Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC or Chicago
NYC 11 9.17%
Chicago 109 90.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,870 times

Advertisements

Neither. One is up in Yankee land and the other is in the Midwest.

If you want Southern Culture you have to actually go to the south, below the Mason-Dixie line. Places like Virgina, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, North Florida, Alabama etc....You won't find it anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 03:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Puerto Rican have been leaving NYC for a while, they arrived mid-century, similar to most "native" blacks. And now leaving. Has been for several decades at this point:

According to the Planning Department's population division, Puerto Ricans and native-born black citizens -- who constituted the greatest wave of newcomers in the postwar decades -- are now leaving the city in proportionately larger numbers than whites. An especially extraordinary change is taking place in the city's black population, with native-born black residents leaving the city and being replaced by immigrants from the Caribbean and elsewhere. The Planning Department estimates that about 40 percent of the city's black residents are foreign-born or descended from a foreign-born parent.

New York City's Newest - NYTimes.com
One-third of New York City blacks are foreign born; immigrants and the second generation together must be around 50%. Thus perhaps 45% of black New Yorkers are of Caribbean origin.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:48 PM

320 posts, read 578,307 times
Quote:
I wonder if there were (or are) noticeable cultural differences between blacks from Virginia and the Carolinas compared to the Deep South.
South Carolina is in the Deep South.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
From what I see when I look at a lot of these blacks in Brooklyn I would have thought they were from down south they dress country as hell. One day Im just going to do a 30 minute video right over here by my place and then. Go down to Atlanta and a video and compare them and see if there's a difference. Which there really wont be one. But ill do it just to prove a point

Chicago blacks from westside and southside are very southern acting to me

Old 11-01-2013, 12:26 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
From what I see when I look at a lot of these blacks in Brooklyn I would have thought they were from down south they dress country as hell. One day Im just going to do a 30 minute video right over here by my place and then. Go down to Atlanta and a video and compare them and see if there's a difference. Which there really wont be one. But ill do it just to prove a point

Chicago blacks from westside and southside are very southern acting to me

You have a good point! NYC losing hip hop has watered down NYC and every east coast city for that matter. Basically, every one of these young kids dress the same. Back in the day, I could easily tell if you were from NYC/LA/Philly/DC/Chicago/Detroit based upon your gear. Now I can't do it because everyone looks like their favorite southern rapper. LOL

Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
I didn't know there was a style of dress for Southern Rappers, I thought they pretty much dressed in NY/LA brands, with the exceptions of the big white T's. Are there any major clothing companies HQ'd in the South?

Old 11-01-2013, 01:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
I wonder if there were (or are) noticeable cultural differences between blacks from Virginia and the Carolinas compared to the Deep South.
Honestly, I don't think there's much difference in the coastal plain Black population that stretches from MD's eastern shore all the way through to LA and parts of East Texas. While that entire region isn't considered to be the Deep South, the vast majority of it exhibits Deep South characteristics like a more agrarian and manufacturing-based economy and a lot of Blacks in rural areas. There are some differences of course, but on the whole, there's a whole lot that binds Black folk culturally throughout this region.

Things are a bit different in the "New South" urban areas like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, Orlando, etc. since those areas have tons of transplants and of course you have the cultural anomalies in LA and south Florida, but even then, it's not like there are significantly stark differences.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsta View Post
I didn't know there was a style of dress for Southern Rappers, I thought they pretty much dressed in NY/LA brands, with the exceptions of the big white T's. Are there any major clothing companies HQ'd in the South?

No one in Atlanta wears tall Ts anymore. Rappers like B.o.B T.I Childish Gambino have great style . Andre 3000 from Outkast has his own personal style so does 2 chains. Givenchy is what most of these rappers are wearing these days. T.I has his own clothing line which he wears a lot and soon he will be coming out with his line of suits. Andre 3000 also has his own line. The Atlanta rappers are probably the best dressed rappers in the south.

Fashion trends are global now and Almost Every city has access to stores that was once exclusive to NYC The internet is also a way to buy certain items too.

From what I see since Ive moved to NY is that everyone in NY wears All black. Leather is big in NYC right now especially those biker jackets.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:25 PM

[quote=goonsta;32050820]I didn't know there was a style of dress for Southern Rappers, I thought they pretty much dressed in NY/LA brands, with the exceptions of the big white T's. Are there any major clothing companies HQ'd in the South?[/quote

ooppps

Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 PM

109 posts, read 239,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtown_Miami 17 View Post
Chicago blacks sound more like us southern ones speech wise and even wear golds like us, not to the same extent, but more noticeable by them then by new yorkers.
Chief keef "i don't like" video pretty much proved how much southern influence has hit chicago, I've never seen a nyc video like that. The most southern they've got is asap rocky
Not all black people in Chicago have southern accents though. Chief Keef may sound a certain way, but Common and Lupe don't. Kanye don't sound like Keef. Black Chicagoans are a mix of accents, some have a southern twang, others sound extra "up north", and others are in the middle. Some do have the southern accent from their grandparents, but some of us also have zero southern accents. I'm straight from the hood, Southside born and raised, have roots in Alabama, and don't have that accent. My family lost our southern accent two generations ago. I have friends and associates also straight from the hood just like me who have super northern accents and are clearly "up north" cats who are northern than a motherfukcer. Everything in the CHI has a polar opposite.

The difference between blacks in Chicago with up north accents and blacks here with southern accents is that, the northern black Chicagoan accent sounds more boisterous, authoritative, or "arrogant" sounding for lack of better word to describe it. If you know someone here with that accent you know that he sounds like a boss giving out orders. Some dudes with the up north black Chicago accent also speak faster whereas the black Chicago southern accent sounds slower less "bossy". I have the up north accent and it seems like me and my friends lips who speak this way move faster compared to our friends with the southern twang. Not every family in Chicago kept their southern accent, but the rappers like Chief Keef make people think everybody has that southern drawl. When I go down South, people know I'm not from there and that's the case with a lot of black Chicagoans with the up north accent.

Last edited by SouthsideTillIDie; 12-12-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City