Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 12:14 AM

23,860 posts, read 32,125,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I personally don't think quality of life equates with business friendliness though, which is the biggest flaw of the list.

Business friendliness in terms of low taxes and cost of living means nothing if you're having trouble attracting talent or business itself due to the low wages or the poor infrastructure.

See Mississippi on one end of the spectrum, and a state like New York on the other. Although New York isn't as business friendly, NYC is still the economic capital of the country due to all of the amenities it offers. Meanwhile, while Mississippi is extremely business friendly, it's one of the poorest states in the union economically because of its poor infrastructure.

"Business Friendly" in code for "Right to Work". Union busting states love that term.

It generally translates into low wages for middle and working class people.

Not exactly democracy in action.

MS is a poor and repressed state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 12:44 AM

494 posts, read 800,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"Business Friendly" in code for "Right to Work". Union busting states love that term.

It generally translates into low wages for middle and working class people.

Not exactly democracy in action.

MS is a poor and repressed state.

Oh really? See how it was working out for people in Michigan BEFORE Right to Work. Try again..

Lastly.. Right to work does not BAN Unions as most of you people love to suggest. In states like this all it means is that if a Union wants you to join them they have to WORK FOR YOU and thus the worker. Why is that so wrong? If they do good by their workers Unions can and will thrive.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 AM

29,749 posts, read 18,615,199 times
If more people agreed, there would be tons of people in N. Dakota, Maine, Hawaii, Minnesota, Vermont...but those are all low population states. I woldn't want to live in any of them except Hawaii due to climate. Hawaii is superexpensive and life is limited by the small islands so wouldn't want to live ther for very long either.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
If more people agreed, there would be tons of people in N. Dakota, Maine, Hawaii, Minnesota, Vermont...but those are all low population states. I woldn't want to live in any of them except Hawaii due to climate. Hawaii is superexpensive and life is limited by the small islands so wouldn't want to live ther for very long either.
Great analysis! If more people agreed with you the country would continue its tailspin in crime, healthcare, and education -- things that the best QOL states all fare very well in. Also, places like California, Texas and Florida would be the best places to live in the country because they are the most populated. Similarly, India, China and Pakistan are supposedly the best countries to live in the world because they are the most populous.

P.S. Minnesota has about 5.5 million people, which is what the population of Washington state was 15 years ago. Did you think Washington had a low population and low popularity then?

Last edited by Min-Chi-Cbus; 07-13-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-13-2013, 09:43 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,685,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Oh really? See how it was working out for people in Michigan BEFORE Right to Work.
Michigan's problem is that it was a one-industry state (Automotive), not so much that it wasn't Right-to-Work.

The same thing that happened in Michigan would happened in Right-to-Work/extremely conservative Texas if the Oil Industry were to ever collapse (which it KIND OF did in the 1970s).

Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
They lost me at South Dakota, Nebraska and North Dakota.

I suppose if you like being in the middle of nowhere .
. . . which some people do.

Spoiler alert:
Spoiler
not everybody likes what you like.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:03 AM

15,853 posts, read 34,997,155 times
It's pretty obvious that their criteria and mine are vastly different. But then, I have never been a huge fan of maple syrup.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,124,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's pretty obvious that their criteria and mine are vastly different. But then, I have never been a huge fan of maple syrup.

20yrsinBranson
Was maple syrup a criteria?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,685,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
. . . which some people do.

Spoiler alert:
Spoiler
not everybody likes what you like.
I'm not saying people don't.

But using the same logic, you could say low taxes and low cost of living isn't the only thing businesses care about when deciding if a place is "business-friendly."

Old 07-14-2013, 03:41 AM

494 posts, read 800,011 times
Quote:
Michigan's problem is that it was a one-industry state (Automotive), not so much that it wasn't Right-to-Work.

The same thing that happened in Michigan would happened in Right-to-Work/extremely conservative Texas if the Oil Industry were to ever collapse (which it KIND OF did in the 1970s).
This was happening for a number of years and thus way before the Automotive collapse. RegardlessSheena12 is way off the mark and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City