Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,633 times

Advertisements

Where would you go? looking to buy a house/condo within the next year, and hopefully a bright future for the hospitality industry.
Bellingham looks nice for outdoor recreation, and not far from the city, but high home prices.
Bend looks like cheep housing but maybe no jobs and too far away from a major airport.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM

17 posts, read 42,396 times
Well, there are some differences as Bend has been hit hard by the recession! REALLY HARD! The unemployment is around 15 percent here. I also work for the hospitality industry here in Bend, the hotel end of it. There have been many layoffs as the tourism market took a huge hit here. There have been many hiring freezes as well within the corporate chains. If you are ok with a waiting/serving job then you will have no trouble finding something like that in Bend as there are a lot of nice, even high-end restaurants.

As far as buying a home here, there has never been a better time as real estate prices are very low and remain low. There was a HUGE bubble here and it went BUST back about two years ago. Also and lastly it is way colder here than in Bellingham, as Bellingham does not average below freezing anytime of the year. Bend on the other hand will be below freezing at least 7 to 8 months out of the year with lots of snow. It has even snowed here several times in June since living here for only 12 years. The growing season is only about 65 days between hard freezes. We average 3,600 to 4,200 feet elevation in Bend, so that gives you a good idea.

After all of that is said, I love it here!! It is simply one of the most beautiful places to live. I love the cold and the long winters and snow. I also like the dry warm summers, although very short ones. The people are friendly in general, there are a LOT of transplants so there seems to be a lot of different attitudes that you typically wouldnt associate with a town of 85,000 people. Everyone is from somewhere else!!

Good luck, I wish I had more info on Bellingham, I have been there a few times, but not enough to know the real "Bellingham" per say. OHH and outdoors, you can beat Bend, well once again if you like cold weather outdoors. Bend has world-class skiing and snowboarding, also some of the best cross-country skiing in North America. In the summer you have the amazing Deschutes River right through the middle of town, perfect for floating in July and August. Amazing hiking/biking, tons of professional bikers in town. You just have to go east for less snow in the winter months. Just dont buy into the hype of 300 days of year of sunshine and clear weather, bc its not even close to being true. More like 200 sunny days. If you stay clear of that "idea" you will be fine as in not expecting this all of the time like a lot of people were and come to find out otherwise!

Good Luck and maybe come to Bend to see for yourself!!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:08 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,854 times
Bellingham is expensive. Plenty of hipster freeloaders there though. I can't tell you how many people showed up in response to my craigslist ads, trying to buy things for dirt cheap although they had no job and no prospects. Lots and lots of them had just moved from Bend.

I think those towns attract the same types of people, for good or ill.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 7,633 times
Thanks for the reply's. I moved to Bellingham two months ago because I heard of cooks leaving Bend OR because they could not find work.
Looks about the same here. I imagine when I do find a job it will be flipping burgers for minimum wage.
Lots of cute girls in Bellingham though.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:46 AM

122 posts, read 190,153 times
Bend is gorgeous, given its setting against the Central Oregon Cascades, Three Sisters, Mt. Bachelor, etc. It's sort of in the middle of nowhere (at least two hours from Eugene, longer from Portland, and that's in spring/summer driving conditions) but that is part of the charm. The weather is pretty fabulous -- cold but sunny winters and warm summers. The Deschutes and Crooked Rivers are very scenic and famous for flyfishing. I should also say that the city feels less "Pacific Northwest" and more California in terms of the demographics (lots of well-to-do retirees) and even the housing developments.

Bellingham has three major things going for it: 1) its Pacific setting, overlooking the Salish Sea, the San Juans and Vancouver Island; 2) its proximity to two major metros, Seattle and Vancouver BC; and 3) it also has a very attractive geographic setting, especially given the prominence of nearby Mount Baker and the North Cascades.

Both cities punch above their weight for cultural amenities, including some very good restaurants and thriving microbrew scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City