Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better chance of making a comeback
Cleveland 38 37.25%
St Louis 64 62.75%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,343 times

Advertisements

Oh, gee. OK. Feel better now? LMAO. Back to the actual topic, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:57 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,193 times
And to be fair, even though Case is a superb university, Wash U is in a slightly higher tier. And not forgetting SLU is better than whatever Cleveland's second university is by quite a long shot

Old 06-09-2013, 01:49 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,101,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
I could not have stated it any better, what a great and informed posting on Cleveland!
Thanks JohnD!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
The lists of festivals and cultural amenities are meaningless, because either city can spew off a gazillion things. St. Louis is stronger in some, and Cleveland is stronger in others. Pound for pound, they are very comparable cities, although I think most would agree that St. Louis has a lot more charm and its city neighborhoods have more character and history.
Not true.

The evidence of strong cultural amenities is a sign of economic strength because the amenities are mainly subsidized by private individuals and foundations and, if they/the area are struggling, the culture wouldn't be so strong...

Also, in NO WAY am I putting down St. Louis' culture ... it is VERY STRONG. It's hard not to be, being an old-line major city with an amazing university (Wash U), home to the oldest and largest American botanical gardens (the Missouri BGs), home to Ragtime pioneer Scott Joplin, home of the 1st American steamship, etc... I'm just saying, it's hard for any city, even the largest in this nation, to top Cleveland's cultural strength and prominence.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
And to be fair, even though Case is a superb university, Wash U is in a slightly higher tier. And not forgetting SLU is better than whatever Cleveland's second university is by quite a long shot
True, ... but does St. Louis have an LAC with the historical/cultural prominence and importance of Oberlin? I think not. When it comes to comparing the overall higher educational institutions of the 2 cities, it's a push.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I really hate when people use the 2.1M population figure for Cleveland....it's very inaccurate. I live here and can tell you that Cleveland feels solidly like a 3M person metro, perhaps a shade or two below, at most. I'm not sure exactly why that is, as I know that Cleveland grew FAST in the late 1800's and early 1900's (contributing to its great urban bones) but Akron's presence must give Cleveland that 3M distinction. You'd know what I mean if you've been to Cleveland and other 2M cities.....Cleveland feels much larger. Columbus, for example, is almost exactly 2.1M and it does not feel or look as big as Cleveland. Weird how that works!
You are dead on Min-Chi-Cbus... Akron is a metro area of 700 or 800,000, and only 35 miles from Public Square, but for some reason, it has been historically cut out of Cleveland's metro area. Originally they said it had to do with the small percentage of Akronites who commute into greater Cleveland for employment. However, I think that has changed in the last several decades and, in fact, Akron METRO RTA has several bus routes that travel to Public Square, which is evidence of this fact....

Old 06-09-2013, 02:46 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,657,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Not true.

The evidence of strong cultural amenities is a sign of economic strength because the amenities are mainly subsidized by private individuals and foundations and, if they/the area are struggling, the culture wouldn't be so strong...

Also, in NO WAY am I putting down St. Louis' culture ... it is VERY STRONG. It's hard not to be, being an old-line major city with an amazing university (Wash U), home to the oldest and largest American botanical gardens (the Missouri BGs), home to Ragtime pioneer Scott Joplin, home of the 1st American steamship, etc... I'm just saying, it's hard for any city, even the largest in this nation, to top Cleveland's cultural strength and prominence.
In terms of cultural amenities, it's like splitting hairs. Cleveland is a heavy hitter and so is St. Louis. This thread is bringing out the homerism in all of us. Neither side is going to admit inferiority, especially when we're talking about two classic underdog cities like St Louis and Cleveland.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
You are dead on Min-Chi-Cbus... Akron is a metro area of 700 or 800,000, and only 35 miles from Public Square, but for some reason, it has been historically cut out of Cleveland's metro area. Originally they said it had to do with the small percentage of Akronites who commute into greater Cleveland for employment. However, I think that has changed in the last several decades and, in fact, Akron METRO RTA has several bus routes that travel to Public Square, which is evidence of this fact....
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
In terms of cultural amenities, it's like splitting hairs. Cleveland is a heavy hitter and so is St. Louis. This thread is bringing out the homerism in all of us. Neither side is going to admit inferiority, especially when we're talking about two classic underdog cities like St Louis and Cleveland.
See believe prof, think I made a mistake so my apologies.

Last edited by Caesarstl; 06-09-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 06-09-2013, 04:47 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
The US Census Bureau number, which I've already stated more than once, as of July 1, 2012, places the Cleveland MSA at 2,063,535. This number includes Akron, Canton, Elyria, etc.
False. The Cleveland MSA is defined as only five counties: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain and Medina.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:57 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,675,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
False. The Cleveland MSA is defined as only five counties: Cuyahoga, Geauga, Lake, Lorain and Medina.
29 Cleveland-Elyria, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area 2,063,535 2,077,240 −0.66% Encompassing: Cleveland-Akron-Canton, OH Combined Statistical Area

I think I'm misreading this then, Summit, Portage, and Ashtabula are not in Clevelands MSA, and the encompassing noted is for that Cleveland's MSA is in the same CSA, not that Cleveland's MSA encopasses the others, Is this correct?

Last edited by Caesarstl; 06-09-2013 at 05:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City