Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best US Landmark
Seattle Space Needle 36 27.91%
St Louis Arch 84 65.12%
Atlanta Ferris Wheel (SkyView Atlanta) 4 3.10%
I haven't been to any of these 5 3.88%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,737,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
How is this... who... ferris wheel? Wha?

Next week's poll, Which is more iconic:

- Leonardo's da Vinci's "Mona Lisa"
- Edvard Munch's "The Scream"
- Timmy's finger-painting "Doodle no. 5" hanging on his mom's fridge

If you're going for an iconic ferris wheel, Deno's WonderWheel in Coney Island, hands down.
LOL...
NYisontop, read through... It seems only the OP here thinks the Atlanta ferris wheel is "iconic."
I don't even think the Skyview Atlanta owners intended on it being Atlanta's icon... Nobody does...

However, mentioning the Deno's wheel in Coney Island was a terribly "homer" thing to say. Terrible example of iconic. Sure it's definitely historic, but no good either. No sir... Not "iconic..." Especially not in a city full of other, better icons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 07:25 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,984,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Somehow walkscore has Seattle as the 6th most walkable city like what the ****? Apparently, it almost as walkable as Chicago. http://www.walkscore.com/WA/Seattle
It's misleading. Seattle has what you would call CBD's in each neighborhood with nice independent store fronts, however they are spread out from each other. So a car or LONG bus rides are needed to explore these hidden gems.

Ballard was nice. I remember patronizing a used vinyl record store called Bop Street Records that was one of the best I've seen.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Ohh you have been to both cities, You must be the Expert of All things Seattle then!
I've been there four times in the last 7 years (most recent was last year) since I have a friend that lives in Vancouver, WA. We take the just under three hour drive up I-5 whenever I'm up there so yes I have knowledge of the Seattle area and what it offers from a visitors perspective.

But according to you I guess we must move to Seattle in order to have an opinion

Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
I dont care if you dont like Seattle, nor if you want to live here, or any city any the world. I was just wondering why you seem to have a dislike of the city. Everyone has a reason. I don't say Atlanta and LA aren't my favorite cities just by looking up pictures and hearing second hand accounts. Like I stated in my earlier post alot of people of this forum talk abotu many cities without even having to slightest knowledge or what there talking about. It's real easy to throw out an opinion, the hard part is actually finding evidence to back it up
I went to Seattle for three days. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.

It's just some ordinary city, there's nothing remarkable about it. There's no Las Vegas Strip, no Times Square, no Hollywood, no Disney & Universal, no South Beach, no French Quarter, hey even for museums there's no MET, there's no Smithsonian, there's no Space Shuttle, there's no National Archives. Hey for nightlife, there's no Ultra, there's no well, basically anything I really care for.

I was pretty naive to have ever thought Seattle could be some place special. Average city, with above average scenery, with below average location.

I don't hate Seattle, I don't even dislike it. I'm just disappointed of a place that made me feel quite clownish, thinking it's as great as they come based off pictures of skyline and scenery alone, only to have that smirk cleaned off my face in a three day stay. It's a nice city, great city even. Just not one I'd ever say someone in say Dalian, China should ever be saying "Wow, wow!! Seattle, I have to see that!".

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 07-23-2013 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 PM

I don't see how anyone can think the Atlanta wheel is going to be "iconic" when it's only 20 stories tall, and Las Vegas is building TWO over 500' tall observation wheels... In fact, one of them shares the name "SkyVue" sounding just like Atlanta's "Skyview"

Atlanta's wheel already isn't the tallest in America, being 2nd to the one in Dallas, but by the middle of next year, it will be the 4th tallest, when Vegas opens the 2 largest in America, and one being the largest/tallest in the WORLD...

Las Vegas High Roller is being built to be 550' Tall (world's tallest)
Las Vegas SkyVue is being built to be 500' Tall, and will have the world's largest LCD screens on the sides of it...

Atlanta's Wheel will quickly be forgotten. But that's only a hit to those who think it to be "iconic."
It will just become another attraction to visit when visiting GA Aquarium. Or just another thing to see shown on HLN after a commercial, or during time-outs during football games, etc...

Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Why not create a poll for Atlanta's Skyview (200') vs Seattle's Great Wheel (175')?

That's a far better comparison poll.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And that's great for Seattle...my post however, was addressing Atlanta's ferris wheel and the massive hate on yet another Atlanta thing.
I notice people all across America love to hate all things Atlanta... for some strange reason.......
Nobody wants Atlanta success but the handful of Atlantans that love Atlanta.

For all this "Seattle vs Atlanta, My Seattle icon is better than your's" Hate, it may simply be because they're still bitter we popped that over-inflated Seattle Seahawks bubble last season........ Just say'n

Old 07-23-2013, 07:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post

For all this "Seattle vs Atlanta, My Seattle icon is better than your's" Hate, it may simply be because they're still bitter we popped that over-inflated Seattle Seahawks bubble last season........ Just say'n
Naw we got it this year! First the NFC West, Then the NFC Championship then Russel Wilson superbowl MVP!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
I notice people all across America love to hate all things Atlanta... for some strange reason.......
Nobody wants Atlanta success but the handful of Atlantans that love Atlanta.

I think all the hate on Atlanta comes from the city's representatives and posters on here claiming Atlanta to be the "Chicago Of The South" and when people get there the city doesn't live up to the hype. With the help of the internet news spreads like wildfire.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Naw we got it this year! First the NFC West, Then the NFC Championship then Russel Wilson superbowl MVP!
Got to get passed my squad first. Seattle is another wildcard at best. No freebies from the refs this year. Atlanta won't be a problem, they have developed an efficient way over tripping over their own feet come playoff time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City