Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is New Orleans World Class...how bout Las Vegas
Yeah their World Class 7 6.60%
New Orleans is 14 13.21%
Las Vegas is 8 7.55%
World Class?..Nah not quite 77 72.64%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM

1,108 posts, read 2,286,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
No actually I think we have 5 to 6 world class cities it NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Boston and/or DC. Houston, Dallas, Seattle, and Atlanta are the next 4 up IMO
World Class City is such a subjective concept that this exercise almost feels a little silly. But to me, the only slam dunk world class city in the US is NYC. LA and Chicago would probably be as well, depending on your definition. San Francisco, DC, Boston, and maybe Philly are all pushing it a little, but I could see how one could make an argument that these cities are world class.

Aside from those cities, I don't think any other US city can be in the discussion. Plenty of other great cities, no doubt, but in no way world class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,337 times
Quote:
No actually I think we have 5 to 6 world class cities it NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Boston and/or DC. Houston, Dallas, Seattle, and Atlanta are the next 4 up IMO
Correct. Atlanta and Houston for example are considered "Second Tier World Class Cities" but yes sir you are right. Be blessed have a good weekend.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:35 PM

367 posts, read 996,331 times
Quote:
NOLA could be world class, 3-5 decades from now. They have alot of cleaning up to do in that city. I hope they have a strong leadership in the area. So much potential if industries are created and Money is invested. Las Vegas will never be "World Class" due to lack of a true economy other then tourism and hospitality, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Interesting Assessment

Old 07-13-2013, 01:41 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
World Class City is such a subjective concept that this exercise almost feels a little silly. But to me, the only slam dunk world class city in the US is NYC. LA and Chicago would probably be as well, depending on your definition. San Francisco, DC, Boston, and maybe Philly are all pushing it a little, but I could see how one could make an argument that these cities are world class.

Aside from those cities, I don't think any other US city can be in the discussion. Plenty of other great cities, no doubt, but in no way world class.
Well depending on your definition. Economically, Culturally, and Socially we have 10-12 cities that could fall in the world class category. True most don't stand up compared to New York but looking at the world very few cities could stand up to New York. Only cities I can think of how can are London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Maybe Berlin and Maybe Sydney. Even Paris would be more on the level of Chicago or LA. But I think World Class can be measured on Tiers. Right now that 3 or 4th tier is Atlanta, Seattle, Houston, Dallas, and Miami. Philly, Boston, DC, and San Fran, are a tier above. Chicago and LA could be on a tier together or with NYC, depending on how you judge it. But all those cities are Economic powers, Culturally standout, most are growing cities, most are becoming more cosmopolitan and progressive, and all have some world wide recognition. That's world class IMO it is kinda of a silly argument because ever one has different qualifications on what is world class but I think most will agree those are the Countries Greatest and Most Powerful cities. Cities like Seattle, Houston, and Atlanta are having significant and rapid growth that's why I think they are next in line to move up tiers within the next decade. But back the the original topic, Based on those qualifications I would not say Vegas or New Orleans are quite World Class. Both are tourist cities and have alot of recognition but still lack many aspects to be truly world class.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:03 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,551,946 times
las vegas???

Old 07-14-2013, 12:08 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I love New Orleans - a world class tourist attraction, sure. A world class city, not remotely.
Agree with this completely. People from all over the nation and even world vacation in New Orleans, but beyond the tourist attractions its definitely not world class. Despite all its problems, it's really just too small.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:37 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Neither one of those cities are World Class, but they are American gems...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 PM

580 posts, read 1,421,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I love New Orleans - a world class tourist attraction, sure. A world class city, not remotely.
I 100% agree. It's a tourist spot but not a world class city. IMO the ony 2 major cities in the US who holds that tier 1 spot are NYC and Chicago. Tier 2 (almost there) are LA, DC, ATL, Philly, and SF.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Las Vegas could be considered a world class destination in terms of mass tourism... I mean some of the hotels there are world-class, and they've got restaurants from some of the top chefs in the world. It's all very gaudy and it lacks most of the cultural diversions of other more urban destinations, but it's at it's heart a resort destination--just a sort of strange one that sprung up in the desert in part because of Bugsy Siegel and the Mafia.

Is Las Vegas the city itself world-class? No, not really and a trip to downtown Las Vegas proves that rather quickly.

New Orleans isn't world-class either, but in terms of other elements of it(the food, the music, the historical neighborhoods) that make it unique--it's a destination worthy of international recognition. I mean, I've met Europeans that were fascinated by New Orleans. There's people who are big jazz fans(real jazz and the history of it) who make a pilgrimage to it from places like Japan or Brazil or Africa. I don't know what other cities would be a good comparison to it, but there's places in Europe or Latin America or Asia whose cultural contributions and history more than make up for the fact that their relatively smaller cities/metros.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,132,310 times
No....Do you think New Orleans stands up to cities lie London, NYC, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Seoul, and Singapore? If not, then it's not world class....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City