Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Beachside Metro
Jacksonville, FL 31 58.49%
Hampton Roads VA 22 41.51%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 06:33 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
He was specifically referring to Jacksonville.
sorry I misunderstood the intention of the writer... I hope you were not too confused... please ignore my first sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Nailed it

I really don't have to add anything...but I will Just to point out that you are correct, downtown at one time was incredibly vibrant. Certain stretches felt like NYC (perhaps because so many New Yorkers wintered here). A couple random statistics that to me drive home the proper image of early 20th century Jacksonville: In 1912, 13 million passengers rode the private streetcar system. By 1930, the streetcar network stretched 59 miles. (Imagine if we had those numbers today) Of course, within a few years the entire system was bought out and shut down, roads began to dot the landscape, and the rest is history.
Jacksonville has been used as New York in a few movies. Downtown stood in for Manhattan in a movie with Keanu Reeves, can't remember the name but in it he is an attorney who made a deal with the devil... sorry i dont feel like looking it up now. "Lonely Hearts Club" with James Gandolfini was set in New York and Avondale stood in for suburban NYC, the architecture fit but they had to make sure to avoid palm trees in the background

Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Hampton Roads would use Washington/Baltimore or even Philadelphia or NYC before Atlanta.

Jacksonville would be more of a split with Miami and Atlanta

For their "big city"

Jacksonville has one city at the center. Hampton Roads seems decentralized, divided between Norfolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach etc
Our big city is DC.

Hampton Roads' decentralization is part of its charm, IMO. Each of the Seven Cities is unique and has its own flavor.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
I feel like if you're a beach lover, naturally one would gravitate toward an area where the beach can be utilized more...ie Jacksonville. It's warmer, therefore you'll be able to have more "beach days" by default, therefore enjoying more of a beach lifestyle. In Virginia, by mid-September, the beah season is done. In Jax it can be easily go into late October.....and starts back up sooner too...by Mid April beach days be BACK...VA beaches are still chilly til like mid-late may

Old 12-08-2015, 12:30 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
^people actually surf all year long in Jax. But I do not surf lol.

Old 12-08-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I feel like if you're a beach lover, naturally one would gravitate toward an area where the beach can be utilized more...ie Jacksonville. It's warmer, therefore you'll be able to have more "beach days" by default, therefore enjoying more of a beach lifestyle. In Virginia, by mid-September, the beah season is done. In Jax it can be easily go into late October.....and starts back up sooner too...by Mid April beach days be BACK...VA beaches are still chilly til like mid-late may
Yep Opening of the Beaches is in April, but people form Michigan will visit in January and swim LOL

Old 12-09-2015, 11:21 AM

593 posts, read 667,252 times
Jacksonville
+ warmer year round weather (more of a subtropical feel)
+ Florida vibe at the beaches
+ Bigger city
+ Prettier beaches IMO
+ last snowfall with accumulation was late 1980s (flurries happen every few years)
+ some reallyyyyy nice historical urban areas
+ extremely cheap COL in my opinion
- lots of crime in certain areas
- large population of just basic human trash (i moved here from buffalo and was amazed at the huge uneducated ghetto trash population both white and black)
- extremely hot and long summers

Virginia
+ much closer to the many large cities in the northeast
+ probably a more educated population as a whole
+ probably a better area to raise a family
- significantly cooler climate in the winter

I really dont know much abt Hampton Roads. I visited there recently for the first time and overall i was very impressed though, i just think its too cold. Personally i want to go more south (Tampa), but i would MUCH rather raise a family in VA then FL. Currently having no kids things like schools do not matter to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City