Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC or Chicago
NYC 11 9.17%
Chicago 109 90.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 03:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Enough about black population. The Central and southern parts of Illinois are very southern influenced and when Illinoisans (???) migrate for education and job opportunities to the largest city in the state, they bring that influence with them. New York state has no southern influenced part at all. Of course Chicago wins this contest hands down as New York is very, very northern; very, very Yankee.
Why in the hell do Black New Yorkers wear gold toofuses? Not just one in the front. A grill, as they call it. They may speak with a "yankee" accent. However, a gold toofus is country! Don't tell me that Chicagoans do it also. We've already established Chicago's Black southern connection. I know that you maryland farmers eat chitterlings and all that soul food BS for the major holidays.

You smug maryland farmers can GTFO here with that! Ah-Ight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Enough about black population. The Central and southern parts of Illinois are very southern influenced and when Illinoisans (???) migrate for education and job opportunities to the largest city in the state, they bring that influence with them. New York state has no southern influenced part at all. Of course Chicago wins this contest hands down as New York is very, very northern; very, very Yankee.
While it's true that Illinois is going to have more Southern influence than a state like New York, it's still inaccurate to say that people from southern and central Illinois are "very southern influenced." Maybe the ones down near the Kentucky border, but the majority of people in southern Illinois live in the Metro East, which are the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis. As someone who grew up in the area, I can assure you it's all very Midwestern.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:09 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
As someone else has already pointed out, there's no such neighborhood in Chicago as the South Side.
Um, I'm pretty sure Chicago has a South Side, and I'm pretty sure it's heavily African American...

Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,175 times
Neither.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,568,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
Um, I'm pretty sure Chicago has a South Side, and I'm pretty sure it's heavily African American...
I said that Chicago doesn't have a neighborhood called the South Side. Do you have trouble reading?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I said that Chicago doesn't have a neighborhood called the South Side. Do you have trouble reading?
I have no trouble reading, but you are 100% wrong. Chicago does have a neighborhood called the South Side.

And, no please don't say "No, it's not a neighborhood, it's a district or an area," or other such nonsense. You know exactly what people mean when they say South Side, North Side, and West Side, unless you are totally ignorant of Chicago. These are the three main sections of Chicago.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
I have no trouble reading, but you are 100% wrong. Chicago does have a neighborhood called the South Side.

And, no please don't say "No, it's not a neighborhood, it's a district or an area," or other such nonsense. You know exactly what people mean when they say South Side, North Side, and West Side, unless you are totally ignorant of Chicago. These are the three main sections of Chicago.
Chicago South Sider, please don't respond to this drivel. Let's allow her revel in her delusion.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:27 AM

320 posts, read 578,103 times
Only soul food. Nothing else in NYC or Chicago.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Chicago South Sider, please don't respond to this drivel. Let's allow her revel in her delusion.
So now there are really two folks claiming that the South Side of Chicago doesn't exist? LOL!

I know the frat boy country types from Indiana who move to Chicago's North Side are often ignorant, but this is the first time I have heard them try to erase Chicago's South Side off the map! Who knew?

Repeat after me- "There is no South Side. There is no West Side. There is only Lincoln Park. There are no blacks or Hispanics in Chicago. Only hicks from the sticks!"

Old 09-28-2013, 08:36 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
There is definitely a "south side" of Chicago. Why blame posters not from there on a technicality... You know what they are talking about. In terms of South Side neighborhoods, many are named just that... South Shore, South Chicago, South Loop, South Commons, etc. It's ironic that 90% of the Southern influence in Chicago is also on the South Side... However, there was a lot of southerners who settled in the uptown area, mostly from Appalachia.

Last edited by grapico; 09-28-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City