Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City do you prefer?
San Francisco 52 48.60%
Portland 7 6.54%
Seattle 28 26.17%
Vancouver, BC 20 18.69%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 08:57 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
It's a fact.

GDP
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA Metro Area $347.1B
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA MSA $239.7B
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA Metro Area $176.7B
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA $143.7B

Per capita income, GDP
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara $94,764
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont $79,049
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue $68,488
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro $63,536

http://bea.gov/newsreleases/regional..._metro0213.pdf

Job growth last 1 year
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont +59,400
Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue +46,400
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara +28,000
Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro +10,600

http://bls.gov/news.release/pdf/metro.pdf

Unemployment
Seattle- 6%
San Francisco- 6.9%
San Jose- 7.3%
Portland- 7.8%

Unemployment Rates for Large Metropolitan Areas

By F500's, even if you split the two bay area metros up it's still SF and SJ both ahead of either Seattle or Portland or Seattle + Portland.

FTR, every industry in Seattle or Portland, the bay area has it and chances are that its a larger industry in the bay area than it is in either of the northwest cities, sans aerospace.

Seattle has an edge on unemployment and that is it. That stats, even if you divide us, we conquer you.

OTOH, I love all 4 cities of San Francisco, Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland.

#westcoast
Yes, I love Seattle and Portland-they are among the very few places in the world that could pull me away from CA, Vancouver is a great city as well.

But this thread is about picking one and saying why you think it wins the criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, I love Seattle and Portland-they are among the very few places in the world that could pull me away from CA, Vancouver is a great city as well.

But this thread is about picking one and saying why you think it wins the criteria.
Now lets look at other categories now, urban growth? Natural Scenary? I would say the bay has the beat weather but seattle is a better natural location. Both are beautiful but on a sunny day in Seattle beats anyone!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:48 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
FTR, every industry in Seattle or Portland, the bay area has it and chances are that its a larger industry in the bay area than it is in either of the northwest cities, sans aerospace.

I'm just breaking up a couple of posts here with some bad info, so this is gonna look a little choppy. On your post here, you don't have a larger sector on retail (ex. Seattle has Amazon and Nordstrom's), aerospace (ex Boeing), gaming entertainment (ex Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve, et al), transport (ex. Paccar, Cummins, port, et al), travel (Expedia) etc. The San Francisco economy is not diverse. It lives and dies by one sector, with a couple other sectors (tourism, biotech, insurance) that could help mitigate damage. The issue with that, as it pertains to SF, is that that one sector...there's an awful lot of movement away from the area within that sector.

Quote:
This is the first world, all of our economies are 'stable'-yawns.

And as far as growth, the Bay Area's economy is growing faster than Seattle and Vancouver.
Actual growth percentage disagrees.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'm just breaking up a couple of posts here with some bad info, so this is gonna look a little choppy. On your post here, you don't have a larger sector on retail (ex. Seattle has Amazon and Nordstrom's), aerospace (ex Boeing), gaming entertainment (ex Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve, et al), transport (ex. Paccar, Cummins, port, et al), travel (Expedia) etc. The San Francisco economy is not diverse. It lives and dies by one sector, with a couple other sectors (tourism, biotech, insurance) that could help mitigate damage. The issue with that, as it pertains to SF, is that that one sector...there's an awful lot of movement away from the area within that sector.
Do you have statistics and actual facts that prove those sectors are bigger and stronger in Seattle? Or are you just assuming based on some big companies based there in those fields?

The Bay Area's economy is more diverse than you seem to give it credit for.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 AM

354 posts, read 681,619 times
I just did a road trip to these cities not long ago and the Pacific Northwest is really great! I would love to live a few years in Seattle, SF or Vancouver.

With that said, I think I'd pick Vancouver over the other three, only I can get a job there. From what I have heard the economy, or at least the job market, isn't the best there. I quite like Canada in general, and I do really enjoyed Vancouver's scale. San Francisco, or even Seattle in comparison seems more massive. And the urban develop in Vancouver is definitely, quite different than the other three cities. I have also seemed to enjoyed the seafood and Asian food in Vancouver the most, very tasty and fresh. Although they were really great in San Francisco as well. But perhaps it's just different colleagues bringing me to these different places lol

I know there's a lot of talk about transit, but I have to say the Vancouver bus system works really well in addition to Skytrain. I have to live out in the suburbs in many of my visits and the two cities that impresses me the most, at least outside of Europe is Toronto and Vancouver. I don't think people give enough credit for a well run, well thought out bus transit system.

