Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best US Landmark
Seattle Space Needle 36 27.91%
St Louis Arch 84 65.12%
Atlanta Ferris Wheel (SkyView Atlanta) 4 3.10%
I haven't been to any of these 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 05:59 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Lol NO it was not....I didnt know so many cities had ferris wheels...I felt the Skyview Atlanta was unique....and a Great Addition to the centenial park area.....I dont care what anyone says I predict that this wheel will.become Iconic because.of.Atlantas media presence...they're going to be showing this wheel on tv a LOT..jus watch....

Remember the people of Paris Hated the Effial Tower when it was first built ...guess what they called it...Tacky...Underwhelming..Eyesore, jus like some of you on city data ....look at paris now

Even if the Wheel never reaches landmark status,..it is still a great addition.I would never throw Atlanta under the bus. To me Atlanta is 132 square miles of beauty...World Class in nature...and chock full of Dazzling skyscrapers and immense skyLINES...a pleasent place for anyone to live

This poll is just ahead of its time
In 2-3years this poll will make perfect sense

But I could be wrong..the wheel may turn out to be no more famous than the one in Seattle..if thats the case i ll be the first to admit that I was wrong
Okay........... While I agreed with the others that saw this as a clear attempt to belittle Atlanta, (even those that don't care for Atlanta saw that perspective), I will accept that YOU say that this wasn't an attempt to throw Atlanta under the bus.
I am from Atlanta and love Atlanta, but am (like FastPhilly) often a big critic of Atlanta (only because I want to see it get better). But even with my love for Atlanta, I don't become Atlanta biased, and I do not think this Ferris wheel will ever become "iconic." Actually, I hope it doesn't become "iconic" for Atlanta. I want to see a much more unique, much better, much more grand landmark be constructed for Atlanta to become Atlanta's iconic symbol in the future. Skyview can just be another piece of Atlanta's package (just like the wheel in Santa Monica Pier, Seattle, Coney Island, Chicago Navy Pier, etc...), but nothing more. Definitely not the symbol of the city.

Also, I don't think this thread is "ahead of its time." I don't think Skyview ever becomes what you are imagining it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 06:25 AM

23,453 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I'm not saying the Space Needle isn't a famous landmark (Especially when it's plastered on every TV show that is set in Seattle), but the Gateway arch is more of an American symbol. The Space Needle is more of a city symbol. It's kind of like how you see the Statue of Liberty and think of it as an American symbol and not just a NYC symbol, if that makes any sense.
Yes, it does. After all, it was built to symbolize the transition from the eastern to the western US. Don't get me wrong, I think the Arch is a marvelous landmark, but my earlier comment was in response to the suggestion that the Space Needle is only known locally.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
all you ferris wheel/Atlanta haters are probably pretty pleased with the way this thread is going, but s'pose Atlanta decided to build a giant arch or space needle on top of Stone Mountain and then on top of the arch/space needle they installed a giant ferris wheel? What then, huh, what then?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM

798 posts, read 1,033,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
What was the low blow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
That Ferris whell in Atlanta looks very underwhelming. The Ferris wheel in Seattle is just as Tall and has gorgeous views of the water, not just sprawling Atlanta....
Yeah, we all know Atlanta is sprawling and roads and urban neighborhoods blah blah blah. We get it. But seriously, I bet if you took a ride on the ferris wheel, you wouldn't see most of the sprawl. Most pictures of Atlanta show the trees and then the skylines poking out above the treeline.

This is not a boost to the ferris wheel. I'm not sure why a thread was made comparing the ferris wheel to the Gateway Arch or Space Needle. People in Atlanta don't think that's what it is. It's just a cool thing to have. Nothing more.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:58 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
You can't be serious? The St. Louis Arch is every bit as internationally known as the Space Needle. Your working overtime trying to boost Seattle's stature as some internationally known powerhouse but in reality if anybody has heard of Seattle they have heard of St. Louis. In ranking the top 10 US cities of international name recognition Seattle wouldn't even make the top 10.

The Space Needle is an old outdated looking observation deck with an overhyped/overpriced restaurant and has a far less impact on a cityscape than the Arch.

Seattle is an average run of the mill medium-large city with slightly above average scenery but amenities on par with sunbelt cities.
I voted for the Arch but your Seattle description is down right ridiculous.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Lol NO it was not....I didnt know so many cities had ferris wheels...I felt the Skyview Atlanta was unique....and a Great Addition to the centenial park area.....I dont care what anyone says I predict that this wheel will.become Iconic because.of.Atlantas media presence...they're going to be showing this wheel on tv a LOT..jus watch....

But I could be wrong..the wheel may turn out to be no more famous than the one in Seattle..if thats the case i ll be the first to admit that I was wrong
I don't think the wheel is meant to be anything more than an added attraction to an area that already has several large scale projects in the works.

Both the College Football Hall of Fame and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights are under construction adjacent to the park, in addition to the existing Coke Museum, the Aquarium, CNN Center etc. The ferris wheel adds more of a touristy vibe to the area, but that's about it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Its not a landmark or has any historical value. Hell Seattle has a Ferris wheel just as Tall! Is that a landmark? Nope, in 50 years maybe but not now. The Georgia Aquarium or Georgia Dome is more of a landmark then that Ferris wheel.
Agreed, although the GD's days are numbered. The city's most iconic landmark is about to replace it, and I can assure you that nobody (and I mean NOBODY!) is going to be thinking of a ferris wheel with this just around the corner.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/NQ...onsstadium.jpg

http://prod.static.falcons.clubs.nfl...Concept_CP.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-22-2013 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:53 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I don't think the wheel is meant to be anything more than an added attraction to an area that already has several large scale projects in the works.

Both the College Football Hall of Fame and the National Center for Civil and Human Rights are under construction adjacent to the park, in addition to the existing Coke Museum, the Aquarium, CNN Center etc. The ferris wheel adds more of a touristy vibe to the area, but that's about it IMO.

Agreed, although the GD's days are numbered. The city's most iconic landmark is about to replace it, and I can assure you that nobody (and I mean NOBODY!) is going to be thinking of a ferris wheel with this just around the corner.

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/NQ...onsstadium.jpg

http://prod.static.falcons.clubs.nfl...Concept_CP.jpg
Isn't it true that Preparation H is buying the naming rights to this, um...orifice?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Can I un-vote for the Gateway Arch, so I can throw Atlanta's dumb Ferris wheel a bone?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Which US landmark do you adore or want to visit

The Impressive St Louis Arch

The Futuristic Seattle Space Needle

Or the New Atlanta Ferris Wheel

-Most Impressive in person
-Best panoramic views
-Most Iconic
-Most famous
-Best visitor experience
-etc
If Atlanta's ferris wheel is new, then it's not a landmark IMO. I would pick St. Louis' Arch to visit, and as the number 1 landmark out of the 3 options. The space needle is unique, and obviously a landmark as well, but I think that the arch is more aesthetically appealing and architecturally more interesting.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
I think people are hating big time on the Atlanta ferris wheel saying it gives you terrible views and it's not worth it. I think it gives some incredible views of the Atlanta skyline and the city itself. Why does it have to be on a coastline to be good?

Atlanta ferris wheel at night - YouTube

Awesome Views-The New Atlanta Ferris Wheel.. - YouTube

I think the views are fine. Now I can understand the hate on the fees...i think they are too high, but the view itself is fine.

The ferris wheel at night is also beautiful and it adds something new to the cityscape.

Atlanta sky wheel light show. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City