Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:32 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Boston's seems nicer, but Chicago's is just so.... Chicago... like it screams Chicago to me. Everything I love about it - the polished urban grit, the dark hues, the straight lines. It's so orderly and so elegant and there's just so much personality there. There's no other city that building could be in. Even more than the Sears Tower, the Hancock building is Chicago for me.
I agree with everything you said here. Both buildings fit the city's personality, but the Chicago Hancock building is iconic, and I can't imagine the city without it.
Great idea for a thread, btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 08:44 PM

233 posts, read 368,829 times
The JHT in Boston was built as the headquarters of the company with the same name. They are both iconic and among the better looking skyscrapers even many years after construction.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Chicago's definitely. An absolute beast.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
I used to work in the Hancock in Boston...it's a great building but I prefer the Chicago one. As someone mentioned before, it's quintessentially Chicago. Large, dark, overbearing yet beautiful. I remember going with my family to celebrate my 21st bday at the bar on the 95/96th floor. It was great.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
The southern view from the Chicago tower at the 96th floor lounge

Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
There's something about the John Hancock Tower in Chicago that just makes it so awesome. I don't know exactly what. Maybe it is just how it is so strikingly dark and it just rises out of that part of downtown with the two spires literally "scraping" the sky. I usually think of it as "empirical", like it gives you that feeling that you are at the center of an empire (called Chicago). It's a wierd way of looking at it, but I'm an architecture and civil engineering freak, so what can I say.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
There's something about the John Hancock Tower in Chicago that just makes it so awesome. I don't know exactly what. Maybe it is just how it is so strikingly dark and it just rises out of that part of downtown with the two spires literally "scraping" the sky. I usually think of it as "empirical", like it gives you that feeling that you are at the center of an empire (called Chicago). It's a wierd way of looking at it, but I'm an architecture and civil engineering freak, so what can I say.
Funny story of when I first came to Chicago for a couple of days. I kept thinking the Hancock building was Sears. I was staying at a hotel in Lincoln Park at the time and all I could see was Hancock from my vantage point there. As I got closer to it when I walked towards downtown, I was convinced it had to be Sears because of how massive it really looked (it was also night time). I still laugh about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
The Marina City towers are my favorite in Chicago. The John Hancock building is my 2nd favorite. I will echo what others have already said. It is "Chicago" and it does look "fierce". It is complimented well with the other big and dark building on South Wacker.

Without much thought, the only sleek, polished, edifice that I really like is the Gateway Arch.
Marina City eh. I reside there.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Chicago's...I always found the one in Boston a bit bland. Having lived in Boston for many years, I never thought the JHT fit in with the rest of the skyline. Give me the Custom House or 111 Huntington any day of the week over the Hancock tower in Boston.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:43 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Shot this from the roof. 100 stories of sheer dominance

JHC in the back drop

Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
The John Hancock Center (Chicago) is 100 stories of pure awesomeness, it is massive and screams Chicago. It is my favorite Skyscraper in the Country, the Hancock Building in Boston is nice but doesn't have the presence of JHC in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City