Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Chicagoland vs. San Francisco Bay Area vs. Greater NYC (Money no object)
Chicagoland (~9 million) 36 26.87%
San Francisco Bay Area (~8 million) 65 48.51%
Greater NYC (~22 million) 49 36.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 02:25 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The employment stats do show a growing pattern as well.

Just so you understand, size and distance are not taken into consideration.

Once again, the only ' business activity' that matters is 15% of workers commuting to the Bay Area.
Fair enough, but how much of an impact will a county of 64,000 residents really play in this? I mean we are reaching..lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM

36,656 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Fair enough, but how much of an impact will a county of 64,000 residents really play in this? I mean we are reaching..lol!!
Yes I certainly understand your point but that's why its good that the 15% threshold is uniformly applied to the entire country, that way its fair.

Also, you might be interested in knowing that San Benito county is also already part of the Bay Area CSA because that county meets the commuter requirement, in fact its over 25% thus SB is part of the San Jose MSA even tho its very small.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:05 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
I'd choose NYC, because I have a long love affair with city and many family ties there. I feel at home in New York at least as much as I do in my home city.

That said, I would avoid the trendy areas, even if money were no object. I could see myself around 101st and Amsterdam, Morningside Heights. I've always liked that part of Manhattan - nice and diverse, close to the Park, to Harlem, and multiple subway options to get uptown/downtown.
Of course, if money were no option, I'd also keep an apartment on the Grand Concourse, and maybe a brownstone in Fort Greene for good measure.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 PM

222 posts, read 578,966 times
If money wasn't a thing and i had to go there I would say NYC for sure.
1) It's more diverse than all of them
2) Love the non stop night life
3) It's the big apple rather suburbs are not. i have access to the greatest city on earth.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:14 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
IMHO, no cities in the nation can offer a downtown core with critical mass, all the amenities, the complete package, the oz-like draw than New York, Chicago, and San Francisco (and for NYC, I'm seeing "downtown" as mostly being Midtown but also being Downtown in a double core).

These three cities have a special link in what they offer on the urban experience.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 PM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
IMHO, no cities in the nation can offer a downtown core with critical mass, all the amenities, the complete package, the oz-like draw than New York, Chicago, and San Francisco (and for NYC, I'm seeing "downtown" as mostly being Midtown but also being Downtown in a double core).

These three cities have a special link in what they offer on the urban experience.
Three great cities with three great urban cores, but it's really NYC by itself and then Chicago leading the pack in a tier with Philly, SF, Boston, DC, and LA.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Three great cities with three great urban cores, but it's really NYC by itself and then Chicago leading the pack in a tier with Philly, SF, Boston, DC, and LA.
I would consider the list of cities you gave as all totally major. But when it comes to the core, I'm not sure I agree with you. DC is the least core city of them all, although it is definitely urban. DT DC is not a major place; height restrictions have a major play in this.

DT LA is far more major than it was, but I just don't get anywhere near the buzz you suggest. LA still is far more about the westside than it is about DT.

When I said that NY/Chi/SF were the ultimate in core cities, the next one on my list would have been Boston. And there is no question that one of the most dramatic turnarounds of a downtown in recent times is Center City, Philly…..a place that shows what can happen when skyline restrictions (theirs was informal, not legal like DC's) are lifted.

But for my buck, nothing can compare with the draw of the cores of New York, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I would consider the list of cities you gave as all totally major. But when it comes to the core, I'm not sure I agree with you. DC is the least core city of them all, although it is definitely urban. DT DC is not a major place; height restrictions have a major play in this.

DT LA is far more major than it was, but I just don't get anywhere near the buzz you suggest. LA still is far more about the westside than it is about DT.

When I said that NY/Chi/SF were the ultimate in core cities, the next one on my list would have been Boston. And there is no question that one of the most dramatic turnarounds of a downtown in recent times is Center City, Philly…..a place that shows what can happen when skyline restrictions (theirs was informal, not legal like DC's) are lifted.

But for my buck, nothing can compare with the draw of the cores of New York, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Overall, I think you are right on. These are the biggest and busiest/densest cores in the US.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
For 10-15 years, I would love to live in Greater NYC: Live in a beautiful townhome or high-rise condo in Brownstone Brooklyn in Fort Greene, Prospect Park, Clinton Hill, Brooklyn Heights or live in Astoria, Jackson Heights, or Long Island City in Queens, Upper West Side, Greenwich Village, Hoboken, Jersey City, or White Plains.

Afterwards, live in the Bay Area for the rest of my life. Live in a large, gorgeous custom-made home in the Wine Country or Berkeley or own waterfront property in Marin County, or an historic Victorian in Pacific Heights or Richmond/Sunset District or North Beach. Or own property in one of those beautiful hillside communities in Oakland.

But to maintain ties here in the DMV, I would also love to own a beautiful rowhome in DC's Adams Morgan neighborhood

Last edited by tcave360; 03-25-2014 at 11:19 PM..

Old 03-26-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Overall, I think you are right on. These are the biggest and busiest/densest cores in the US.
again, it's just our opinions, but i do think they have merit. When one talks of Boston and Philadelphia, great cities each on any level, one cannot forget their proximity to New York. And I do think that proximity is part of the picture. New York, Chicago, and San Francisco are far apart and thus that gives each of them a part of their draw.

Imagine if San Francisco and San Diego were to switch places. I don't think SF would be the same type of place (obviously for many reasons). I don't think SF would work the same way that close to LA. Not that LA is a greater city than SF; both of them are true, major, blockbuster cities, each wonderfully unique in its own way, but SF as a magnet, a draw, is helped by that isolation. LA is so big and dominating that it would suck a lot of the energy out of SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City