Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best urban street life in US?
Chicago 60 42.25%
San Francisco 39 27.46%
Philadelphia 14 9.86%
Boston 7 4.93%
Seattle 4 2.82%
Washington 4 2.82%
L.A. 8 5.63%
other 6 4.23%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:08 PM

541 posts, read 912,179 times

Advertisements

Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 19,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Depends, if you're talking about a % of city limits, maybe SF or Boston? If you're just talking about a physical area I think Chicago is definitely right up there.
Yeah, I was thinking in absolute terms, not as a % of the city. More like if you were to go on a long walk on a Saturday afternoon. Which city would you have the greatest absolute vibrancy. Vibrant as in more or less continuously active street life.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
While far from perfect, the best approximation of an objective answer to this I could find is here

NYC - 85 pts
SF - 85 pts
Boston - 79 pts
Chicago - 74 pts
Philadelphia - 74 pts
I like the site, but it averages everything within city boundaries to get that score. It's why despite how much more urban and how it's urban a much larger area, NYC has a score about equal to SF's.

I do think SF and Chicago are essentially tied for second after NYC though the gap between those cities and NYC is significant while the gap between them and Boston/Philly/DC/LA for total areas that would qualify as urban and vibrant is much smaller.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I like the site, but it averages everything within city boundaries to get that score. It's why despite how much more urban and how it's urban a much larger area, NYC has a score about equal to SF's.

I do think SF and Chicago are essentially tied for second after NYC though the gap between those cities and NYC is significant while the gap between them and Boston/Philly/DC/LA for total areas that would qualify as urban and vibrant is much smaller.
I agree on the gap rough thresholds. I would put Boston and Philly alone in their own third tier. DC probably has as many vibrant areas as Boston and even Philly. But, they are not as tightly packed together. Georgetown is a little removed from Dupont, which is a little removed from Gallery Place. The street life is broken up by lots of 9-5 office zones. In Philly and Boston the lively spaces are more integrated. North End flows to Haymarket, which flows to Quincy Market, which flows to DTX, which flows to Chinatown, etc. Same with Philly. Rittenhouse flows to Gayborhood, which flows to Redding Terminal/Chinatown and so on..

LA is just a different beast. Dense and huge, but really lacking the clustered mass of the more traditional mono-centric cities.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Chicago has a bigger continuous active area than SF.

I charted out a continuous 18 square mile area that is unbroken in terms of street life, you could walk clark or lincoln with bars or restaurants down the streets all the way to downtown and all the way west-east also between the areas.

I didn't even include areas such as Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square which are the main hip areas. Chicago only has a break b/c of industrial areas along the river and expressway.

This is over 18.4 square miles.

I would say at most SF has about a 10square mile area like this from NE corner of Fisherman's wharf, NW to Marina District, SE to SoMa, South to the Castro/Mission and upper parts of Noe Valley. West to the outer edge of Haight Ashbury and parts of Inner Sunset/Inner Richmond.

This is only 10 square miles.

For anyone familiar with it, just the greater Downtown area of Chicago from Roosevelt west to halsted/expressway north to north ave bordered by the lake is close to 4 square miles already.

This is basically what you are seeing in the picture where the buildings stop.

Icem11
That's an 18 square mile area.

Last edited by grapico; 07-08-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peninsular View Post
While far from perfect, the best approximation of an objective answer to this I could find is here

NYC - 85 pts
SF - 85 pts
Boston - 79 pts
Chicago - 74 pts
Philadelphia - 74 pts
Yeah, that seems about right.

Walking is a pleasure in SF.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:24 PM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
I do think SF and Chicago are essentially tied for second after NYC
Chicago has better urban street life than Boston? Really? Chicago just never struck me as that kind of city? And I can't imagine the gap between SF and Boston being that large. Or at least I know that Boston is a beast of a city when it comes to urban street life.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Chicago has better urban street life than Boston? Really? Chicago just never struck me as that kind of city? And I can't imagine the gap between SF and Boston being that large. Or at least I know that Boston is a beast of a city when it comes to urban street life.

Boston is behind NYC, Chicago, SF and Philly IMO.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago has a bigger continuous active area than SF.

I charted out a continuous 18 square mile area that is unbroken in terms of street life, you could walk clark or lincoln with bars or restaurants down the streets all the way to downtown and all the way west-east also between the areas.

I didn't even include areas such as Ukrainian Village, Wicker Park, Bucktown, Logan Square which are the main hip areas. Chicago only has a break b/c of industrial areas along the river and expressway.

This is over 18.4 square miles.

I would say at most SF has about a 10square mile area like this from NE corner of Fisherman's wharf, NW to Marina District, SE to SoMa, South to the Castro/Mission and upper parts of Noe Valley. West to the outer edge of Haight Ashbury and parts of Inner Sunset/Inner Richmond.

This is only 10 square miles.

For anyone familiar with it, just the greater Downtown area of Chicago from Roosevelt west to halsted/expressway north to north ave bordered by the lake is close to 4 square miles already.

This is basically what you are seeing in the picture where the buildings stop.

Icem11
That's an 18 square mile area.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:37 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Yeah, you may have changed my mind, Grapico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City