Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boise vs Albuquerque
Boise 43 41.35%
Albuquerque 61 58.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I won't disagree. It's probably a lot cleaner.

It compares more to Albuquerque's Uptown, same amount of high rise buildings and cleaner in appearance. However you have to take into consideration that the pics of Boise's downtown were taken in what appears to be the summer, while the pics of Albuquerque's downtown were taken in the winter.....making it look drab, just an observation!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
It compares more to Albuquerque's Uptown, same amount of high rise buildings and cleaner in appearance. However you have to take into consideration that the pics of Boise's downtown were taken in what appears to be the summer, while the pics of Albuquerque's downtown were taken in the winter.....making it look drab, just an observation!!
Hmm, interesting comparison. I would have thought Boise's downtown would have at least a block or two of pioneer charm compared to the modern commercial elements of ABQ's uptown.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:26 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Hmm, interesting comparison. I would have thought Boise's downtown would have at least a block or two of pioneer charm compared to the modern commercial elements of ABQ's uptown.

That's exactly what Boise's downtown looks like. It is really small for a town the size of Boise. It reminds me of the downtown of a city of about 120K and not 500K plus. The difference is that the taller buildings in Boise are on the fringes of downtown and not in the heart of downtown like Alb. The are around the state capital in Boise is very quaint.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:03 AM

254 posts, read 513,213 times
According to the internet, crime rates are much higher in ABQ than in Boise, so that's a definite negative. The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime.

Violent Crime
8 Albuquerque
4 Boise
4 United States

Property Crime
7 Albuquerque
5 Boise
4 United States

Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainK View Post
According to the internet, crime rates are much higher in ABQ than in Boise, so that's a definite negative. The crime indices range 1-10. A higher number corresponds with more crime.

Violent Crime
8 Albuquerque
4 Boise
4 United States

Property Crime
7 Albuquerque
5 Boise
4 United States
Although I don't doubt this, usually when stats like this are presented a source is usually posted along with it as proof.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:09 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Quote:
Downtown Boise is full of old historic buildings and many blocks of "pioneer charm".
The historic architecture in downtown Boise is what people often say defines the city. The historic neighborhoods that surround downtown have grand and diverse architecture and have been ranked in the past as some of the finest historic residential areas in the west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That's exactly what Boise's downtown looks like. It is really small for a town the size of Boise. It reminds me of the downtown of a city of about 120K and not 500K plus. The difference is that the taller buildings in Boise are on the fringes of downtown and not in the heart of downtown like Alb. The are around the state capital in Boise is very quaint.
The tall buildings in Boise are clustered in the heart of downtown, not in the fringes. The cities new tallest skyscraper is under construction right in the center of it all. Have you ever been to Boise? Just wondering...

Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM

345 posts, read 455,455 times
Concur with Syringaloid - I am confused about the comment about the tall buildings being on the fringes of downtown - they are definitely at the center.

I am not from Boise, but most of my extended family lives there now. I have the great fortune of spending a week or a little more every year and envy all who live in that fine city. Although I have grown to have an affection for my long-time home of Houston, Boise is the place I would love to move to and retire. It has the vibrant downtown, the great four seasons climate with surprisingly mild winters (most of the time), and access to all of the beauty and outdoor recreation that a western state like Idaho (New Mexico included, of course) has to offer. Boise makes it to the "Best Places to Live" -type lists beyond frequently. Give me a craftsman's bungalow in the North End and I will be happy man forever.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:38 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,892 times
Here are a few photos I found online with the sources indicated below each one.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9192915.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...38698845_o.jpg

Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM

254 posts, read 513,213 times
Quote:
Although I don't doubt this, usually when stats like this are presented a source is usually posted along with it as proof.
Sorry, I thought that posting competitors' website addresses was against the posting rules for this forum.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:37 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Boise and Alb are pretty similar in many ways. Never thought about it before. I think Alb wins on climate for sure.

One thing Boise does have that Alb doesn't is water for water sports close by.
For Boise's advantage, I really dig the lakes in Idaho. Northern ID has the best lakes region in the entire Western US. Priest Lake is a clear, clean, scenic mountain lake that's perfect for swimming in the summer and some of the best paddling and laid back good times by I like I've found anywhere. There is a whole numerous collection of natural lakes up in that area, sort of a rare feature in the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City