that as someone who only visits Center City like most tourists and out of towners. Also, Center City has many attractive people, whereas those people are nowhere to be seen in the rest of the city. But all in all, I like Philly women better than DC women. In Philly, you see all types of different complexions and looks that you don't see in DC. DC is very black and white. White people in DC are waspy looking and black folks in DC are very Caribbean and African looking. Not that's there anything wrong with that but the city of Philly has more diversity than DC with Philly's large Puerto Rican population as well as sizable Asian American populations.

I like Philly because you can just wear a leather jacket, jeans and timbs and fit in no matter who you are. Philly is just so much more down-to-earth. In DC, you have to be wearing a shirt and slacks business casual at all times and if you aren't black and from DC or PG County, don't try to dress like the black natives and try to fit in because you never will, those folks are too narrow-minded and provincial to ever accept an outsider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,398,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
I like Philly better than DC. Philly is much more laidback than DC. DC is so pretentious and over-competitive that it ruins in the whole vibe of life for the region. Even in traffic it's like people are trying to prove that they are more important than you in DC trying to whiz past everybody in hectic beltway traffic. DC people live to work. DC people lacks attractive and interesting people. It gets really, really depressing after awhile. DC's art scene is lackluster compared to Philly.

I like Philly, but Philly is deceiving. When I go to Center City, I see all types of mixed race couples and interracial people. This makes me feel at home as a mixed race person from the Bay Area. However, in reality, Philly is a very racist and segregated city. You wouldn't know that as someone who only visits Center City like most tourists and out of towners. Also, Center City has many attractive people, whereas those people are nowhere to be seen in the rest of the city. But all in all, I like Philly women better than DC women. In Philly, you see all types of different complexions and looks that you don't see in DC. DC is very black and white. White people in DC are waspy looking and black folks in DC are very Caribbean and African looking. Not that's there anything wrong with that but the city of Philly has more diversity than DC with Philly's large Puerto Rican population as well as sizable Asian American populations.

I like Philly because you can just wear a leather jacket, jeans and timbs and fit in no matter who you are. Philly is just so much more down-to-earth. In DC, you have to be wearing a shirt and slacks business casual at all times and if you aren't black and from DC or PG County, don't try to dress like the black natives and try to fit in because you never will, those folks are too narrow-minded and provincial to ever accept an outsider.
Lol only two complexions of women in DC? That's a first for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5R0PTW67Gg

And as a metro DC does have more diversity than Philadelphia, a lot more.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:06 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol only two complexions of women in DC? That's a first for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5R0PTW67Gg

And as a metro DC does have more diversity than Philadelphia, a lot more.
This. Rep points going your way.

I'm not surprised Lunatic espoused that BS on here after getting chased out of the MD Suburbs forum for that same language from his very own thread. If it was that bad on my home MD Suburbs forum, I can only imagine how much heat he would've got had he posted on the DC forum.

And honestly, someone from the Bay Area of all places should be last person to judge DC in the looks department.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:52 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,017 posts, read 7,398,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
This. Rep points going your way.

I'm not surprised Lunatic espoused that BS on here after getting chased out of the MD Suburbs forum for that same language from his very own thread. If it was that bad on my home MD Suburbs forum, I can only imagine how much heat he would've got had he posted on the DC forum.

And honestly, someone from the Bay Area of all places should be last person to judge DC in the looks department.
Lol oh I believe it, not everyone is made out for living here, I do understand. I'm doing well though.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 PM

391 posts, read 450,084 times
dc is modern, but philly go hard

Old 01-27-2015, 11:03 AM

68 posts, read 88,019 times
I currently live in Philadelphia, and before that lived in DC for four years.

I am conflicted on this one, but I will have to say I prefer DC. Why?

Well, for one DC is immensely more clean than Philly. I do appreciate the charm and character of the center city neighborhoods in Philly, but north Philly and west Philly (excluding University City) are bad off. North Philly can look like a warzone with rows and rows of blighted houses with broken glass and bullet holes and youths running around with no supervision.

DC is also much more forward-thinking. Philly has a select group of people that really want to push things forward, but get all tied up with red-tape and people who refuse change. It's a long-standing battle here to get anything done. The school systems in Philly are absolutely awful. Just take a trip through North Philly and look at how many abandoned schools there are.