But overall I find Vancouver one of the most fancisinating cities in the new world. Quite unique and the urban development is very interesting. Although it has it's own share of problems. But I would love to have the opportunity to do the Grouse grind and take weekend trips to Fernie or Whistler regularlly

Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
I'm just breaking up a couple of posts here with some bad info, so this is gonna look a little choppy.
Choppy, indeed.
Quote:
On your post here, you don't have a larger sector on retail (ex. Seattle has Amazon and Nordstrom's)
Bebe
The North Face
Mountain Hardwear
JanSport
Marmot
ModCloth
Clorox
Bianchi USA
Kleenspeed
Levis
Orchard Supply Hardware
Pottery Barn
Restoration Hardware
Ross Stores
Safeway
Shutterfly
Williams-Sonoma
Quote:
aerospace (ex Boeing)
I conceded aerospace to Seattle already, in case you didn't see. OTOH, the northwestern cities don't have an answer to energy or automative (Chevron and Tesla) like San Francisco.
Quote:
gaming entertainment (ex Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve, et al)
Nvidia ----> the gold standard for gaming graphics

Lets not forget both Google and Apple are also based in the SF Bay Area and they outsell competition on gaming, esp. apps.

There is also this

Video game companies in the US
1. SF Bay Area: 176
2. Los Angeles: 140
3. Seattle: 90
4. Austin: 80
5. New York: 71
6. Boston: 50
=7. Chicago: 31
=7. Dallas: 31
9. Washington DC: 19

gamedevmap
Quote:
transport (ex. Paccar, Cummins, port, et al)
Virgin America
Con-way
Gillig Corporation

Then there is also this

Total trade by customs district, 2012
San Francisco, CA 49,490 tons
Seattle, WA 47,686 tons

http://aapa.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/...13079657_4.pdf
Quote:
travel (Expedia) etc.
Sure, got me there.

So now show me the Seattle equal to entertainment, social media, automotive, energy, banking and finance, healthcare and biomedical, and VC?

Entertainment
Electronic Arts
Kerner Optical
Netflix
Pandora Radio
Pixar
Dreamworks Animation
Skywalker Sound
Lucasfilm Animation
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Social media and media
Ask.com
eBay
Google
Yahoo!
YouTube
Facebook
LinkedIn
Communication Arts
Future US
Daily Review
Chaosium
Oakland Tribune
MobiTV
CNET

Energy
Calpine Corporation (318) – San Jose, California/Houston, Texas
Chevron
Mosaic Inc.
SunEdison
SunPower
Energy Recovery Inc.

Automotive
Tesla Motors

Banking and finance
Fisher Investments
Franklin Templeton Investments
PayPal
Robert Half International
Fireman's Fund Insurance Company
VISA
Wells Fargo

Healthcare and biomedical
Anthera Pharmaceuticals
Bio-Rad Laboratories
Buck Institute for Age Research
Counsyl
Chiron
Genentech
Gilead Sciences
Kosan Biosciences
Mendel Biotechnology, Inc.
Kaiser Permanente

VC
http://i49.tinypic.com/wskaw3.jpg
Quote:
San Francisco, which includes Silicon Valley, remains the nation's leading high-tech venture capital center with 3,442 total start-ups and $11.8 billion in venture-capital investment going to 430 companies.
America's Leading High-Tech, Venture Capital Centers - Richard Florida - The Atlantic Cities

Since you wanted to list Starbucks, here's the food and drink corps based in the bay

Andersen Bakery
Annabelle Candy Company
Black Angus Steakhouse
C&H Pure Cane Sugar
Clif Bar
Columbus Salame
Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream
Ghirardelli Chocolate Company
Häagen-Dazs
Imagine Foods
Jamba Juice
Jelly Belly
Mountain Mike's Pizza
Odwalla
Otis Spunkmeyer
Peet's Coffee & Tea
PowerBar
The Republic of Tea
See's Candies
SIA Scotch Whisky
Shasta
Quote:
The San Francisco economy is not diverse.
I think at this point you would know that your statement is wrong.
Quote:
Actual growth percentage disagrees.
The only place that has an economy that's growing as swiftly and as robust as us is Houston. Unless your name is Houston, you're not in the mix IMO.

Listen, I love Seattle, it's one city that I like and could live in over so much else in the world and I also love Portland, I don't like to rip on cities that I really do think are great but do yourself a favor and know what youre saying about the SF Bay Area.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:55 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,448 times
Quote:
-
-Urban Development: Vancouver/SF/Seattle/PDX. Vancouver's urban planners knew what the hell they were doing. Period. SF's is pretty well thought-out and workable. Seattle is simply too provincial and the planning was done with an eye towards actively INHIBITING growth, which is ridiculous. PDX's just makes no real sense
Vancouver over SF for urban development? Sorry, but knowing both cities, this would be hard to justify. SF is urban throughout, with very few detached Single Family homes. Even the outer neighborhoods have rowhouses and corner stores, while Vancouver has many neighborhoods that almost feel suburban in nature. Also, SF's core is far denser and more bustling. SF wins urban development and it's not even close.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Now lets look at other categories now, urban growth? Natural Scenary? I would say the bay has the beat weather but seattle is a better natural location. Both are beautiful but on a sunny day in Seattle beats anyone!
Scenery is a tie and it can go either way. The Olympics and the Cascades are beautiful and the pudget sound is stunning too but so are the Pacific, San Francisco Bay, Sonoma, Marin, Napa, Monterey Bay, Point Reyes, Portola, etc.

