Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,264,830 times

Advertisements

In re: New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston being the most well-liked...I'm not ready to buy that just yet. I think they are all recognized for their strong 'big city' characteristics, but C-D isn't entirely made up of urbanites. Those places are generally the most liberal cities in the country, and due to that alone, they rub some people the wrong way. I would say that those would be some of the most polarizing cities as far as love/hatred rather than just like/dislike.

You can't really do it in a single poll (without having a separate poll for each city), but I think it would be interesting to see how all of these cities would be rated in an anonymous poll of love/like/neutral/dislike/hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,897,917 times
This is a really nice way to introduce some more bragging/bashing posts. It's already started.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:47 PM

370 posts, read 859,749 times
You can be the most liked and most hated - they are not mutually exclusively. Places like NYC often come up on top of most liked and hated lists.

what the difference between

Hated on, but praised as well

and

Gets more hate than praise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
In re: New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston being the most well-liked...I'm not ready to buy that just yet. I think they are all recognized for their strong 'big city' characteristics, but C-D isn't entirely made up of urbanites. Those places are generally the most liberal cities in the country, and due to that alone, they rub some people the wrong way. I would say that those would be some of the most polarizing cities as far as love/hatred rather than just like/dislike.

You can't really do it in a single poll (without having a separate poll for each city), but I think it would be interesting to see how all of these cities would be rated in an anonymous poll of love/like/neutral/dislike/hate.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:50 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,186,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyao View Post
You can be the most liked and most hated - they are not mutually exclusively. Places like NYC often come up on top of most liked and hated lists.

what the difference between

Hated on, but praised as well

and

Hated on but praised as well likely means places that mostly get praise but do have haters. I would put Los Angeles in that category. Gets more hate than praise are places that are generally disliked but do have some posters that come to their defense. Charlotte and Indianapolis would fit that category.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,635,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
This is a really nice way to introduce some more bragging/bashing posts. It's already started.
Uh oh...didn't think of that. Hopefully people can contain their pride/hate for these cities.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,768,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Hated on but praised as well likely means places that mostly get praise but do have haters. I would put Los Angeles in that category. Gets more hate than praise are places that are generally disliked but do have some posters that come to their defense. Charlotte and Indianapolis would fit that category.
I think a way to tell is if posters from outside the city itself praise the city. Los Angeles gets more praise than hate, and quite a bit of the praise is from outsiders, so yeah I'd say you are right.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,264,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Uh oh...didn't think of that. Hopefully people can contain this pride/hate for these cities.
You have 2,300 posts. You should know better than this.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:16 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,635,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You have 2,300 posts. You should know better than this.
Yeah, that's a stretch...

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,843,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I think you nailed the most liked, so Ill keep them in my rankings:

Most Liked:
-New York City
-Chicago
-Seattle
-Boston
-San Francisco
-San Diego

Very Well Liked.
-Minneapolis/St. Paul
-Portland
-Devner
-Austin
-Washington DC

Hated on, but praised as well.
-Atlanta
-Houston
-Miami
-Philadelphia
-Los Angeles

-Dallas/Fort Worth
-San Jose
-Baltimore
-Charlotte
-Cleveland
-Las Vegas
-Tampa

Despised.
-Oklahoma City
-Jacksonville
-Phoenix
-Detroit
Nailed it.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,358,913 times
Detroit gets a lot of hate, but many posters root for it too, hoping it makes a comeback. It actually has the bones of a pretty good city proper, something that few see in cities like Jacksonville, Orlando, and Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City