Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Interesting link but I don't see how it makes Rogers Centre more iconic than Fenway. More people check into Facebook from Rogers because it is a major multi-functional facility: baseball, football, concerts, wrestling, monster trucks, etc. Most of its patrons are from the GTA or southern Ontario. Fenway is only used for baseball.

Has nothing to do with the iconic nature or global renown of either place.
In terms of being more globally recognized (forget baseball) my money is still on Rogers... Let me flip this- What would make you choose Fenway other than it being more recognized/iconic in the United States? Take into account Toronto has more International tourists than Boston... think carefully about it - we are not talking about the U.S we are talking about the world.. There's also an engineering aspect to Rogers that may speak a bit to this in addition to a prominent location at the base of another iconic structure that is in one of the most recognized skylines in the world..

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 08:39 PM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
He went from Dallas to the L.A. area now lol.

Trying to change the subject? Why are you ashamed of being from L.A.?
Im not from LA either, though I did spend some years there, let's just put it like this, I grew up all over the U.S., never been in one spot too long

Old 08-21-2013, 09:21 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In terms of being more globally recognized (forget baseball) my money is still on Rogers... Let me flip this- What would make you choose Fenway other than it being more recognized/iconic in the United States? Take into account Toronto has more International tourists than Boston... think carefully about it - we are not talking about the U.S we are talking about the world.. There's also an engineering aspect to Rogers that may speak a bit to this in addition to a prominent location at the base of another iconic structure that is in one of the most recognized skylines in the world..
I think that, baseball fans or not, attending a baseball game at a historic ballpark like Fenway (or Wrigley or Yankee Stadium) is something ''typical'' that a lot of visitors to the United States would be interested in doing. Like going to a bullfight in Spain, for example. Justin Bieber or Wrestlemania at Rogers Centre... not so much.

If I am a foreigner and going to attend something ''sporty'' in Toronto, the first thing I will probably think of is a Leafs game at the ACC. Not so much a Jays game at Rogers Centre - although it may be something people who are visiting will do. But it's not a Toronto highlight or even a semi-must.

Rogers Centre is a good facility but it's basically one of many many such stadiums in the world and doesn't really stand out that much for its architecture (in spite of its exploit of having the first functional retractable roof I think).

Hey... it's probably not even the most iconic stadium IN CANADA.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think that, baseball fans or not, attending a baseball game at a historic ballpark like Fenway (or Wrigley or Yankee Stadium) is something ''typical'' that a lot of visitors to the United States would be interested in doing. Like going to a bullfight in Spain, for example. Justin Bieber or Wrestlemania at Rogers Centre... not so much.

If I am a foreigner and going to attend something ''sporty'' in Toronto, the first thing I will probably think of is a Leafs game at the ACC. Not so much a Jays game at Rogers Centre - although it may be something people who are visiting will do. But it's not a Toronto highlight or even a semi-must.

Rogers Centre is a good facility but it's basically one of many many such stadiums in the world and doesn't really stand out that much for its architecture (in spite of its exploit of having the first functional retractable roof I think).

Hey... it's probably not even the most iconic stadium IN CANADA.
You really think a lot of International visitors to Boston would take in a Baseball game at Fenway over checking out one of the many entertainment options at Rogers - hey if you feel that way than we are both speculating here but - heck sensation white has probably done more for Rogers on a global scale than a Boston Red Sox game has done for Fenway lol...

I would agree that Roger's may take a backseat to Olympic Stadium in the here and now - I think 2015 will change that due to the recent memory of the event.

I also think people will be a bit curious about that big white blob at the base of the CN Tower when checking out the skyline and more so to anything resembling something iconic in the Boston skyline

Last edited by fusion2; 08-21-2013 at 09:48 PM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You really think a lot of International visitors to Boston would take in a Baseball game at Fenway over checking out one of the many entertainment options at Rogers - hey if you feel that way than we are both speculating here but - heck sensation white has probably done more for Rogers on a global scale than a Boston Red Sox game has done for Fenway lol...

I would agree that Roger's may take a backseat to Olympic Stadium in the here and now - I think 2015 will change that due to the recent memory of the event.