There is nothing quite like Big Sur near Seattle. We have more geographical diversity and climatic diversity with our microclimates here. Its very possible to spend an afternoon in a bay area town that has 20 degrees difference in climate from where you live in another part of the bay area.

Seattle's scenery OTOH can match ours though IMO.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 PM

632 posts, read 932,305 times
I've never been to Vancouver, but Seattle and Portland seem way smaller than SF to me. SF is much more international too and I like that. So my vote is for SF.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Excellent post!
Quote:
Choppy, indeed.

Bebe
The North Face
Mountain Hardwear
JanSport
Marmot
ModCloth
Clorox
Bianchi USA
Kleenspeed
Levis
Orchard Supply Hardware
Pottery Barn
Restoration Hardware
Ross Stores
Safeway
Shutterfly
Williams-Sonoma
Also The Gap Inc., which is comprised of the Gap, Baby Gap, Gap Kids, Old Navy, Banana Republic and Athleta.

Quote:
I conceded aerospace to Seattle already, in case you didn't see.
Well, Boeing is no longer HQed in Seattle, but sure.

Quote:
OTOH, the northwestern cities don't have an answer to energy or automative (Chevron and Tesla) like San Francisco.
Yes, the Bay Area has become a major research and development center for the automotive industry:

BMW, Ford, GM, Mercedes Benz, Nissan, Toyota, Volkswagen etc all have major research facilities in the Bay Area.

Silicon Valley Is the New Detroit - Adam Clark Estes - The Atlantic Wire

Silicon Valley vs. Detroit: The Battle For The Car Of The Future - Forbes

And as you mentioned, Tesla is engineered and manufactured in the Bay Area. Their model S recently received the highest score in the history of Consumer Reports car ratings:

A pic from my flickr page, Tesla Model S

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8...bdfa08ed43.jpg

And these $90,000 cars are increasingly commonplace on local freeways, I see them everywhere in the bay now. Their sales are going through the roof across the country.

Apart from all of that, the Bay Area was the first major metro area in the US where a hybrid car became the best selling car(back in 2005 when the concept was still considered new by other areas) and still is today, the Toyota Prius.

Quote:
Nvidia ----> the gold standard for gaming graphics

Lets not forget both Google and Apple are also based in the SF Bay Area and they outsell competition on gaming, esp. apps.

There is also this

Video game companies in the US
1. SF Bay Area: 176
2. Los Angeles: 140
3. Seattle: 90
4. Austin: 80
5. New York: 71
6. Boston: 50
=7. Chicago: 31
=7. Dallas: 31
9. Washington DC: 19

gamedevmap
Zynga has tens of millions of users around the world a day who play via Facebook.

Quote:
Then there is also this

Total trade by customs district, 2012
San Francisco, CA 49,490 tons
Seattle, WA 47,686 tons
The Bay Area has a $100 Billion Manufacturing GDP vs $30 Billion for the Seattle Area.

http://aapa.files.cms-plus.com/PDFs/...13079657_4.pdf

Quote:
Sure, got me there.
Yahoo Travel is bigger than Expedia.

And hotwire.com is from SF.

Top 15 Most Popular Travel Websites

Quote:
So now show me the Seattle equal to entertainment, social media, automotive, energy, banking and finance, healthcare and biomedical, and VC?

Entertainment
Electronic Arts
Kerner Optical
Netflix
Pandora Radio
Pixar
Dreamworks Animation
Skywalker Sound
Lucasfilm Animation
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.
Dolby is from SF

Quote:
Social media and media
Ask.com
eBay
Google
Yahoo!
YouTube
Facebook
LinkedIn
Communication Arts
Future US
Daily Review
Chaosium
Oakland Tribune
MobiTV
CNET
Google, Facebook and Yahoo are the 3 biggest websites in the world.

Quote:
Energy
Calpine Corporation (318) – San Jose, California/Houston, Texas
Chevron
Mosaic Inc.
SunEdison
SunPower
Energy Recovery Inc.
PG&E is a fortune 500 company

Quote:
Automotive
Tesla Motors
We haven't even begun to flex our muscle as far as the automotive industry is concerned. The future here is going to be huge in this industry.

Quote:
Banking and finance
Fisher Investments
Franklin Templeton Investments
PayPal
Robert Half International
Fireman's Fund Insurance Company
VISA
Wells Fargo
Charles Schwab is Fortune 500 company

Quote:
Healthcare and biomedical
Anthera Pharmaceuticals
Bio-Rad Laboratories
Buck Institute for Age Research
Counsyl
Chiron
Genentech
Gilead Sciences
Kosan Biosciences
Mendel Biotechnology, Inc.
Kaiser Permanente
McKesson is a Fortune 20 company

Last edited by 18Montclair; 05-14-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City