Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tennessee? North Caorlina?
TENNESSEE sounds nice to me 93 48.69%
Sorry, i have to give this one to NORTH CAROLINA 98 51.31%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 05:16 PM

173 posts, read 296,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
There's not an endless supply of high end stores waiting around to enter markets like Charlotte and Nashville. These metros have already reached the critical mass where they've attracted the majority of the stores you see in metros twice their size. I know the shopping amenity loss when I moved back to Nashville from the Detroit area was fairly minimal and almost completely limited to very exclusive stores I genuinely couldn't afford anyway like Ferragoma or Armani.
There are many, many high end stores that are in metros larger than Charlotte and Nashville. (Houston, Atlanta)

The stores that exist in those metros will get to Charlotte before Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 05:17 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
There's not an endless supply of high end stores waiting around to enter markets like Charlotte and Nashville. These metros have already reached the critical mass where they've attracted the majority of the stores you see in metros twice their size. I know the shopping amenity loss when I moved back to Nashville from the Detroit area was fairly minimal and almost completely limited to very exclusive stores I genuinely couldn't afford anyway like Ferragoma or Armani.
This is true. If anything, you'll probably see Charlotte starting to add second locations of some high-end stores instead of seeing a slew of new ones enter the market.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
There are many, many high end stores that are in metros larger than Charlotte and Nashville. (Houston, Atlanta)

The stores that exist in those metros will get to Charlotte before Nashville.
No doubt to both points, but I think you're missing mine. Most of those very exclusive stores that you only find in cities the size of Houston or Atlanta are not coming to Charlotte or Nashville any time soon. What we're more likely to see is both cities gradually adding more common high end retailers to the metro here and there. But there's not going to be the flurry of new, pricey retailers that both cities experienced the last decade as they already have most of the staple stores that are common in high-end malls (e.g., Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, 7, etc.).

Old 07-25-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
No doubt to both points, but I think you're missing mine. Most of those very exclusive stores that you only find in cities the size of Houston or Atlanta are not coming to Charlotte or Nashville any time soon. What we're more likely to see is both cities gradually adding more common high end retailers to the metro here and there. But there's not going to be the flurry of new, pricey retailers that both cities experienced the last decade as they already have most of the staple stores that are common in high-end malls (e.g., Tiffany, Louis Vuitton, 7, etc.).
I understand your point. My original point was what I said in my last post. There's going to be a gap in high end stores that are located in Charlotte and Nashville. Charlotte will more than likely reach Atlanta and Houston's population first, therefore getting those bigger brands first.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:34 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
I understand your point. My original point was what I said in my last post. There's going to be a gap in high end stores that are located in Charlotte and Nashville. Charlotte will more than likely reach Atlanta and Houston's population first, therefore getting those bigger brands first.
In the time it will take Charlotte or Nashville to reach Atlanta/Houston population level is far enough in the future that you really can't determine the fate of either city. At any given time, a shift in economic or social trends could halt or slow either city's growth. To assume that Charlotte will beat Nashville to the Atlanta/Houston level *of today* or that either will ever reach that level is an exercise in imaginative powers. Long term trends are more or less impossible to forecast.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
In the time it will take Charlotte or Nashville to reach Atlanta/Houston population level is far enough in the future that you really can't determine the fate of either city. At any given time, a shift in economic or social trends could halt or slow either city's growth. To assume that Charlotte will beat Nashville to the Atlanta/Houston level *of today* or that either will ever reach that level is an exercise in imaginative powers. Long term trends are more or less impossible to forecast.
True. However since Charlotte's metro is at 2.3 million and Nashville's metro is 1.7, and Charlotte is still growing faster, I do believe that Charlotte will stay the larger metro, even if the growth slows.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
True. However since Charlotte's metro is at 2.3 million and Nashville's metro is 1.7, and Charlotte is still growing faster, I do believe that Charlotte will stay the larger metro, even if the growth slows.
Given the current trends, absolutely. I'm just saying you can't count Charlotte getting to 5.5-6 million first as a given. If you were talking, say, 3.5 million, then yeah...that's a much shorter term benchmark.

Right now, much of the Sun Belt growth is fueled by domestic migration, with a decent chunk also coming from international migration. Who says those trends will continue indefinitely?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 PM

34 posts, read 65,406 times
High end retail can exist outside of malls, Calilovin. I guess in Charlotte you wouldn't realize that though. Don't know why you're so intent on using Charlotte to defend the entire state, the rest of NC is much better anyway.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:43 PM

34 posts, read 65,406 times
Also, with internet, retail stores are becoming dated. Since when do high-end brands make a city great anyway???

Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 PM

620 posts, read 1,198,472 times
Nashville has a Rolls Royce dealership.

How about that for High end?

+1 for Nashville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City