Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer to travel to?
Miami 35 50.72%
New Orleans 32 46.38%
I can't decide. 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Josef the Chewable View Post
They're very unique, interesting cities in that in both you really feel like you've stepped out of the US mainland into some more exotic American colony. Each also contains both wealthy, beautiful neighborhoods and dangerous ghettos. I think the edge goes to Miami if a person is simply into nightclubs and flashy scenes, and of course the beaches are great, but I prefer NOLA. The music, the food, and the people are something else.

To be honest, I also felt way too ugly for Miami, where everybody looks like a character from a Telemundo soap opera! In NOLA, I fit right in (sorry guys!)
I know that's right. But that's also true for many other tourist cities. LA, NYC, Chicago, SF, etc. But I guess you meant the disparity between the wealthy, and the poor and dangerous is more apparent in NO and Miami than other cities. Although, alot of high-crime areas of South Florida are more middle-class than straight-up section-8 projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM

382 posts, read 721,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I know that's right. But that's also true for many other tourist cities. LA, NYC, Chicago, SF, etc. But I guess you meant the disparity between the wealthy, and the poor and dangerous is more apparent in NO and Miami than other cities. Although, alot of high-crime areas of South Florida are more middle-class than straight-up section-8 projects.
Yeah, that was a silly generalization. What I meant is what you said: it's not that there aren't bad parts of any other major cities, it's just that, as I was planning trips to Miami and New Orleans, I noticed a lot of sources really stressing "don't get lost on the wrong side of town" advice; more so than in other cities, probably because the disparity, as you said, is more apparent.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Nightlife: I prefer bars and restaurants to clubs, so New Orleans
Culture: New Orleans
Music: New Orleans
Food: New Orleans
Amenities: Toss up. New Orleans has some great old hotels, but Miami also has very nice grand art deco hotels.

For me Miami gets points for the beach and warmer winter weather, but New Orleans wins pretty much everything else. Miami is a bit too glitzy for my taste and it isn't very walkable. New Orleans has beautiful architecture, lots of music, great food and a more down to earth culture.

I can certainly understand why many people would prefer Miami though. There is a reason these two cities are two of the most popular for Super Bowls (each having hosted ten Super Bowls), major college bowl games, and general tourism.
This pretty much sums it up for me also.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:18 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,947,993 times
New Orleans.

Far more exotic, unique and beautiful. Probably my favourite city in the US, despite its rather unpleasant climate.

If I want Miami I can easily go to the Gold Coast here in Australia.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:06 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
New Orleans.

Far more exotic, unique and beautiful. Probably my favourite city in the US, despite its rather unpleasant climate.

If I want Miami I can easily go to the Gold Coast here in Australia.
Lol, please.....

Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM

506 posts, read 326,595 times
Nightlife: Miami
Culture: New Orleans
Music: New Orleans
Food: New Orleans
Amendities: Miami

New Orleans for me.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:35 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Probably New Orleans.. From Miami so Im there all the time.

Culture. Miami I prefer My own Carribean heritage
Amenties. Miami
Food New Orleans
Music: Miami for me Love Soca Raggaeton and House music
Niaghtlife Miami Love stripclubs raggae clubs Dance clubs as well as Bars and Upscale.restuarants.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,426 times
Miami hands down! I honestly dont see how New Orleans would even be considered in the same league as Miami..

Old 08-09-2014, 09:06 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Miami hands down! I honestly dont see how New Orleans would even be considered in the same league as Miami..
It beats it in many categories. Subjectively.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:01 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
New Orleans is a better place to visit, in my opinion. It's distinct enough that your time there is pretty valuable but the region presents itself in a manner that would make me second guess any chance of living there as compared to especially Miami.

New Orleans is cool, it's a festive sort of town, lots of people throwing beads around (even when it's not Mardi Gras), outdoor liquor laws, claustrophobically narrow and almost assuredly packed all hours of the day. Very authentic, not a chain run town, lots and lots of original options for both shopping and eating. Hella lot of live music and outdoor shows, events, magic acts, and the like. The Creole inspired architecture has a beautiful semblance of the Napolean era French and Cabeza de Vaca era Spanish that colonized it prior to the Louisiana Purchase.

Things like red beans and red rice, jumbalaya, gumbo, crawfish, oysters, and the like are household names in New Orleans; things people should almost go out of their way to eat when there. The terrain is cool too, the Spanish Moss, especially at night where trees on opposite ends of the street make tunnel like designs where they touch, the white web like moss, and the darker green leaf coloring are distinct. Only Gulf Coast Houston has that from what I've seen. Really cool looking in historically beautiful neighborhoods (like around Layola and the Zoo). I love the pitch darkness feel in the woods near New Orleans (between it and Baton Rouge), as well as the wide open skies along the flatlands of the antebellum plantations too. Just stuff you don't see everywhere, or see everyday for that matter.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-11-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City