Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times

Advertisements

No one is being forced to post here. If you are tired then don't read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:14 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Charlotte- 8 (2.3M)

Seattle- 8 (3.5M)
Miami- 2 (5.7M)
Tampa- 3 (2.8M)
Phoenix- 6 (4.3M)

Charlotte is not average for it's size. Facts hurt. I'm done.

45,000 people.

Your Walmart reference is kind of funny considering the company employs 2.2 million people and is the largest retailer in the world.
You are listing places known For bad economies. If you want to play like that... How about Toledo and Omaha with 5. I think both are barely one million metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Just tired of it all. Please ban me....I'm tired of ALL the desperate boosterism. Just plain tired of it.
I'm sick of the boosterism too, but just try to ignore. Southerners from small towns always boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I guess you would get tired of it if you live in Wisconsin.
Why? Milwaukee has seven and Charlotte does too when dollar store place is gone. Everyone who works there looks miserable. And your Wal Mart reference is funny considering they only build in right to work states so they can treat their employees like crap. They are the #1 Fortune 500 company and do not even offer their employees eye care. What a great place to work - yeeeeee hawwwww y'all

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
I think too much can be made of having a certain number of fortune 500's in your MSA. I dont know if its more of a bragging point or what, but pointing to it as a ranking of importance is misleading. Some cities, like Minneapolis, hit well above their weight on this list but would struggle to crack the top 15 most important cities in the US. Some cities, like Miami, hit well under their weight on this list but are much more important than one would be led to believe.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think too much can be made of having a certain number of fortune 500's in your MSA. I dont know if its more of a bragging point or what, but pointing to it as a ranking of importance is misleading. Some cities, like Minneapolis, hit well above their weight on this list but would struggle to crack the top 15 most important cities in the US. Some cities, like Miami, hit well under their weight on this list but are much more important than one would be led to believe.
I think it is important for companies that have majority workers in that metro.
Perfect example is the number one company on the list.

Yes Walmart pays 2.2million workers ( barely) but how many of those live in Bentonville?

Companies like Enron however had almost all of their 20,000 workers living here and paying taxes here.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I disagree about Charlotte. They only have 8 Fortune 500 companies and one of Them is Some type of dollar store place. I doubt anyone with a college Degree would want to work There.

Others who jump out to me as poor performances are San Diego, Sacramento and Salt Lake City. These three Cities might have one, but did not get listed which means they do not have two
Now you know that Family Dollar is not all minimum-wage parttime employees...it has executives, upper management, IT and tech support, accounting, and all of the professional positions that any Fortune 500 company has. I don't know why I am even bothering to tell you - you obviously some problem with Charlotte to make such an inane comment. There was no need to try to start some back and forth argument over nothing.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Now you know that Family Dollar is not all minimum-wage parttime employees...it has executives, upper management, IT and tech support, accounting, and all of the professional positions that any Fortune 500 company has. I don't know why I am even bothering to tell you - you obviously some problem with Charlotte to make such an inane comment. There was no need to try to start some back and forth argument over nothing.
Yeah, I have a problem with Charlotte. Charlotte is small, southern, bland and their posters/natives are annoying with the boosting.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Some cities, like Minneapolis, hit well above their weight on this list but would struggle to crack the top 15 most important cities in the US. Some cities, like Miami, hit well under their weight on this list but are much more important than one would be led to believe.
Struggle to make the top 15 most important cities? In terms of what?

Last edited by YIMBY; 05-08-2013 at 11:49 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 05:06 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,800,357 times
Quote:
Just goes to show that Fortune 500 companies are not the only determining factor when assessing a city/metro area importance and clout. They're certainly nice to have, but other businesses and factors play a very important role too.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times
Columbus, GA is home to AFLAC, which is a Fortune 500 company. Home to TSYS and Synovus, which I believe are Fortune 1000 companies.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Quote:
That would have been the same had AirTran been HQ'ed in Atlanta.

Their HQ was in Orlando during the takeover.
I didn't say any thing about where AirTran is/was headquartered. It has most definitely been ruined, however, which is a major loss to Atlanta's business travelers. At least they have managed to integrate the websites in a semi-usable manner...only took them two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City