Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:19 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times

Advertisements

Fair enough but at least I provided a source other than some speculation that any 'legit' list in the top 20 must contain S.F.... care to share.. If it surprises you about Bangkok and Istanbul's prominence for tourism I strongly suggest some research on these cities. You also have to look at the context of my post that was challenging the assumption that cities like Bangkok and Istanbul couldn't be top tourism destinations... they simply are!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Your source is a skeptical one. The list is made up by Mastercard on how many of their cardholders have used their card in cities around the world.. That alone is misleading. Many of those cities on that top 20 list are major transfer hubs and on longer layovers people will venture off the airport into the city for a quick bite/shopping. San Francisco on a legit list would rank inside the top 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM

443 posts, read 877,819 times
No doubt, San Francisco has much better neighborhoods to explore from a tourist's pespective. Chinatown, North Beach, Castro, Haight-Ashbury, are all very well known, but the Mission, SOMA, Nob Hill, Lower Haight, Fillmore, Pacific Heights, the Marina, and many others are also outstanding for tourists.

Seattle and Vancouver have some cool neighborhoods, but nowhere near the quantity or caliber (at least, from a tourist's perspective) that SF does.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:00 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Seattle and Vancouver are great cities, but SF is basically a city and a theme park all in one! SF's attractions and scenic locations lends itself so well to tourists.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:29 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Fair enough but at least I provided a source other than some speculation that any 'legit' list in the top 20 must contain S.F.... care to share.. If it surprises you about Bangkok and Istanbul's prominence for tourism I strongly suggest some research on these cities. You also have to look at the context of my post that was challenging the assumption that cities like Bangkok and Istanbul couldn't be top tourism destinations... they simply are!
What good is a source if the information gathered isn't accurate? I have seen these Mastercard polls done year after year and they are laughed at by anyone with knowledge of the tourism business. It is difficult to come up with a accurate list but we can all be sure it's Tokyo, Paris, New York, London, Hong Kong, Rome and then it gets sketchy from there.

I don't understand your persistence of trying to sell San Francisco short. Let's take a look at Bangkok. Do you know it's at the forefront for the manufacture of bootleg designer apparel/handbags? Many visitors go there because it's cheap and load up on fake goods to sell overseas. All Asian destinations except Tokyo are inexpensive to visit and have lax rules on travel visas. Bangkok is Thailand's sole international port of entry so anybody entering the country has to deplane there. The same can be said for Istanbul. Doesn't it strike you that over half the cities on that list you supplied are one of the cheapest locations in the world to visit?

The relative ease for foreign nationals to travel within Asia is another point you must look at. For Example:

For an international tourist originating in the Philippines to visit San Francisco they have to show proof of assets at the US embassy in order to acquire a tourist visa. plus $1=43 pesos exchange rate means unless your very well off you can't afford a US vacation.

On the other hand, A Filipino traveler to Hong Kong only needs a passport. No Visa, no proof of assets and a more favorable exchange rate that makes the trip more affordable.

I can come up with other reasons to take the wind out of that link's sails. Did you know that the Middle East is the leading region for foreign low skill workers? Look at the airlines that serve Manila Ninoy Aquino Intl. Airport. Close to half of those foreign carriers are Middle Eastern carriers!! Many Filipino and other third world Asian countries export their workforce to the Middle East.

San Francisco is indeed a MAJOR international destination. The number of foreign tails flying in should put that to rest.

Last edited by Fastphilly; 07-16-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 08:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Clearly you haven't read all my posts in here that I've made praising the laurels of S.F - might be a good idea to reread them prior to making such ignorant comments

I clearly stated that of the 3 challengers in here that S.F is head and shoulders above the rest... but any claim that it is head and shoulders above places like Bangkok and Istanbul is nonsensical. I think any objective visitor who doesn't have his head up his own city would agree. Talking about exchange rates or how cheap a destination is or that it sells bootleg goods is the main reasons people visit places like Istanbul and Bangkok is also ignorant of the places as well.

Visit Bangkok and see the Grand Palace, or Wat Pho - take the express boat on the glorious Chao Phraya river while gazing at the site of this grand metropolis... Visit the Chatuchak market on the weekend with its thousand of stalls selling practically anything - take in the smell and tastes of a myriad of street foods and fresh juices or go to the red light soi's or take in a muay thai match with visitors and locals - Bangkok is a wondrous place for the senses... I think that is why people visit not the excuses you've given.

