Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boise vs Albuquerque
Boise 43 41.35%
Albuquerque 61 58.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 11:45 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,934,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Climate is the same thing. Some people hate the cold, others aren't happy if it doesn't snow. I gave the edge to Boise because it has 4 clear seasons and I *like* the fact that it gets colder in the winter. Climate is just like downtown, you have to define what is "best" before a judgement can be made.
Yeah, I like the fact that Boise (from the statistics I've seen anyway) doesn't got as hot as early in the spring as Albuquerque does, and doesn't stay as hot as long into the autumn. I'd probably be willing to put up with a colder winter for the sake of more comfortably cool weather in spring and autumn. That's just a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 AM

29 posts, read 60,969 times
They are comparable on some factors, however size is not one of them. Albuquerque's footprint is over twice the size of Boise's and overall has a larger city feel to it, so this comparison seems kind of odd. As for the hipster/artsy vibe Albuquerque has that just not downtown, more so in the nob hill area which has an eclectic feel to it. The thing with Albuquerque is different parts of the city have a different feel or vibe to it. Anywhere from the Uptown chic vibe, to the Valley rural vibe, to Old Town touristy vibe, to Nob Hill hip vibe and the Heights suburban vibe etc.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
I don't see what the big deal is comparing these cities size wise. It's really not as big of a gap as peole are suggesting. Albuquerque isn't ever 1 million people in population yet. I've been to Albuquerque before, and I don't see how it could feel that much larger. Both are in the same tier in my opinion, therefore they're comparable.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:48 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Yeah, I like the fact that Boise (from the statistics I've seen anyway) doesn't got as hot as early in the spring as Albuquerque does, and doesn't stay as hot as long into the autumn. I'd probably be willing to put up with a colder winter for the sake of more comfortably cool weather in spring and autumn. That's just a personal preference.
From what I've seen Alb runs about 7 degrees warmer in the spring and about 3 degrees warmer in the fall.

You are talking weather in the 60s and 70s so I really don't see that there is any real comfort issues between the two places in the fall and spring. A wash.

Summer is about the same. Winter. Boise is pretty cold and and Alb is on the low end of mild.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:42 AM

29 posts, read 60,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I don't see what the big deal is comparing these cities size wise. It's really not as big of a gap as peole are suggesting. Albuquerque isn't ever 1 million people in population yet. I've been to Albuquerque before, and I don't see how it could feel that much larger. Both are in the same tier in my opinion, therefore they're comparable.
Thats why i said they are comparable in some factors, however i have family in Boise and have been there several times. It is alot smaller size wise, thats NOT saying you can't compare the two.....obviously you can.
Albuquerque's metro population should reach the million mark within 5 years at the current growth rate. its population is estimated at 917,000 at this point in time.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 AM

60 posts, read 158,528 times
Here's my answer:
ALBUQUERQUE BOISE
Best Worst

Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
I haven't been to Boise but I must say that ABQ for the short time I was there was rather underwhelming. It wouldn't surprise me at all that Boise would have a more substantial DT core and just a more city like feel. ABQ felt like a suburb more than a city and the skyline was shockingly small for a city with a metro of almost 1 million.

Having said that what would make ABQ great is being a short drive to some absolutely beautiful really interesting places.. it has the old west, native history, stunning geography and some really interesting smaller cities/towns with so much character. Not to mention better located imo in that you are closer to Arizona, Colorado and Texas!

Old 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM

345 posts, read 455,455 times
I make a lot of trips to Boise and love the place. The downtown is really vibrant for a city of its size. Both cities have access to fantastic western scenery, but ABQ downtown seemed a lot grittier to me. Maybe it has changed since I was last there, but I'll take Boise as a place to visit and live.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I haven't been to Boise but I must say that ABQ for the short time I was there was rather underwhelming. It wouldn't surprise me at all that Boise would have a more substantial DT core and just a more city like feel. ABQ felt like a suburb more than a city and the skyline was shockingly small for a city with a metro of almost 1 million.

Having said that what would make ABQ great is being a short drive to some absolutely beautiful really interesting places.. it has the old west, native history, stunning geography and some really interesting smaller cities/towns with so much character. Not to mention better located imo in that you are closer to Arizona, Colorado and Texas!
That's what I like about it, ABQ makes an absolutely awesome base for some amazing roadtrips. I've spent weekends in Sedona, The Grand Canyon, Tucson, Denver, Telluride/Durango, CO, Taos, White Sands and I love it all! And for what downtown ABQ lacks, Santa Fe only an hour away more than makes up for. Somedays the city itself dissapoints and I certainly won't disagree that the downtown kinda sucks, but it's good enough to live and work, it's very affordable, and the recreational possibilities are endless. I like having access to mountain hiking trails only a mere 10 minute drive from my house and I do like the Old Town and Nob Hill neighborhoods in ABQ though, they got nice character.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:23 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Kind of surprised by the results of this one. I have not been to Boise but I have been to Albuquerque.

I have to say that Albuquerque did not impress. The Old Town area was kind of cool but is small. The downtown was not the greatest and the city was very suburban, with areas either looking kind of shabby or new and sterile.

My impression of Boise is that it has a pretty good downtown for a city its size, with some nice parks around the river that runs through the city. From google street view it also appears that Boise at least has some charming neighborhoods with a decent amount of greenery to the north of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City