Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:22 AM

673 posts, read 1,186,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Stop it. You won't confuse anyone from DC and Chicago with having the same accent. Just like you won't confuse DC with Baltimore's semi country accent "dug." I mean dog. LOL
DC's accent is more southern influenced and country than Baltimore. Bmore is definately more northern influenced similar to Philly. I always found Black DC accents to be country and southern Ex " carry = curry ". I agree that Chicago and DC do have similar accents within the black culture. I know many blacks in Chicago to use "jo" when addressing somebody like DC

Last edited by PurpleHaze1100; 10-20-2016 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
DC's accent is more southern influenced and country than Baltimore. Bmore is definately more northern influenced similar to Philly. I always found Black DC accents to be country and southern Ex " carry = curry ". I agree that Chicago and DC do have similar accents
Black professionals from Chicago do not have country accents. That's more of a 'hood thing. Even the ghetto ones that do sound a little country don't sound anything like someone from Atlanta or somewhere in the deep south.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Years ago when DC had a sizable working class white population the white accent was basically the same as in PG county. Which was similar to the "Bawlmer" accent but not as thick. You don't hear that accent much anymore.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 AM

292 posts, read 323,602 times
I don't really find them to be similar at all. Outside of being pretty urban, dense, and great architecture I don't think they are similar at all. Completely different vibes and culture in both cities.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Black professionals from Chicago do not have country accents. That's more of a 'hood thing. Even the ghetto ones that do sound a little country don't sound anything like someone from Atlanta or somewhere in the deep south.

Same applies with DC.

In my experience, Chicago and definitely midwestern blacks in general have more of a country twang in there accents, even if you argue some of DC blacks have a rooted accent that stemmed from the South. Blacks in not only Chicago but Detroit, Ohio etc have more of a weird twang that I can't quite put my finger on. Like when I was younger I would visit my fam in Detroit and they would say "youuse a marc buster" with that weird twang, I thought they were trying to emulate the West Coast. You can slightly hear it in LeBron's speech, Kanye, especially when he first debuted etc. It's nothing wrong with it as I have family all over the Midwest, but it stands out as a person coming from the East Coast.

The two cities accents are not even close by the way, anyone who says they sound alike is very off with that estimation.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:13 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Yeah, in my experience the Chicago black accent has a wide range. I have heard a few blacks with southern influenced accents but definitely not the majority, and definitely not black professionals. I posted this in another thread but here is just a small sample of YouTube clips in the Chicago neighborhoods (more working class blacks), and even there, the majority don't sound country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5NInONXMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6YKCfm5_Hs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GagHAVZ3uis

Lupe Fiasco and Common's accents even sound northeast-influenced to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZJrqHmiNpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8zFGLDwEic

Again, you get a range of accents, but IMO, Chicago blacks as a whole don't sound country compared to other areas outside the NE (Philly and North).

Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleHaze1100 View Post
DC's accent is more southern influenced and country than Baltimore. Bmore is definately more northern influenced similar to Philly. I always found Black DC accents to be country and southern Ex " carry = curry ". I agree that Chicago and DC do have similar accents within the black culture. I know many blacks in Chicago to use "jo" when addressing somebody like DC
Eh. The Chicago black accent and DC black accent aren't really that similar. Yeah Joe is used in both cities. Fam is also used in Chicago. Not in DC. That's just slang anyway. Not dialect or accent.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:24 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukua View Post
I don't really find them to be similar at all. Outside of being pretty urban, dense, and great architecture I don't think they are similar at all. Completely different vibes and culture in both cities.
Neither do I from living in both areas.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Same applies with DC.

In my experience, Chicago and definitely midwestern blacks in general have more of a country twang in there accents, even if you argue some of DC blacks have a rooted accent that stemmed from the South. Blacks in not only Chicago but Detroit, Ohio etc have more of a weird twang that I can't quite put my finger on. Like when I was younger I would visit my fam in Detroit and they would say "youuse a marc buster" with that weird twang, I thought they were trying to emulate the West Coast. You can slightly hear it in LeBron's speech, Kanye, especially when he first debuted etc. It's nothing wrong with it as I have family all over the Midwest, but it stands out as a person coming from the East Coast.

The two cities accents are not even close by the way, anyone who says they sound alike is very off with that estimation.
Yeah, I do agree with that assessment of Midwestern blacks, but honestly I think DC and Baltimore (especially) blacks (mostly non-professional) have a weird twang also. It sounds Southern influenced, but not exactly Southern. It's hard to explain the accent. I know DC and Baltimore blacks have different accents, but they both have twangs that are hard to categorize with any other accents. A lot of Midwestern blacks do have a similar twang, although, at least in Chicago, there's such a range that it's not always present.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Stop it. You won't confuse anyone from DC and Chicago with having the same accent. Just like you won't confuse DC with Baltimore's semi country accent "dug." I mean dog. LOL
Actually that "semi country" accent is what makes Chicago and DC sound similar. Plus, no place outside of Baltimore says dug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City