Tell me have you been to Sultanahmet in Istanbul and stepped foot in the almost 1500 year old Hagia Sophia and marvelled at this engineering marvel - or the splendour of the Blue Mosque.. Have you walked in the Basilica Sistern and amazed yourself at the ingenuity of the Roman empire that built them or walked along Istiklal street in amazement at the vibrancy of the that street - where day and night there is a restaurant, club, Hookak bar, Hammam can be found to be greeted midway by the galata tower. Or have a fish sandwich fresh from the bosphorous before cruising this ancient waterway..

Bangkok and Istanbul are magical places which juxtapose the very old with the very new with a vibrancy and energy that only a handful of cities can match. After you go to these places - please get back to me - until then keep feeding excuses but we who've been to these places will know the truth - these are the places that you remember vividly minute for minute because they pulse with life like no others.

Since you like airports - read up on both Ataturk and Suvarnabhumi airports.

Sawadee Ka

Quote:
What good is a source if the information gathered isn't accurate? I have seen these Mastercard polls done year after year and they are laughed at by anyone with knowledge of the tourism business. It is difficult to come up with a accurate list but we can all be sure it's Tokyo, Paris, New York, London, Hong Kong, Rome and then it gets sketchy from there.

I don't understand your persistence of trying to sell San Francisco short. Let's take a look at Bangkok. Do you know it's at the forefront for the manufacture of bootleg designer apparel/handbags? Many visitors go there because it's cheap and load up on fake goods to sell overseas. All Asian destinations except Tokyo are inexpensive to visit and have lax rules on travel visas. Bangkok is Thailand's sole international port of entry so anybody entering the country has to deplane there. The same can be said for Istanbul. Doesn't it strike you that over half the cities on that list you supplied are one of the cheapest locations in the world to visit?

The relative ease for foreign nationals to travel within Asia is another point you must look at. For Example:

For an international tourist originating in the Philippines to visit San Francisco they have to show proof of assets at the US embassy in order to acquire a tourist visa. plus $1=43 pesos exchange rate means unless your very well off you can't afford a US vacation.

On the other hand, A Filipino traveler to Hong Kong only needs a passport. No Visa, no proof of assets and a more favorable exchange rate that makes the trip more affordable.

I can come up with other reasons to take the wind out of that link's sails. Did you know that the Middle East is the leading region for foreign low skill workers? Look at the airlines that serve Manila Ninoy Aquino Intl. Airport. Close to half of those foreign carriers are Middle Eastern carriers!! Many Filipino and other third world Asian countries export their workforce to the Middle East.

San Francisco is indeed a MAJOR international destination. The number of foreign tails flying in should put that to rest.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-16-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Vancouver is more aesthetically pleasing than Seattle. It also has a better skyline in my opinion and is more beautiful naturally. I think Vancouver suffers in terms of US tourism just by being in Canada and it also lacks that world class reputation. San Francisco though, being the world class city that it is, will probably always be the top tourist destination of these three.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Clearly you haven't read all my posts in here that I've made praising the laurels of S.F - might be a good idea to reread them prior to making such ignorant comments

I clearly stated that of the 3 challengers in here that S.F is head and shoulders above the rest... but any claim that it is head and shoulders above places like Bangkok and Istanbul is nonsensical. I think any objective visitor who doesn't have his head up his own city would agree. Talking about exchange rates or how cheap a destination is or that it sells bootleg goods is the main reasons people visit places like Istanbul and Bangkok is also ignorant of the places as well.

Visit Bangkok and see the Grand Palace, or Wat Pho - take the express boat on the glorious Chao Phraya river while gazing at the site of this grand metropolis... Visit the Chatuchak market on the weekend with its thousand of stalls selling practically anything - take in the smell and tastes of a myriad of street foods and fresh juices or go to the red light soi's or take in a muay thai match with visitors and locals - Bangkok is a wondrous place for the senses... I think that is why people visit not the excuses you've given.

Tell me have you been to Sultanahmet in Istanbul and stepped foot in the almost 1500 year old Hagia Sophia and marvelled at this engineering marvel - or the splendour of the Blue Mosque.. Have you walked in the Basilica Sistern and amazed yourself at the ingenuity of the Roman empire that built them or walked along Istiklal street in amazement at the vibrancy of the that street - where day and night there is a restaurant, club, Hookak bar, Hammam can be found to be greeted midway by the galata tower. Or have a fish sandwich fresh from the bosphorous before cruising this ancient waterway..

