Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It is. My dad and his whole side is from LA so I got the pleasure of visiting there every summer. A lot of people don't know that the freeways in Chicago can actually be very fast with people switching lanes all the time just like LA. The people in general though....I find their level of being about similar with laidbackness, although I think Chicagoans can be more up tight about things like sports. I find the CBD of Chicago faster paced than LA.
CBD for sure, but outside the core LA is much faster paced. The freeways are massive and packed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The buildings in San Fran are a little more compact if we're talking about the downtown area (and elsewhere the buildings can be closer together, but most tourists don't see some of the tighter Chicago streets either since they mainly stay downtown), but what most people do not realize that by sheer density, downtown chicago plus the northside and part of the westside is actually denser than San Francisco for the same physical land area as San Francisco...by about 100,000-150,000 people.
That's not a fair comparison to SF because Chicago is just a bigger city. The core of SF is roughly the northern half and it's much denser than Chicago. The southern half waters it down a bit. I've been all over Chicago and it would be much denser but just has lost so much population that the built environment is denser than the population. I do love how Chicago is always moving forward despite population loss. It's really a can do city with a stunning downtown

Old 05-11-2013, 12:09 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
In SF the pedestrian pace feels more fast-paced, but in Chicago the vehicular pace feels more fast-paced. It definitely feels like there are a lot of people moving around a lot and doing a lot of things in both places (if that makes sense) - but attitudes are definitely way more laid back in both compared to anywhere on the East Coast.
-
I actually agree that LA is more fast-paced than both as well.
I agree with this.

SF and the urban core of the bay is not slow, except for the horrendous traffic.

Chicago is larger of course and also fast paced.

Different but equal.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:30 PM

39 posts, read 58,535 times
Chicago is faster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City