I also think people will be a bit curious about that big white blob at the base of the CN Tower when checking out the skyline and more so to anything resembling something iconic in the Boston skyline
I think you don't really have a strong grasp on how popular baseball is around the world. Baseball is the 3rd most grossing sport revenue wise after Soccer and American Football. 16 countries were represented in the World Baseball Classic the most recent tournament, so it is an International game, not just an American sport. Fenway Park, Yankee Stadium and Wrigley Field are the most iconic stadiums in the MLB and the Red Sox are one of the most followed and revered teams around the world.

Also keep in mind how big the Sox are in Asia with their scouting connections to Japan. Since the Dice-K signing the Red Sox have the most lucrative TV deal of any MLB team in the Asian market. You don't think that means anything?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:18 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
"A panel of Time Out experts selected 75 cities to celebrate in the book 'The World's Greatest Cities' according to six criteria: Architecture, Arts & Culture, Buzz, Food & Drink, Quality of Life and World Status. In conjunction with our local correspondents, the panel then awarded the cities scores in each category and totalled them up for an overall ranking. The results are both fascinating and often surprising.

But now we want to know, which city, or cities, do you consider to be the greatest in the world and why?

The World's Greatest Cities: Order your copy now from the Time Out shop."
The results

Here are the top ten world cities as voted for by the Time Out panel:

1. New York, USA

Architecture: 9

Arts & culture: 10

Buzz: 10

Food & drink: 9

Quality of life: 6

World status: 9

Total/60: 53

2. London, UK

Architecture: 7

Arts & culture: 10

Buzz: 9

World status: 9
Total/60: 50

3. Paris, France

Arts & culture: 9
Buzz: 6

Quality of life: 7

World status: 8

Total/60: 48

4. Berlin, Germany

Arts & culture: 9

Food & drink: 6

Total/60: 46

Equal 5th. Barcelona, Spain

Arts & culture: 7

Buzz: 8

Food & drink: 8

Quality of life: 8
World status: 4

Total/60: 44

Equal 5th. Chicago, USA

Arts & culture: 8
Buzz: 7

Food & drink: 7

World status: 6

Equal 5th. Tokyo, Japan

Arts & culture: 6

Food & drink: 10

Quality of life: 4

8. Istanbul, Turkey

World status: 7

Total/60: 43

Equal 9th. Rome, Italy

Food & drink: 6

World status: 7

Total/60: 42

Equal 9th. Sydney, Australia

Arts & culture: 6

Quality of life: 10
World status: 5

Total/60: 42

"

The world's greatest city? - Time Out Travel
Actually I kind of like this list. Mainly because if I was writing my Top 10, 7 of the 10 named would also be in mine.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:38 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
As a Philadelphian, I wish Philly was on the list.

The City Of Brotherly Love is historic, has some great architecture, world class museums, interesting and diverse neighborhoods, one of the very best restaurant cities in North America, lots of charm and attitude!

It's a city of "firsts." First municipal water works. Oldest continuously inhabited residential street in the US (Elfreth's Alley.) Oldest zoo in America. First art academy in the US. Oldest bridge in continuous use in the US (Pennypack Bridge). First public school in America. First public high school in the US. First photograph ever taken in North America. First hospital in the US - it's still there. First Botanic Garden in America - it's still there.

Our Chinatown is the third oldest and largest in the US.

In another thread I listed no fewer than 85 movies either about Philly or filmed here, and over 30 songs about this city.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 PM

15 posts, read 40,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
to people who think people see Toronto as a big tourist attraction, lol. Nothing about Toronto is unique, nothing...(only in that lame 'but every city is unique way'). Boston is chock full of fascinating attractions. Toronto is just another city. I've been to China, why would I be so interested in a Chinatown?
Boston also has world class cuisine.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:49 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,421 times
All I can say is that Houston is should be in the top 15 seeing that it is the most diversed city in the country and not to menton most of the people that are there should have alot of family traveling to visit them.........I think they need to check that list again are do more research because Houston has most nationalities there.Houston is not a rusty sunbelt city like people always make southern cities sound like what about the rusty north belt cities like Philly,Boston etc.....

Rusty means something old and basically those cities are older then cities like Houston,Dallas and Miami!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Anthony Bourdain's No Reservation and The Layover provides an interesting peak into cities that I haven't visited.
Definitely! I love watching his shows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City