U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,046,634 times

Advertisements

Okay, I don't wear my pants hanging down my butt. I don't wear a "grill" in my mouth either. Not to say I'm a bag of cookies and those people are all bad or wrong. And I entered college late. Very late. But I entered nonetheless. And I'll state--admitted--partly what inspired me to go to college was reading that the former mafia boss of Milwaukee was college educated. His sons--believe to be made men too--were both lawyers and therefore had advanced degrees. Later, I discovered that a number of old school Sicilian mafiosi bosses both in Sicily and in the U.S. were even so highly educated that more than one were medical doctors. I read a few other things which led me to inductively (meaning a likelihood not certain fact) conclude that the small mafia family that used to exist in Milwaukee were quite "old school" Sicilian style, than I otherwise would have imagined. Not to mention in the book Donnie Brasco, "Lefty" claimed the Milwaukee boss was the most powerful in the Midwest (though I think he was exaggerating). He also admit fear of him and was impressed with his multi-state empire. Apparently, the NYC mob wanted to go through him to get a cut of Ft. Lauderdale which he apparently ran. But you heard of few snitches from the Milwaukee sector (Donnie Brasco would ultimately take the mob down in Milwaukee). This partly got me wondering some years ago, about appearances and notoriety vs reality that one might not see or be aware of.

I'm sure for most on here what I said is meaningless. That is fine. For me it is one additional lesson in life. Not necessarily about crime but about image and reality. What some in my generation might like to call "Keeping it 100" as opposed to selling swamp land or simply paying exorbitant money for a brand name of no better quality than a product that could cost you $100 less.

So, to be humble, let me say I might be wrong, but how is this club below less possible for one to enjoy, and "low class" than a "high class" or club possible to enjoy elsewhere in brand name cities like Houston or San Diego? Mind you, I like San Diego and if I had a lot of money I would probably rather live there than Milwaukee. I also get tired of hearing from people in Milwaukee all the time of what can't be done. Contra the attitude of China and Dubai (or even optimistic Minneapolis).

And having said that, maybe cities like Cleveland or just about every other city in the U.S. is better than Milwaukee (the small towns of Wisconsin do produce better human beings than Milwaukee... or any big city if you ask me, and that much I'm adamant about). Maybe it is. I suppose that is possible. It would be illogical for me to assume it's impossible.

So, club and bar critics, how is this low class or mediocre? I'll admit I'm not one to go out like that. So, enlighten me. I'll accept reasonable answers. Just don't give me any empty platitude like, "Just because everyone knows it is, and the best clubs are in Chicago and L.A."

Flux Design - the work

http://thinkflux.com/images/portfolio/eve5.jpg
http://thinkflux.com/images/portfolio/eve23.jpg

More images are inside. The guy that owns the company that designed this bar/nightclub has a TV show on DIY called: Made in Milwaukee. So, I guess someone in the TV biz thinks he's decent enough to put on TV.
So, if I were to go to a high end club in Houston or L.A. what would be so amazingly different that I'm clueless to understand? Will fire shoot out the walls or something? Are little magical dwarfs walking across the bar counters pouring liquid gold that is drinkable alcohol in patrons crystal glasses, hand carved by ancient Egyptians? What?

For reference as to what a platitude is: Platitude - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
A platitude is a trite, meaningless, biased, or prosaic statement, often presented as if it were significant and original. The word derives from plat, the French word for "flat." Whether any given statement is considered to have meaning is highly subjective, so platitude is often—but not always—used as a pejorative term to describe seemingly profound statements that a certain person views as unoriginal or shallow. Examples of statements which could be considered platitudes could be "The power of friendship", "Go with the flow", "Everything happens for a reason", "It is what it is!", "This too shall pass.", "We need to do what we can do.", and "I know! Right?."

Last edited by JMT; 05-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 11:56 PM

14,992 posts, read 19,601,186 times
The place above looks nice from an interior perspective and probably has a nice atmosphere if people are there. Obviously I can't speak for the service, quality of drinks, etc (not everywhere that looks nice, for example, has awesome food/drinks/service as we all should know). There are nice places in a lot of cities that people "don't expect" or are "under the radar."

From the looks of it, I wouldn't call the above place a club or anything, and I'm not sure if Houston is a "nightlife mecca." That is preserved for places like Miami, NYC, LA, Chicago, Vegas, etc. although the nightlife in Houston isn't bad or anything.

