Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 10:04 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Every single one of your post are laughable. I don't know anyone that will take you serious on city data f you keep talking this way.
I've already discounted every word you've typed, and I'm sure most others feel the same way. By the way, it's "seriously."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
The only reason I would pick Milwaukee is for Chicago.
Yet you've never been to Milwaukee.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
As you mentioned, Cleveland has the 2nd largest theater district in the United States ... something not even Chicago can stake a claim to
If all that concerns you is the "size" of a theater district, and you wish as well to ignore the fact that Chicago has "several" distinct theater districts, as well as a far more extensive and innovative overall theater scene than Cleveland does (much of what ends up on Broadway in NYC originates in Chicago, for example) -- well, in that case you may be right...

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
The thing is, I've written about music professionally. I've toured in bands. I've booked tours internationally. I'm very well-connected with the arts scene, and have been for close to 30 years. Ballet, 3rd run Broadway plays and classical music are not modern "arts," they are what your grandmother can accept as "arts." Every metro in the Midwest has a variation of the theatre, orchestra, etc. Real, cutting edge arts (what is happening now) vary city-to-city vastly. Cleveland and Cincy simply do not compare with Columbus today (or for the past few decades), and I would know, since I've been booking bands and installations for a couple decades now and this is the kind of information I have to possess.
Very good point and well stated.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 AM

4,523 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Very good point and well stated.
Andrew, now I KNOW you're crazy.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:17 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
^ Prof, I wouldn't worry too much about what the above purveyors of low-culture Columbus boy-bands, bars, and beer conclude about high-culture Cleveland and Cincinnati art offerings and institutions. Nothing more happening in Cbus than chaff being blown about in the wind--here today, gone tomorrow. Undoubtedly, if one's 35 or older, they'll understand.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:49 AM

I'm over 35, and I'm concerned that you are also yet you're into boy bands. Pretty creepy. What's specifically happened in Cleveland that will "stick?" The answer is - nothing. 5th run plays. 180th run classical compositions. Are you completely unconcerned with vibrant, living culture? Because if so, you don't "get it," sorry.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:07 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
I'm over 35, and I'm concerned that you are also yet you're into boy bands. Pretty creepy. What's specifically happened in Cleveland that will "stick?" The answer is - nothing. 5th run plays. 180th run classical compositions. Are you completely unconcerned with vibrant, living culture? Because if so, you don't "get it," sorry.
Hahahaha, I love how you're letting your emotions get away from you on an online forum. We've moved from 3rd run to 5th run plays, and 180th run classical music. You still haven't explained why you think cutting edge= culture, when most European cities have lots of culture but are not necessarily cutting edge. Besides, Cleveland does have cutting edge things. We have a brand new Museum of Contemporary Art, and several Avant Garde theaters. In fact, the New York Times just printed an article about how cultured Cleveland is. http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/07/21...cleveland.html. The last line of the article? "...a T-shirt for sale at the homey Coffee House on the Case Western campus didn’t seem as far-fetched as it once might have. Emblazoned across it: Cleveland Is My Paris."

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM

I think you're projecting your emotions "getting away from you" onto me, because your statement couldn't be further from the truth. I've explained why cutting edge = defining local culture numerous times already, you can't get blood from a stone.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:45 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
So, you're over 35 and concerned with vibrant, living culture? Exactly where do you believe the rest of us to be? () We all mature in vastly different "social climes," and for you, Columbus has become some sort of Midwestern cultural-Mecca. Nevertheless, your own illusions don't translate into everyone else's reality. What's next--how many comic book stores, urban graffiti, flash mobs, Somali immigrants, and LGBT paraphernalia the other "2-Cs" lack? Please spare the rationale why Cbus is the "center of mind and heart" for the Midwest--and, in turn, you'll be spared learning why Cleveland and Cincinnati are Ohio's ONLY two cultured big-cities. (A deal?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City