Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Local food do you prefer
Chicago 21 42.86%
New York City 28 57.14%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 12:19 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,296,453 times

Advertisements

The battle of Chicago Deep Dish Pizza and Italian Beef vs the land of Bagels and New York Style Pizza. Which city do you prefer in terms of food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:51 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,903,789 times
That's a tough one...and better hot dogs in Chicago, but personally I love bagels and I like NY style pizza more. Living in Chicago, you'd be surprised at how many locals who do NOT eat Chicago Style pizza. It's a big time tourist thing for sure. Most locals who like to dine out eat more ethnic food or something that's not italian beef/deep dish/hot dogs. For many of those people those are "every once in awhile" types of things now.

Anyway, my vote on this goes to NYC. I like NY Style pizza more than Chicago style (even though I've had great, great Chicago style) and I like bagels more than I like my hot dogs and italian beef (which again, I've had some awesome ones....nothing beats a Chicago dog in the hot dog realm)

Old 05-03-2013, 08:12 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,497,649 times
I don't eat meat, so New York obviously wins.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Can't I have bagels and Italian beef?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:23 PM

486 posts, read 862,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Can't I have bagels and Italian beef?
Yes we can and do.
Believe it or not Chicago always had bagels. I always loved Kaufman's in Skokie on Dempster Ave.
It is still family owned. You know Chicago has Jewish people too.
Deep dish pizza is a Chicago invention but Chicago also had thin crusts.

Geez, now I'm having terrible cravings.

Last edited by key4lp; 05-03-2013 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: error

Old 05-03-2013, 03:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
As much as I like Chicago as an eating town this one goes to NYC

Not sure I would choose any other ahead (potentially SF but I kind of view them as too close to call)

Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 PM

I just want to note that I just had four sausages at Hot Doug's (Hot Doug's - Avondale - Chicago, IL) ...gah they were awesome. Hard to beat that ...but still not changing my vote I guess growing up, my family's influence weighs on me more than my adopted city LOL

Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,452 times
I can honestly say NY has Chi beat in food....one of the few cities that does.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,204,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
That's a tough one...and better hot dogs in Chicago, but personally I love bagels and I like NY style pizza more. Living in Chicago, you'd be surprised at how many locals who do NOT eat Chicago Style pizza. It's a big time tourist thing for sure. Most locals who like to dine out eat more ethnic food or something that's not italian beef/deep dish/hot dogs. For many of those people those are "every once in awhile" types of things now.

Anyway, my vote on this goes to NYC. I like NY Style pizza more than Chicago style (even though I've had great, great Chicago style) and I like bagels more than I like my hot dogs and italian beef (which again, I've had some awesome ones....nothing beats a Chicago dog in the hot dog realm)
Doesn't Chicago have its own thin-crust style pizza?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Doesn't Chicago have its own thin-crust style pizza?
Yeah and I like it...it's just like a normal pizza though or I'm not well versed enough in knowing. I had a bunch at a Super Bowl party. Great stuff. The deep dish is what is known though. Walk into any deep dish pizza place on the near north side or loop (and south loop) and it's 99% tourists guaranteed almost anywhere.

Actually, this pizza/brewery place in Wicker Park was named best independent pizza place in the US a few years ago:
Piece Brewery and Pizzeria - Wicker Park - Chicago, IL

This place is good too:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/pequods-pizzeria-chicago

As far as "tourist pizza" goes (as I like to call it), the only one I will go to on purpose is Lou Malnati's. I love thin crust though. My favorite is easily neopolitan style (which you can get at a number of places in Chicago). I like NY style pizza better than typical Chicago style at the end of the day though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City