Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Carolinas vs. the Virginias
Carolinas 47 43.52%
Virginias 61 56.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times

Advertisements

Every time i see a poll with The Virginias and Carolinas, they are always neck and neck. They should all just be one big state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,528,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
I wasn't aware that Charlotte and DC's Virginia 'burbs where the only "assets" among the four states this thread is about. Interesting.
They're the most important economically. Charleston is cool and all but out of the Carolinas, Charlotte holds most of the weight, same with NoVa and VA/WVA.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Probably because it's 15 miles of land.

I don't need to travel the entire city of Charlotte for daily needs.

This highlights why this whole comparison is not possible. Alexandria is a suburb of Washington D.C. Charlotte is the city of its region. In North Carolina, that's all you’re going to get. This is why this comparison is impossible. Charlotte would be an exurb of Washington D.C. based on its built form. It's virtually impossible to compare anything in the D.C. area to Charlotte or the Carolina's. The mere fact that the state of Virginia and West Virginia have suburbs of Washington D.C. while having commuter rail into the city puts this out of reach for an accurate comparison.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Northern Virginia is not a metro area, it's a part of the Washington D.C. metro area. It only exists as it does because of the principal city of the region being Washington D.C. The same goes for Northern NJ existing because of NYC. For that reason alone, this comparison is not an apples to apples comparison because obviously the Carolina's can't compete with the Washington D.C. metro area. It's not really realistic. The D.C. metro area would win every category by a wide margin obviously so I don't really think it's a fair comparison to the Carolina's.
I definitely agree that NOVA wouldn't exist in the way it currently does without DC. I also agree that DC counts in this discussion.

I'm speculating, but I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be a moderate to large city in that area had DC not been founded. For starters, Alexandria was settled and founded long before Washington D.C. The Georgetown Section of D.C. was originally Georgetown, MD before DC was settled. Both were important as trading ports (especially fur trade). While I doubt the development would be at nearly the same level as it is now, it's hard to imagine that a relatively significant port wouldn't have ended up at that site if DC hadn't been planned and built there. It's not unrealistic to think that, at the very least, you'd have a port city in that area at LEAST on par with Charleston, SC.

Also, it could easily be said that DC's growth and prominence stunted nearby Richmond's growth. If DC hadn't been built, Richmond would have continued to grow as the major economic hub for the state of Virginia. Instead, you have a lot of the population and power split between NOVA in the North and Hampton Roads in the South. Richmond is sort of there. I don't doubt that without Washington D.C., Richmond would easily rival Charlotte in many ways. However, that's not the way it played out.

I can't exclude Washington D.C. from the "Virginias vs. Carolinas" discussion either. 2+ Million Virginians live within easy access of the Nation's Capital and all it has to offer. Many of those people live within close proximity of the metro. They work and play in D.C. That can't be ignored. The OP asks about "visiting" either place. I've stayed in Rosslyn, Crystal City and Old Town plenty of times. I've gone in and out of DC each time. DC is very much a part of a visit to NOVA. And there's no way to ignore it.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:33 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,460 times
In regards to Charlotte and its size/urbanity, it would make for a better comparison had North Carolina imposed an annexation moratorium on its cities the way Virginia did about thirty years ago. Charlotte and Mecklenburg County seem to be one entity, and many cities in NC have seen annexation as one of the ways they grow in population. When cities in Virginia see growth, it is only due to people moving into the boundaries as opposed to the city gobbling up land from the surrounding county. Nothing wrong with that, but Virginia's system creates real divisions between cities and counties, making some comparisons worthless.

Hate to do it, but I'd probably go with the Carolina's on this one. If it were VA versus NC, there would be some good topics to debate- both have strengths and weaknesses. I love the land in WV, but in this case SC easily trumps WV. SC and NC together have way too much going to give the vote to the Virginias, though I certainly wouldn't leave VA for either NC or SC.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:44 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times
Hell you could almost make the argument for combining NC/VA and SC/WV culturally. I think NC and VA are basically spitting images of one another. Appalachia in the West, Beaches on the coast, similar history, similar demographics, both have booming tech and financial sectors, and both are (sadly) becomming increasingly inundated with people that are watering down the culture.

SC and WV probably have more similarities in terms of their economies, slightly less transient population, and slower growth.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
SC and WV probably have more similarities in terms of their economies, slightly less transient population, and slower growth.
I somewhat see where you're going with this, but they probably have a few more differences than similarities. But hey, they both have a Charleston!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I somewhat see where you're going with this, but they probably have a few more differences than similarities. But hey, they both have a Charleston!

For me it isn't necessarily that WV and SC are exorbitantly similar...it's that NC and VA are.

But yeah....they're both rocking a Charleston. I like the SC one better though, lol

Old 05-10-2013, 04:23 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
For me it isn't necessarily that WV and SC are exorbitantly similar...it's that NC and VA are.
With this I agree. The Carolinas are more tied to each other with the largest metro between them straddling the state line, but NC and VA exhibit more characteristic similarities. It's interesting that historically that was more true of SC and VA with their colonial aristocracies and ports of entry for slaves. At that time, NC was referred to as a "valley of humility between two mountains of conceit."

Quote:
But yeah....they're both rocking a Charleston. I like the SC one better though, lol
As do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City