Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state has the best mountains?
Colorado 132 30.28%
California 101 23.17%
Nevada 7 1.61%
West Virginia 20 4.59%
New York 11 2.52%
Other 165 37.84%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiandeath View Post
COLORADO ISNT WINNING OTHER IS WINNING AND THE OTHER IS WASHINGTON. WASHINGTON HAS MORE PEAKS THAN COLORADO AND MORE PROMINENCE , CHECK IT OUT!USA Lower 48 Top 100 Peaks by Prominence - Peakbagger.com
You're mentioning prominence too much, as I objected previously.

I don't think prominence is the best measure; I think spire measure is much better, as it accounts how much and how steeply a mountain rises above the surrounding terrain rather a distant col (and prominence ignores steepness). Spire measure isn't perfect, as it has a bias to steepness on all four sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
No, you don't.

Okay, fair enough. But in a thread about having the "best mountains", I'm not seeing why you and other dude are viewing accessibility as a negative, and I'm talking reasonable accessibility like a singletrack trail or a wash, which is what the large majority of tall peaks in CO are limited to. I don't see anything inherently "better" about mountains that are more remote or cannot be accessed.
I don't think that takes away from the mountains in CO, but it is a main difference between AK and CO. That's all. To me, in this thread I think inaccessibility gives a mountain more mystique...it kind of adds to the lure of the mountain when it is off the beaten path. For example: Mt Washington. You see photos of guys scaling the side of it with climbing gear, Ice axes and crampons only to notice that there is a parking lot at the top lol

Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Best Mountain States

1) Colorado
2) California
3) Hawaii
4) Alaska
5) Wyoming
6) Montana
7) New Hampshire
8) West Virginia
9) Utah
10) Oregon
11) Idaho/Washington (tie)

Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM

45 posts, read 62,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

I don't think prominence is the best measure; I think spire measure is much better, as it accounts how much and how steeply a mountain rises above the surrounding terrain rather a distant col (and prominence ignores steepness). Spire measure isn't perfect, as it has a bias to steepness on all four sides.
I feel like I have to keep mentioning it because most people think colorados got the american himalayas over there because of the all the 14ers. I took a looksy and appears washington blows colorado away in spire measure as well. thanks nei. lets face it people just dont get it they havent seen washingtons mountains, oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by utopiandeath; 05-27-2013 at 11:46 PM..

Old 05-27-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Best Mountain States

1) Colorado
2) California
3) Hawaii
4) Alaska
5) Wyoming
6) Montana
7) New Hampshire
8) West Virginia
9) Utah
10) Oregon
11) Idaho/Washington (tie)
You forgot texas.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,936,877 times
Quote:
I feel like I have to keep mentioning it because most people think colorados got the american himalayas over there because of the all the 14ers. I took a looksy and appears washington blows colorado away in spire measure as well. thanks nei. lets face it people just dont get it they havent seen washingtons mountains, oh well, whatever floats your boat.
I know that you're partial to WA's mountains, and that's great. I love them, too. But while you're telling others that they need to visit to experience your state's mountains (which I have, numerous times), you should really take that advice yourself. It's clear that you've never visited CO, or if you have, you've never personally ventured beyond the Front Range. Yes, spire measure is impressive, but as nei mentioned, it really applies to mountains with steepness on all four sides. Colorado has plenty of steep rock faces, but many of the mountains are part of large ranges. Again, you really should visit the state and explore.

Regarding accessibility, I think that people have the misconception that roads lead to the top of every mountain in the state. There are some commercially popular peaks in CO, but it's a pretty big state, and there are quite a few wilderness areas (and National Parks) in this state that are off the beaten path. 41 in total, and in many of them there's a good chance that you WON'T see another person for a while. Here's a link: Colorado Wilderness Areas | Colorado's Wild Areas Anyone that's ever visited the Flat Tops or Weminuche knows what I'm talking about. My mom and brother lived in Alaska for a number of years, and I've spent plenty of time exploring the Kenai, and checked out a good bit of the Chugach and Alaska Range. Great places, great scenery, but terrible weather, and you can't ever drive up to any high passes and hike from a trailhead. In fact, I've seen enough brown bears and dense brush that I wouldn't want to take a hike into the woods without a handgun, if at all. So everyone's entitled to their opinion about what they like, but for me having options is key. I'm well traveled, but for mountains, but I think CO has the best blend of easy access points for activities and wilderness areas if you want to get away from people. And great weather. I guess I must have scenery ADHD, because sometimes the mountains in a region are a little repetitive or one dimensional to me. If you like more than one type of predominant mountain or climate, this state rocks.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:56 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
A poll on states with the best mountains? No WA state or AK in the mix?