Now, from my perspective, as I said before there are nice places in a lot of cities all over the place. The deal with the "mecca" areas are things like the music playing, the quality of drinks/food, the people who go there, and also the ability to go somewhere else if it's full or just hop from one place to another. Also, the places in Miami, NYC, Chicago, LA, etc get very well known DJ/musical acts at the clubs. People who are actually on the radio and might be well known and real good, who demand a load of money to play a big venue but will play "smaller" clubs.

I have been to nice places in Des Moines for example, but there's not the great ability to say "Okay, I want something new almost every weekend and don't want to necessarily go to the same place only every weekend" and also saying "Okay, there are 20 clubs lining the street here and I can just go from one to another." You don't necessarily need to jump in a car to do it, and you can drink however much you want and enjoy the night if that's your thing. Also the closing times. With the exception of LA, places like Chicago and NYC have last call every day at 4am (5am on Saturdays in Chicago) and Vegas and Miami really don't have a last call.

Last edited by JMT; 05-28-2013 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Please watch your language.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,046,634 times
^Okay, that's good response. It provides more specific information and gets into more specific critiques. It doesn't just say, "It's big and fun."

And maybe you're right. Milwaukee certainly doesn't have the most vibrant downtown nightlife. It does have plenty of lounges and bars. I used to go to Marti's in the Sherman Park neighborhood before it changed it closed and changed its name. It was small but nice looking to me (a lot less nice looking last time I was in the reopened establishment under a new name). It was a small place where hookers, players, firemen, construction workers, and probably some white collar professionals would st at tables playing cards or bones over drinks. Other just drinking at the bar or at tables. It had jukebox but no dance floor. That's more my speed.

Though I did the night club thing with the dance floors and fake a___ people thing when I was in my 20s. I had a good time partying in one that was like a warehouse in NYC with 3 floors, a live act on the bottom floor, and the other 2 floors specializing in their separate music genre. I think one was dance hall or reggae if I recall correctly.

Quite is kept Virginia in that whole Norfolk, Hampton region, catering to Black-American universities and military people, had some outstanding nightclubs. I had some good times down there, especially with my partner from Detroit.

But I don't care for the nightclub thing anymore. And maybe I'm out of the loop.

However, this establishment above in the Flux Design link seems to me to qualify as a nightclub. It has DJ booths.

Here are the DJ booths:

http://thinkflux.com/images/portfolio/eve13.jpg

This is also the description on the place:

Quote:
Flux's first entire commercial interior overhall, completed in December of 2001. Nearly every interior feature of this upscale restaurant/nightclub was designed & hand crafted by Flux Design & took nearly one year to complete. Consisting of two levels, the venue is rich with organic form, all crafted in the cold-bend steel technique. Over 170 concrete forms, some weighing over 200 lbs, were poured & beautifully finished to create the bar tops, drink rails, dining tables & bathroom sinks. The downstairs restaurant features a backlit drink bar with a layered concrete & glass top, supported by over fifty miniature steel trees. The upstairs nightclub features a twisting steel sculpture which seems to snake from room to room & swallow aluminum orbs along its path.
Red highlight my emphasis.

Just for the record, my question pertains less to the number of these places in Milwaukee and more to do with this specific establishment. As to how it's a "low class" night club or a middle of the road night club as opposed to a "high class" night club?

Kind of like me having seen and met plenty of young, Black-American, single mothers that were impoverished, on welfare, yet buying their small child expensive Air Jordans. Mind you, I was raised in the Black-American middle-class and my parents never bought any of us expensive brand name shoes like that. Sometimes we got our shoes from Payless. But to be honest with you we still ran as fast as any other kid. So, I'm just curious as to what's being sold sense they say, "There's a sucker born every minute." And I've done my share of drinking and listen to loud music. Done my share of talking to fake a___ women acting like they crap gold too. Not that I'm against brand names or being a 50 year old version of a 16 year old when it comes to following along with "what's cool." Like those welfare women buying their kids Air Jordans I'd buy a drop top Bentley if for no other reason the rest of the adult world is no more than older versions of 16 year olds and they'd think I was "cool" because I was driving a "cool" car with the "coolest" brand. (But a Bentley is beautiful car of high quality anyways and I'd want one even if no one else did.)

Sorry Detroit.
http://www.autotribute.com/wp-conten...onvertible.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 05-28-2013 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or