I also really dislike the general attitude of Philly people. Just rough around the edges. Now some people really quite enjoy that aspect, but it puts me off. Going to any of the games here (Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, Sixers) will give you a glimpse of the people I'm talking about. Not my cup o tea.

Now, I can say that although I don't like the attitude of Philly people, I can at least appreciate their genuineness. You get them for face value that's for sure. No one minces words here. I'll give them that.

Also, food in Philly is some of the best I've had. DC can't hold a light to Philly in regards to good eats. Most of the stuff in DC is over-hyped and super trendy. So, Philly definitely wins the food department.

All-in-all, I would chose DC but I still don't even love DC that much.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:12 AM

7,246 posts, read 10,485,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARS View Post
DC is also much more forward-thinking. Philly has a select group of people that really want to push things forward, but get all tied up with red-tape and people who refuse change. It's a long-standing battle here to get anything done. The school systems in Philly are absolutely awful. Just take a trip through North Philly and look at how many abandoned schools there are.
Well, to be fair, DC public schools aren't winning any accolades, either. The resistance to change is sometimes frustrating and downright nonsensical at times in Philly. Litter/blight are also still considerable issues, for sure, although at least the city is making progress.

At the same time, however, the Philly approach is balanced against the "development at no cost" approach that seems to run rampant in DC. At this point, DC has become too much of a transient apartment ghetto and is sorely lacking in organic/local charm and consideration of neighborhood impacts. Overall, I think there is a middle-ground.

Quote:
I also really dislike the general attitude of Philly people. Just rough around the edges. Now some people really quite enjoy that aspect, but it puts me off. Going to any of the games here (Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, Sixers) will give you a glimpse of the people I'm talking about. Not my cup o tea.
There is an "attytood" that one can find in Philadelphia, and for some that can be off-putting who aren't used to it, but I also think it's an often overblown stereotype.

Also, after living in DC for a number of years, I have definitely come to miss some "attytood" and the genuineness compared to the cold, overly-serious and laughably pretentious personality of many Washingtonians. Philadelphians also have a FAR better sense of humor.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-27-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-27-2015, 11:15 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,419,032 times
Quote:
I currently live in Philadelphia, and before that lived in DC for four years.

I am conflicted on this one, but I will have to say I prefer DC. Why?

Well, for one DC is immensely more clean than Philly. I do appreciate the charm and character of the center city neighborhoods in Philly, but north Philly and west Philly (excluding University City) are bad off. North Philly can look like a warzone with rows and rows of blighted houses with broken glass and bullet holes and youths running around with no supervision.

Now, I can say that although I don't like the attitude of Philly people, I can at least appreciate their genuineness. You get them for face value that's for sure. No one minces words here. I'll give them that.

Also, food in Philly is some of the best I've had. DC can't hold a light to Philly in regards to good eats. Most of the stuff in DC is over-hyped and super trendy. So, Philly definitely wins the food department.

All-in-all, I would chose DC but I still don't even love DC that much.
Philly people are nothing compared to Long Island and Jersey Italian girls they will rip you a new ******* and they are rough. Jewish girls as well from NYC don't sugar coat anything and tell you to your face what they feel, much crazier than Philly people.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,878,613 times
While I personally hated living in Washington for factors that were out of the city's control (so I am not putting the blame on the city itself), I still have more than just a "soft spot" for Washington. I quite love the actual city itself, yes, at times wish it was warmer, wish it was larger, wish it wasn't a three hour drive to a GOOD beach but everything else checks out for me. It's just right, cosmopolitan enough, international enough, clean enough, urbanism is sexy clean enough (for America anyway), nightlife is just fun enough, the cuisine is versatile enough, everything it has is appropriate in it's offerings.

Washington for me anyways.

Oh and while I'm not a Wizards fan (Laker fan), John Wall is awesome human being (watch his tribute game to the girl that passed away due to cancer versus Boston earlier this season). Heart melted.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:26 PM

313 posts, read 333,165 times
Philly is a real city . I worked in D.C. and didn't like it there . The people I worked with were from small towns in the south or midwest . Their Idea of a city was any thing over 50 k . So yea D.C. is a big deal to them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City