Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM

13 posts, read 24,266 times

Advertisements

Me, my wife and our 4-year old live in a DC suburb (Rockville) and we've been planning on moving to Seattle for years. I currently make $100k as a software developer. I've been looking at all the cost-of-living calculators trying to find a good comparable salary. From what I've been able to gather so far, Seattle requires about 85% the cost you would need to sustain the same quality of living you have in DC. That leads me to assume that $85k should suffice. For those of you who have lived in both cities, is that a reasonable expectation? Also, is $85k a good figure to take care of a family of 3 (wife is a stay-at-home)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,570 times
Live in Seattle suburb and you will live fine! You know Seattle's weather right?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,260 times
DC sucks. Definitely go with Seattle. I couldn't in good faith ever recommend DC to anyone. One of the worst cities on the planet.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quezocotl View Post
Me, my wife and our 4-year old live in a DC suburb (Rockville) and we've been planning on moving to Seattle for years. I currently make $100k as a software developer. I've been looking at all the cost-of-living calculators trying to find a good comparable salary. From what I've been able to gather so far, Seattle requires about 85% the cost you would need to sustain the same quality of living you have in DC. That leads me to assume that $85k should suffice. For those of you who have lived in both cities, is that a reasonable expectation? Also, is $85k a good figure to take care of a family of 3 (wife is a stay-at-home)?
Live in a outlying suburb and that should be fine. But as a software engineer I think you could easily make the same as if you were in DC. I think main questions you need to ask is Where do you want to live, How far do you want to commute, and where do you want to work longterm? (large corp. like Amazon or Microsoft, Small company, or start up)

Old 08-31-2013, 06:31 AM

367 posts, read 995,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
DC sucks. Definitely go with Seattle. I couldn't in good faith ever recommend DC to anyone. One of the worst cities on the planet.
Huh,...what's wrong with DC,..a little on the expensive side, but its amenities, job market ,transit, and vibrancy are well worth it

Old 08-31-2013, 09:25 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Huh,...what's wrong with DC,..a little on the expensive side, but its amenities, job market ,transit, and vibrancy are well worth it
Some people have irrational hatreds. Or he doesn't like our government. One of the two.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:46 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,406,517 times
Seattle has better weather (cooler summers and milder winters), it's in a much more beautiful setting, world class outdoors at your doorstep (Olympic Nat. Park, Cascades, Mt. Rainier, Puget Sound), Vancouver B.C.and Portland OR for road trips, etc. I would take Seattle in a heartbeat. DC has oppressively hot summers and it not nearly as pretty. I think Seattle has a cooler vibe too, more hipster/organic vs. government DC.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:22 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I felt like visiting Seattle and from reading posts from locals that people in Seattle aren't typical city people like you would find in DC or places like Chicago or NYC ...just too much interest in outdoor stuff as opposed to other interests.. Culture there seems to revolve around eating healthy, discussing the environment, outdoor pursuits, music scene, technology, etc. The type that would rather go hiking, or dress up for cosplay, or to a linux meetup instead of going to a museum. Not enough high level cultural amenities there for me... That coupled with the public transit and walkability of DC would easily put it over the top for me.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I felt like visiting Seattle and from reading posts from locals that people in Seattle aren't typical city people like you would find in DC or places like Chicago or NYC ...just too much interest in outdoor stuff as opposed to other interests.. Culture there seems to revolve around eating healthy, discussing the environment, outdoor pursuits, music scene, technology, etc. The type that would rather go hiking, or dress up for cosplay, or to a linux meetup instead of going to a museum. Not enough high level cultural amenities there for me... That coupled with the public transit and walkability of DC would easily put it over the top for me.
After living in both, I never found DC people to be anymore cultured or sophisticated than Seattleites. Seattle people do eat healthy, love the outdoors and talk about the environment, but they also go to the opera, the ballet, museums and plays. Some like the Folklife Festival, Hempfest and the Fremont Festival. Plus the population of Seattle is highly educated. What I really like about Seattle is the people are not pretentious and are genuinely nice and down to earth.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:32 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
I do like that most people are educated in Seattle. That might not be true about DC vs Seattle, I'm sure some of it is my own perception. DC does have the institutions though, but maybe the people aren't into it? In my experience they were, but might just be the people I know there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City