Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Buffalo or Nashville?
Nashville 36 54.55%
Buffalo 30 45.45%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2016, 05:52 PM

538 posts, read 658,236 times

Advertisements

Each metro area has 2 professional sports team, (each has an NFL team and an NHL team), both also have an AAA baseball team. Each is known for something different (country music, wings). These metro areas are similar in population. Which has the better of these following?

Public Transit
Roads (freeways)
Airport
Sports Scene
Nightlife
Music Scene
Food
Scenery
Economy
Weather

Old 06-06-2016, 05:55 PM

538 posts, read 658,236 times
My take:

Public transit: within the city, Buffalo, suburbs- Nashville
Freeways: Buffalo. One of the least congested metro areas in the country
Airport: Nashville
Sports Scene: Buffalo
Nightlife: Slight edge to Buffalo
Music Scene: Nashville my a mile
Food: Tie
Scenery: Buffalo by a significant margin
Economy: Nashville by a significant margin
Weather: Nashville

Overall, Nashville

Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'll say:

Buffalo, has decent coverage in the suburbs and has rail and bus within the city.

Buffalo due to having infrastructure of a bigger metro in that regard.

Buffalo in terms of fans/loyalty, but Nashville also offers SEC Sports as well via Vanderbilt and gets the edge in terms of options.

Tie, as it depends on what you want.

Nashville due to doing a genre well, but has diversity within its scene.

Tie, as it will again depend on what you want.

Nashville due to growth and diversity in this regard.

Subjective, but will say Nashville due to being relatively moderate.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:02 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
My take:

Public transit: within the city, Buffalo, suburbs- Nashville
Freeways: Buffalo. One of the least congested metro areas in the country
Sports Scene: Buffalo
Nightlife: Slight edge to Buffalo
Music Scene: Nashville my a mile
Food: Tie
Scenery: Buffalo by a significant margin
Economy: Nashville by a significant margin

Overall, Nashville
Does Buffalo really have a better night life? I've never been there so that could absolutely be the case but I was really impressed with Nashville's live music and bar scene.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:22 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Public Transit: Buffalo, Nashville's transit is outdated.
Roads (freeways): Buffalo, Nashville has a lot of traffic congestion.
Sports Scene: Nashville
Nightlife: Nashville
Music Scene: Nashville
Food: Nashville
Scenery: Buffalo is absolutely stunning.
Economy: Nashville

This is not a fair comparison given the size difference between the cities. I like Buffalo, but Nashville is better.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Very, very close, with each sort of offering different advantages. If I had to say though, I'd go with Buffalo due to what in my opinion would be superior sense of identity, COL, location and weather (again, I'm just saying IMO, I can't speak for everyone).

I would give Buffalo scenery and roads, I feel like you can find at least one GOOD food option from like what I would call the 25-30 main ethnic/regional tastes in any city with a population over 500K, so that doesn't matter. Nashville likely wins your other criteria for most, although, Buffalo has a 4 am late call I'm not sure if Nashville does. I also like that Buffalo doesn't receive as much hype.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:39 AM

47 posts, read 53,489 times
From Buffalo. Only been to Nashville a couple of times.

Public Transit: Don't know enough about Nashville's system. The NFTA in Buffalo is okay for a city its size, but could be better.

Roads (freeways): Toss-up. Traffic in Nashville wasn't as bad as I expected. Then again I had just come from Atlanta where the traffic was an absolute nightmare. Traffic in Buffalo is mostly tolerable, but can be as bad as larger cities around the Big Blue Water Tower. And not just at rush-hour. Drivers are more aggressive in Buffalo.

Airport: Have never flown in or out of Nashville's airport so I can't comment. The Buffalo and Niagara Falls airports have added a lot of carriers the past few decades. A lot of Canadians choose to fly out of these airports when they travel to U.S. and Caribbean destinations. Buffalo is also fairly close to Toronto Pearson which has a lot of ridiculously cheap flights to Europe and Asia. Examples on Skyscanner include $274 R/T to Iceland, $359 R/T to France, $369 to Denmark, $473 to Japan, and $476 to HK.

Sports Scene: Buffalo wins in this category. Not really a fair comparison because the Bills and Sabres have been around for generations whereas Nashville has only had teams for 20 years. I will say that Nashville's hockey fans were more supportive and knowledgeable than I expected. A lot better than Florida Panthers fans in my experience. Buffalo and Nashville also have growing soccer scenes. Buffalo has multiple soccer pubs in different parts of town, an NPSL side that has seen attendance increases in recent years, and a USASA Elite amateur league that features a promotion/relegation system between its FIVE divisions. Meanwhile, Nashville's supporter-owned club has been a smashing success at the semipro level. So much that the city was recently awarded a professional USL franchise (note the distinction between "franchise" and "club").

Nightlife: Nashville wins, but Buffalo's scene is not as bad as people expect. The 4 a.m. closing time and proximity to Canada helps.

Music Scene: Another vote for Nashville in this category. I expect this one to be unanimous in Nashville's favor, and rightfully so.

Food: Tough choice. Wings, beef-on-weck and other Buffalo specialties vs. quality Southern food. I could go for either.

Scenery: Buffalo has the upper-hand with Niagara Falls, two Great Lakes, the Finger Lakes, Letchworth State Park and other scenic locations as possible daytrip options.

Economy: Nashville by a landslide. Let's just say that people don't relocate from Nashville to Buffalo for better employment opportunities, lol.

Weather: Buffalo in the summer and early fall. Nashville during the cold season which typically lasts from late-October to early-May in Western NY.

Overall I would say Nashville. Now what about Memphis/Nashville/Knoxville as a region vs. Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse?

Last edited by urbex15; 06-07-2016 at 08:03 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I'd largely say Nashville due to the much, much better winter weather and the fact that it's growing much faster.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll say:

Buffalo, has decent coverage in the suburbs and has rail and bus within the city.

Buffalo due to having infrastructure of a bigger metro in that regard.

Buffalo in terms of fans/loyalty, but Nashville also offers SEC Sports as well via Vanderbilt and gets the edge in terms of options.

Tie, as it depends on what you want.

Nashville due to doing a genre well, but has diversity within its scene.

Tie, as it will again depend on what you want.

Nashville due to growth and diversity in this regard.

Subjective, but will say Nashville due to being relatively moderate.
Missed airport, but will say Nashville but it is close. I'll give Buffalo scenery, which I also missed.

Also, I don't know if a Memphis/Nashville/Knoxville versus Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse comparison would make sense due to the wider distance between the TN areas, while the 3 Upstate NY areas are all within 2 hours or so of each other.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2016 at 08:45 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Public Transit: Buffalo, Nashville's transit is outdated.
Roads (freeways): Buffalo, Nashville has a lot of traffic congestion.
Sports Scene: Nashville
Nightlife: Nashville
Music Scene: Nashville
Food: Nashville
Scenery: Buffalo is absolutely stunning.
Economy: Nashville

This is not a fair comparison given the size difference between the cities. I like Buffalo, but Nashville is better.
A lot of this has to do with Nashville's metro being essentially Middle Tennessee minus the Clarksville metro and some counties in the southern portion of the region versus Buffalo's metro only consisting of 2 counties. If it was say Nashville versus WNY, then that would include the Rochester metro as well. This is the region, give or take a county: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffal...ropolitan_area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashvi...ropolitan_area
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.