You can't be serious. NY? WV? NV?

Fail.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Quote:
You forgot texas.
Other than what's on the fringes of El Paso and Big Bend, Texas isn't that remarkable of a mountain state. New Mexico and Arizona have much more impressive mountain scenery.

Quote:
I give Washington the best in the contiguous 48 states. The volcanic peaks of the Cascades are a sight to behold (when those damn perpetual clouds clear). Mount Rainier is one of those peaks that I can't take my eyes off of, it blows all the other 14'ers away. And to look the other direction at the jagged peaks of the Olympics are quite impressive as well. Sunrises and sunsets around Puget Sound are glorious to look at.

That said Colorado gets a lot more sun and you can count on seeing the peaks of the Rockies more on a daily basis. One could spend a whole week in Seattle at certain times of year with a gamble that the mountain peaks won't reveal their magnificence as they might be shrouded in cloud cover. Also there isn't a single ski resort in WA that compares to the quality of the snow/ski conditions in Colorado. The San Juan range in Southwestern Colorado are where the most impressive spire peaks are. The scenery around Telluride and Silverton is pretty mind blowing.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-28-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I know that you're partial to WA's mountains, and that's great. I love them, too. But while you're telling others that they need to visit to experience your state's mountains (which I have, numerous times), you should really take that advice yourself. It's clear that you've never visited CO, or if you have, you've never personally ventured beyond the Front Range. Yes, spire measure is impressive, but as nei mentioned, it really applies to mountains with steepness on all four sides. Colorado has plenty of steep rock faces, but many of the mountains are part of large ranges. Again, you really should visit the state and explore.

Regarding accessibility, I think that people have the misconception that roads lead to the top of every mountain in the state. There are some commercially popular peaks in CO, but it's a pretty big state, and there are quite a few wilderness areas (and National Parks) in this state that are off the beaten path. 41 in total, and in many of them there's a good chance that you WON'T see another person for a while. Here's a link: Colorado Wilderness Areas | Colorado's Wild Areas Anyone that's ever visited the Flat Tops or Weminuche knows what I'm talking about. My mom and brother lived in Alaska for a number of years, and I've spent plenty of time exploring the Kenai, and checked out a good bit of the Chugach and Alaska Range. Great places, great scenery, but terrible weather, and you can't ever drive up to any high passes and hike from a trailhead. In fact, I've seen enough brown bears and dense brush that I wouldn't want to take a hike into the woods without a handgun, if at all. So everyone's entitled to their opinion about what they like, but for me having options is key. I'm well traveled, but for mountains, but I think CO has the best blend of easy access points for activities and wilderness areas if you want to get away from people. And great weather. I guess I must have scenery ADHD, because sometimes the mountains in a region are a little repetitive or one dimensional to me. If you like more than one type of predominant mountain or climate, this state rocks.
Ive been to colorado half a dozen times or so but I have not explored every region.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Other than what's on the fringes of El Paso and Big Bend, Texas isn't that remarkable of a mountain state. New Mexico and Arizona have much more impressive mountain scenery.

I give Washington the best in the contiguous 48 states. The volcanic peaks of the Cascades are a sight to behold (when those damn perpetual clouds clear). Mount Rainier is one of those peaks that I can't take my eyes off of, it blows all the other 14'ers away. And to look the other direction at the jagged peaks of the Olympics are quite impressive as well. Sunrises and sunsets around Puget Sound are glorious to look at.

That said Colorado gets a lot more sun and you can count on seeing the peaks of the Rockies more on a daily basis. One could spend a whole week in Seattle at certain times of year with a gamble that the mountain peaks won't reveal their magnificence as they might be shrouded in cloud cover. Also there isn't a single ski resort in WA that compares to the quality of the snow/ski conditions in Colorado. The San Juan range in Southwestern Colorado are where the most impressive spire peaks are. The scenery around Telluride and Silverton is pretty mind blowing.
I was being sarcastic about texas cause he tied washington with idaho for eleventh trying to start trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City