Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:13 PM

165 posts, read 205,978 times

Advertisements

Serious Question: When visiting Portland Oregon from Washington State, should I leave my legal MJ behind?
Are authorities waiting to pat me down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
Serious Question: When visiting Portland Oregon from Washington State, should I leave my legal MJ behind?
Are authorities waiting to pat me down?
No one is waiting to pat you down.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data Donut View Post
Yes, revived- is answering to a month-old thread unacceptable?
I just wanted to note the irony that seems to be lost to so many here.

Thanks for the travel wishes.
I am on sabbatical right now and found I have time for an extra 3-day trip to Portland...by train. (yay)
It was a thread that lasted 7 days and got 14 posts, hardly any irony in that with a thread that was nothing more than a link to an OPB segment, I don't think there is any irony that you are looking for in this thread.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 PM

136 posts, read 244,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
When I first moved here it seemed the opposite. People in Portland were always making comparisons between Portland and Seattle but people I knew in Seattle didn't have anything to say about Portland. I guess things have changed. I don't pay attention to those things. I think they are kind of silly. Each place has its own merits.
No, they haven't changed. Seattle and Vancouver B.C. get compared a lot but I rarely hear about Seattle and Portland. The only place to find Seattle vs. Portland posts are on Portland's city data threads.

I think most people in Seattle like Portland as a place to visit but we certainly don't obsess about it. Ironically, it seems the other way around.

I go to Portland frequently. I love every part about the city with the exception of the negative way they view Seattle. I don't understand it. They are 2 very different cities with their own unique charms about them.

Why all of the negativity?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,543,134 times
I'm from the East Coast - I haven't heard anyone from either town bash each other, personally...

Old 06-18-2013, 11:40 PM

136 posts, read 244,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
I'm from the East Coast - I haven't heard anyone from either town bash each other, personally...
It isn't really a bashing. it is more of a "don't you wish you lived here rather than there" attitude that Portland has. They believe their city is better. And for them, perhaps it is. Seattle is a bigger city and it feels like it. There is more traffic and a more urban feel. That may turn Portlanders away. As one post pointed out, Portland is a city where someone could sit in a pub, drink a beer (btw Portland has the best been in the world IMHO) and watch the world go by. Seattle is more of a hustle and bustle kind of city. Everyone is busy and has somewhere to go.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:48 PM

99 posts, read 155,261 times
To me, Portlandites are very insecure about themselves and the city. It seems many are self-proclaiming things to make PDX more relevant, but are doing so about things that no one else cares about. For example, go anywhere outside about a 50-mile radius of PDX, especially out of state and ask others about self-proclamations like "Soccer City USA" or "Keep Portland weird" or "The Silicon Forest" or "Naked Bikers" or "The Pearl" or "The Max" or "Condo Craze" or whatever ad see if anyone knows or cares about these self-serving proclamations - really? Who cares and why do we have to pat ourselves on the back and create terms about absolutely worthless things ?? Portlandites always have to make things seem bigger than they are because they have some sort of 'Short man's complex meets Napolean's envy." Portland is a mid-level city, on par with places like Salt Lake City, Louisville, Jacksonville, Sacramento, El Paso, Norfolk, Memphis, Wichita and Columbus, OH.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,627,663 times
Given that most people in Portland who you seem to be referring to are originally from areas outside of Portland, how are you able to lump everyone together and know exactly what they think? And why do you even care? If "Portlandites" are so awful why do you even bother? Again, your obsession goes back to your own complex.

I personally think both Seattle and Portland are small cities coming from SF where I used to live, but both are great places. I considered both before eventually choosing Portland, because Seattle was growing way too fast at the time and reminding me of what I wanted to get away from. Both are great cities. So is SF. Different people fit in different places. I drive up to Seattle every few months and spend the day because there are lots of things I like there. I chose Portland because I'm happier here, if I were to move though it would be to Seattle. Some people are happier in Seattle. Who really cares?

Old 06-19-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasR30 View Post
It isn't really a bashing. it is more of a "don't you wish you lived here rather than there" attitude that Portland has. They believe their city is better. And for them, perhaps it is. Seattle is a bigger city and it feels like it. There is more traffic and a more urban feel. That may turn Portlanders away. As one post pointed out, Portland is a city where someone could sit in a pub, drink a beer (btw Portland has the best been in the world IMHO) and watch the world go by. Seattle is more of a hustle and bustle kind of city. Everyone is busy and has somewhere to go.
In my opinion, being able to really enjoy your life is what makes Portland so great. That don't you wish you lived here attitude has nothing to do with Seattle, we Portlanders are like that about anywhere because Portland is just that amazing. Though all of the northwest is amazing, and that includes Seattle.

Living here in nyc, for big city feel I would almost pick Seattle over here. The only thing that really disappoints me with Seattle is they dropped the ball with subways, they could of and should of constructed most of their lines 100 years ago and built a true subway system rather than building a light rail system now that is far behind where they should be with rail.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyBilly View Post
To me, Portlandites are very insecure about themselves and the city. It seems many are self-proclaiming things to make PDX more relevant, but are doing so about things that no one else cares about. For example, go anywhere outside about a 50-mile radius of PDX, especially out of state and ask others about self-proclamations like "Soccer City USA" or "Keep Portland weird" or "The Silicon Forest" or "Naked Bikers" or "The Pearl" or "The Max" or "Condo Craze" or whatever ad see if anyone knows or cares about these self-serving proclamations - really? Who cares and why do we have to pat ourselves on the back and create terms about absolutely worthless things ?? Portlandites always have to make things seem bigger than they are because they have some sort of 'Short man's complex meets Napolean's envy." Portland is a mid-level city, on par with places like Salt Lake City, Louisville, Jacksonville, Sacramento, El Paso, Norfolk, Memphis, Wichita and Columbus, OH.
I have been to a number of those cities and Portland is still better....though I am still trying to figure out what a Portlandite is. It is as if you have never lived in Portland or ever been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City