Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM

517 posts, read 677,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Name one? There's plenty: St. Lawrence Market, Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), CN Tower, Canadian National Exhibition, Hockey Hall of Fame, Kensington Market, Casa Loma, Are they on the same level as the Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower? Probably not, but they are still known attractions that people come to the city and see. And then you have world events that are also attractions like Caribana, Pride, TIFF, World MasterCard Fashion Week, etc,
I don't think these are world-class attractions. They are attractions common to any big city in the developed world.

CN Tower is not globally known or unique, CNE is pretty much nothing, Hockey Hall of Fame is cool but very niche, Kensington Market is cool but not uncommon, Casa Loma is nowhere close to world-class.
Quote:
I Toronto is not a tourist city like Rome, but there are plenty of things and events that people from all over travel to the city to see and experience. That's like me saying Boston has no attractions which is not true at all.
There are degrees of tourist cities. When talking Rome, I can think of maybe three cities that can realistically compete (NYC, London, Paris). Boston is obviously nowhere near that level (and not even on the level of LA, SF, Berlin, Amsterdam, etc.), but can be compared to Philly, Chicago, DC, Montreal, etc. IMO, Toronto is on a level below that, in terms of tourist attractions.

With Boston, Harvard is immediately recognizable in every corner of the world. You will find folks that recongize it in the African Bush. Then you have lesser attractions like MFA and Freedom Trail that, while not super iconic like top global attractions, outrank anything in Toronto in terms of tourist appeal.

Keep in mind, I am only talking tourist appeal. In many ways Toronto is a better city than Boston. But I don't think it's a more appealing leisure destination.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnm_to View Post
Nah I do work in Hospitality Industry and I can tell you, we have seen quite a lot of tourists from all over the world. If you think CN tower is not famous then I won't say anything else.

I never said CN tower is unique, I said it's famous.

I live in Toronto and I have been to Europe, Asia, Central America, Pacific and Australia and of course all over North America, more than 100 cities around the world and I am proud to tell you that I live in one of the best cities in the world that a lot to offer for the residents and tourists, it is not less or more than every other great cities out there. If you don't find anything good in Toronto, I will suggest you to come and visit again
Yea, but anywhere in the same ballpark as the Eiffel Tower or Sydney Opera House? That's just silly.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:33 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Name one? There's plenty: St. Lawrence Market, Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), CN Tower, Canadian National Exhibition, Hockey Hall of Fame, Kensington Market, Casa Loma, Are they on the same level as the Statue of Liberty or Eiffel Tower? Probably not, but they are still known attractions that people come to the city and see. And then you have world events that are also attractions like Caribana, Pride, TIFF, World MasterCard Fashion Week, etc,

I like Boston too, along with Chicago, NYC, Toronto, Montreal and SF and a few others. But to say Toronto has no attractions is ludicrous makes one look questionable. Toronto is not a tourist city like Rome, but there are plenty of things and events that people from all over travel to the city to see and experience. That's like me saying Boston has no attractions which is not true at all.
Why probably? I think it's odd that there would be any doubt on this at all.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Why probably? I think it's odd that there would be any doubt on this at all.

would agree my gut would tell me something like the CN Tower would be more similar in stature to say the Space needle in Seattle as opposed to a more iconic Paris Tower not needing to be named

Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Anyone who thinks Toronto is bland must walk around around the city looking directly down at the sidewalk the whole time. Toronto is one of the edgiest big cities on the continent, and it's constantly changing and evolving. You never know what strange, bizarre sights or interesting characters you might see every time you turn the corner. The city is humming with activity of every sort day and night. All but a few of the biggest cities in North America would seem bland compared to Toronto.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Anyone who thinks Toronto is bland must walk around around the city looking directly down at the sidewalk the whole time. Toronto is one of the edgiest big cities on the continent, and it's constantly changing and evolving. You never know what strange, bizarre sights or interesting characters you might see every time you turn the corner. The city is humming with activity of every sort day and night. All but a few of the biggest cities in North America would seem bland compared to Toronto.

I actually would agree with this, though personally still prefer Montreal and Quebec for the distinct differences to most US/Canadian cities, Toronto to me would most easily fit as an American city if that makes sense

Old 08-21-2013, 12:43 PM

517 posts, read 677,867 times
Quote:
Anyone who thinks Toronto is bland must walk around around the city looking directly down at the sidewalk the whole time.
You don't think the architecture is kind of bland relative to most major world cities? Toronto is dominated by 70's-era concrete commieblock-type housing.

Toronto is a great city, but has something of a generic feel. It's great as a movie location, because it has a good "random North American city" feel. It can be NYC, it can be Houston, it can be Detroit. It isn't super distinctive.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
All but a few of the biggest cities in North America would seem bland compared to Toronto.
Really? There are tons of mid sized and smaller cities throughout Central America and the Caribbean that are alot more in your face edgy than Toronto. These are places where you can truly let loose, without the ridiculous regulation and big brother attitude Toronto City Council subjects their residents to.

I think of where I am from originally which is Kingston, JA. You can basically freely do whatever the heck you want on a daily basis and it makes Toronto look like a square, organized, uptight city by comparison. Now this comes with its drawbacks as Toronto exceeds it in Quality of Life and order, but painting the entire continent as bland outside of a couple "big cities" is ridiculously ignorant and shows a painful lack of perspective and education on what alot of North America has to offer.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
Kensington Market is cool but not uncommon
No city in the U.S. or Canada has something equivalent in size, vibrancy and eclecticism to Kensington Market. It absolutely is unique.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:04 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH_CDM View Post
I don't think these are world-class attractions. They are attractions common to any big city in the developed world.

CN Tower is not globally known or unique, CNE is pretty much nothing, Hockey Hall of Fame is cool but very niche, Kensington Market is cool but not uncommon, Casa Loma is nowhere close to world-class.

There are degrees of tourist cities. When talking Rome, I can think of maybe three cities that can realistically compete (NYC, London, Paris). Boston is obviously nowhere near that level (and not even on the level of LA, SF, Berlin, Amsterdam, etc.), but can be compared to Philly, Chicago, DC, Montreal, etc. IMO, Toronto is on a level below that, in terms of tourist attractions.

With Boston, Harvard is immediately recognizable in every corner of the world. You will find folks that recongize it in the African Bush. Then you have lesser attractions like MFA and Freedom Trail that, while not super iconic like top global attractions, outrank anything in Toronto in terms of tourist appeal.

Keep in mind, I am only talking tourist appeal. In many ways Toronto is a better city than Boston. But I don't think it's a more appealing leisure destination.

Harvard's name is for sure recognizable, but the actual school itself? Not everyone will recognize a picture of it.

Just because something isn't on the level of Big Ben or Eiffel Tower, doesn't mean they don't have at least have some type of "world class-ness" to it. It's just like a global city discussions. There are different types and levels.

As for the bold, and the rest LOL. I don't know what else to tell you man. I'm now just sounding like a broken record here.

People have different opinions of different places. Just because you say Toronto is not a tourist appeal and Boston's attractions appeal to you more, doesn't mean everyone else has a similar opinion. The numbers of this MasterCard study alone say this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City