Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
DC 91 50.56%
Philly 89 49.44%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:59 PM

27,276 posts, read 28,346,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
people havent really elaborated why they picked DC
For me, it's largely because DC has a stronger and more stable economy. Also, it has lots of high-paying jobs for people with technical backgrounds and advanced degrees.

These factors would be very important to me no matter where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:01 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,616,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
For me, it's largely because DC has a stronger and more stable economy. Also, it has lots of high-paying jobs for people with technical backgrounds and advanced degrees.

true, good elaboration
and the thing is even for non fed govt related jobs it mite be attractive cuz good economy affects eryth else
like with me i mite end up workin in some municipal job, which DC area seems to be hiring a lot too, its still govt, but doesnt have anyth to do with the fed jobs in DC, its only becuz local economy is good, jobs pay so municipalities can collect enuff taxes

Old 04-28-2013, 11:35 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,615,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Stronger right now? Yes. More stable? HAHAHA... no.

DC is still very heavily reliant on the government and the DC economy will ebb and flow with the government. Philadelphia has built itself into one of the most diversified economies in the country. If one sector crashes it still has a basis in every other sector.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

DC is still very heavily reliant on the government and the DC economy will ebb and flow with the government. Philadelphia has built itself into one of the most diversified economies in the country. If one sector crashes it still has a basis in every other sector.
well yea but the fed govt has to function either way, even if they have to cut, its not gon be substantial enuff to affect the DC economy

Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 AM

7,249 posts, read 10,499,059 times
Here is my take with extensive experience in both areas:

It's clear that Philly is not even keel with DC on an economic basis, but that's honestly the case with any city compared to DC. The built-in industry of the federal government has been very, very lucrative to DC and its metro area.

The primary and "spin-off" industries (contractors, IT, research firms, etc.) related to government here have made the DC area the wealthiest and highly-educated region in the country. This is not part of a critical rant, but it is an important fact, which makes for a difficult comparison when any other city is much more reliant on private sector industries/spending to support its economy.

To this end -- and especially as DC has become super-revitalized and created very attractive and livable urban neighborhoods -- I can definitely see where many people would see the allure of DC over Philly.

However, those very strong pros of DC being said, I think Philadelphia has even more potential. To be sure, the city has come a long way in its revitalization, but it still has quite a bit further to go in terms of an urban rennaissance. The good news is that the assets to be much more successful -- a great built/walkable environment with a plethora of great and relatively affordable housing stock, a great mix of industries in the region, and superb cultural institutions -- are all there.

I also think the intangible aspects are important -- there really does seem to be a much more organic/amicable vibe in Philly that you really won't find in DC. Let's just say that the business of politics can be too pervasive in the culture here; and it can create a contentious environment that you also won't find anywhere else.

Also -- an important note, in my book -- I realize that we're primarily comparing cities, but regionally speaking, I find Philadelphia's suburbs to be far more pleasant, interesting and charming, which is a nice plus once you leave the city.

So, in short, DC is a very successful city, and it should be as our nation's capital -- but there is much evidence to suggest that the coming years will be very positive for Philly as it does its "catching up" in the urban revitalization front and continues to shed its post-industrial image.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-29-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM

31,897 posts, read 34,410,920 times
The economy can cut both ways. On the one hand, you shore up the tax base, get higher property values, more gentrification (if you see that as a good thing), etc. You get better statistics for homers to use on C-D. On the other hand, you get a lot of whining about ridiculously high prices. If Philadelphia had DC's economy, you wouldn't have condos selling for this much anywhere near Rittenhouse Square. So you really have to be careful what you ask for.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The economy can cut both ways. On the one hand, you shore up the tax base, get higher property values, more gentrification (if you see that as a good thing), etc. You get better statistics for homers to use on C-D. On the other hand, you get a lot of whining about ridiculously high prices. If Philadelphia had DC's economy, you wouldn't have condos selling for this much anywhere near Rittenhouse Square. So you really have to be careful what you ask for.
it is wat it is, u take the good with the bad

Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Here is my take with extensive experience in both areas:

It's clear that Philly is not even keel with DC on an economic basis, but that's honestly the case with any city compared to DC. The built-in industry of the federal government has been very, very lucrative to DC and its metro area.

The primary and "spin-off" industries (contractors, IT, research firms, etc.) related to government here have made the DC area the wealthiest and highly-educated region in the country. This is not part of a critical rant, but it is an important fact, which makes for a difficult comparison when any other city is much more reliant on private sector industries/spending to support its economy.

To this end -- and especially as DC has become super-revitalized and created very attractive and livable urban neighborhoods -- I can definitely see where many people would see the allure of DC over Philly.

However, those very strong pros of DC being said, I think Philadelphia has even more potential. To be sure, the city has come a long way in its revitalization, but it still has quite a bit further to go in terms of an urban rennaissance. The good news is that the assets to be much more successful -- a great built/walkable environment with a plethora of great and relatively affordable housing stock, a great mix of industries in the region, and superb cultural institutions -- are all there.

I also think the intangible aspects are important -- there really does seem to be a much more organic/amicable vibe in Philly that you really won't find in DC. Let's just say that the business of politics can be too pervasive in the culture here; and it can create a contentious environment that you also won't find anywhere else.

Also -- an important note, in my book -- I realize that we're primarily comparing cities, but regionally speaking, I find Philadelphia's suburbs to be far more pleasant, interesting and charming, which is a nice plus once you leave the city.

So, in short, DC is a very successful city, and it should be as our nation's capital -- but there is much evidence to suggest that the coming years will be very positive for Philly as it does its "catching up" in the urban revitalization front and continues to shed its post-industrial image.
nice analysis, the cities are of diff style so i guess it jus depends wat one prefers too, vibe wise, philly is more blue collar so prolly more down to earth and less pretentious

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM

27,276 posts, read 28,346,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

I'm mostly focused on how things are now and likely will be in the relatively foreseeable future. Maybe 25 years from now, things will be pretty different. But I could be retired by then and looking towards other things. lol.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,112,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
My fantasy is to get a cowboy hat and cowboy boots and rent a horse and go yeehawwww down Penn Ave when no one is looking. I love that urban cowboy theme and DC is the perfect city for it, so country and cute with that urban village and horse carrages IMO
"A yo Chuck, you killing them with that joint man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City