Bangkok and Istanbul are magical places which juxtapose the very old with the very new with a vibrancy and energy that only a handful of cities can match. After you go to these places - please get back to me - until then keep feeding excuses but we who've been to these places will know the truth - these are the places that you remember vividly minute for minute because they pulse with life like no others.

Since you like airports - read up on both Ataturk and Suvarnabhumi airports.

Sawadee Ka
I never said San Francisco is head and shoulders ABOVE those two cities, but it ranks right along with them and for you to think otherwise is ignorance on your part. I have been to Asia a few times (Manila, Hong Kong and Dehli) and those cities have their few locations for tourists that are quite crowded but the majority of the city landscapes is FAR below the poverty line except for Hong Kong. Being in a neighborhood off the beaten path with hordes of people walking the streets looking to pick your pocket isn't the kind of vibrancy I'm looking for. The only Asian global cites that blow San Francisco out of the water regarding tourism is Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore and Hong Kong. You talk vibrancy, take a walk in Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 or Union Square the streets are packed when I'm there. San Francisco is ranked an Alpha city, Bangkok and Istanbul are Alpha minus cities.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
Quote:
No S.F gets more International tourists... when taking into account domestic the disparity is even greater in favour of S.F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index

Top 20 Global Destination Cities in 2013 | MasterCard WorldWide Insights[u][b]

NORTH AMERICA Top 10 Destination Cities by International Overnight Visitors
1. New York 11.5 mil
2. Los Angeles 4.8 mil
3. Miami 3.9 mil
4. Toronto 3.4 mil
5. Vancouver 3.4 mil
6. San Francisco 3.0 mil
7. Washington 2.3 mil
8. Chicago 2.2 mil
9. Montreal 2.0 mil
10. Boston 1.6 mil

NORTH AMERICA Top 10 Destination Cities by International Overnight Visitor Spend
1. New York $18.6 bil
2. Los Angeles $7.8 bil
3. Vancouver $6.5 bil
4. Miami $6.3 bil
5. San Francisco $4.8 bil
6. Toronto $4.2 bil
7. Washington $3.7 bil
8. Chicago $3.5 bil
9. Boston $2.6 bil
10. Montreal $2.2 bil
Well according to this, Vancouver already gets more international visitors than San Francisco. Still, I personally prefer San Francisco as a tourist destination over Vancouver. I imagine Seattle is pretty far from being close to any cities in the top 10.

Last edited by jayp1188; 07-17-2013 at 12:04 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 11:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Well according to this, Vancouver already gets more visitors than San Francisco. Still, I personally prefer San Francisco as a tourist destination over Vancouver. I imagine Seattle is pretty far from being close to any cities in the top 10.
This doen't mean Vancouver has more visitors. This is International visitors. San Francisco has alot more visitors but they are american visitors. Seattle is far behind as it isn't really a tourist destination though has all the same that Vancouver has, just less expensive. But Seattle has definite potential. 20 years from now when the downtown core is built denser and more touristy things are added, I can see it getting near the level of San Francisco! I think the access to the mountains is important part in the growth in tourism.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM

364 posts, read 619,469 times
Quote:
I never said San Francisco is head and shoulders ABOVE those two cities, but it ranks right along with them and for you to think otherwise is ignorance on your part. I have been to Asia a few times (Manila, Hong Kong and Dehli) and those cities have their few locations for tourists that are quite crowded but the majority of the city landscapes is FAR below the poverty line except for Hong Kong. Being in a neighborhood off the beaten path with hordes of people walking the streets looking to pick your pocket isn't the kind of vibrancy I'm looking for. The only Asian global cites that blow San Francisco out of the water regarding tourism is Tokyo, Shanghai, Singapore and Hong Kong. You talk vibrancy, take a walk in Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39 or Union Square the streets are packed when I'm there. San Francisco is ranked an Alpha city, Bangkok and Istanbul are Alpha minus cities.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city
You were making fun of his resources for not being on par and then turn sround to give a GAWC link?

GAWC simply shows how cities around the world are connected to the United Kingdom in terms of business. Check your own sources before criticizing someone else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City