Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
are you talking the water or the beach itself? Because Chicago can get above 70/75 degrees 7 months out of the year (I recall back in 88 it almost hit 70 in January even)

and the thing that makes the lake better than ocean beaches IMO (besides the lack of jellyfish, sea urchins, stinky seaweed, and nasty tasting water) is the massive changes from the ice floes of winter to the crystal blue 70 some degree temps of summer.

The ocean frankly is rather boring in comparison.

Lake Michigan has moods, colors, changes that would astound most coastal residents. Just this last week the water temps offf Holland Michigan went from 80 to 56 degrees in less than 24 hours.

http://media.mlive.com/grpress/news_...3714-large.jpg

Was cased by massive waves that brought colder deep water to the surface. I really think some people lack any comprehension just how formidable such a body of water is.

Lake Michigan has some 1700 km of shoreline, roughly the distance from New York City to Orlando. Almost all of it is beaches.
I'm out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,317,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm out.
Midwest1 sometimes makes good points, but half the time he makes whackjob comments as well. I would ignore them.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:00 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm out.
Agreed. Thats boosting to an unprecedented level. Its so delusional.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:02 AM

541 posts, read 912,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Midwest1 sometimes makes good points, but half the time he makes whackjob comments as well. I would ignore them.

Truth.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
the lake beach in chicago is definitely not nicer. the water is 99% of the time completely flat, the sand quality is also poor. The feel there is completely different.

huffingtonpost

big cities brightlights

washingtonpost

s600

social eye nyc
All that is in Queens, city proper. Bring in NJ and the rest of LI and it isn't close. Again, NYC beaches aren't Florida by any means, but they are way closer to that than beaches in and around Chicago.
Again, Chicago has the far better manicured lakefront than NYC close to downtown but the quality of the beaches themselves is a lopsided win for NYC.

You can go just outside the city and do freshwater swimming also with way more scenic views

This is closer to Manhattan than the Indiana Dunes are to Chicago by the way...

Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM

If I were a surfer, maybe id be more inclined to give a **** about waves, but im not. Being elitists about beaches. We are talking about NYC and Chicago here, not Maui or St Augustine.

When its hot as hell out, im more concerned with cooling off, not smelling the water. I actually really like the freshwater vs saltwater.

Im familiar with a ton of lake beaches in Upstate NY id prefer over anything downstate. Some of which have beautiful greenish and bluish hues instead of brown.

Last edited by IEnjoyBeer; 07-29-2013 at 01:55 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Am just curious. Is there any snow skiing in Chicagoland (there may be am unsure) There definately is in the NYC MSA and within a short some of the best skiing on the East Coast.

Just thought about this but probably another amentity far closer in this comparison

And this is not to say Chicago(land) is bad in any way but I do think the burbs show some differences in location and sorroundings, moreso to me than would be the cities themselves actually

Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM

No idea but id venture to say flat out no. NYC has Upstate and Vermont slopes ~3-4 hours away.

Chicago is a closer flight to Denver though.

Friend of mine in Central Jersey is currently debating this. Avid snowboarder, frequents Poconos a lot, and the shore in the summer. Thinking of just moving to Colorado cause the mountains on the East Coast are quite tame in comparison.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Am just curious. Is there any snow skiing in Chicagoland (there may be am unsure) There definately is in the NYC MSA and within a short some of the best skiing on the East Coast.

Just thought about this but probably another amentity far closer in this comparison

And this is not to say Chicago(land) is bad in any way but I do think the burbs show some differences in location and sorroundings, moreso to me than would be the cities themselves actually
Yes. There's skiing at a few snow hills (note: hills) in Northern illinois and Southern Wisconsin. However, midwestern slopes have nothing on anything out west for the most part.

Best skiing in the Midwest is northern Minnesota, the western U.P., and right across the border from Sault Sainte Marie. All of these areas are between 6-10 hours from Chicago. At that point, just buy a plane ticket to Vail lol.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
No idea but id venture to say flat out no. NYC has Upstate and Vermont slopes ~3-4 hours away.

Chicago is a closer flight to Denver though.

Friend of mine in Central Jersey is currently debating this. Avid snowboarder, frequents Poconos a lot, and the shore in the summer. Thinking of just moving to Colorado cause the mountains on the East Coast are quite tame in comparison.
Well also as you said, Poconos is 70 miles from Manhattan, and even those I'd venture to say are better than Northern Michigan or Minnesota. You can just randomly go there one Saturday morning on a whim if you want. Big Pocono is 2100 feet elevation with an 800 foot vertical ski drop. To find a similar one you need to go up past Duluth to Lutsen, and that is 560 miles away from Chicago. There are smaller ski areas in Wausau and Lacrosse in Wisconsin but you are still looking at over a 4 hour drive, possibly more considering snow/road conditions. I know some people that go ski like 200 foot vertical drops though but it isn't that fun... I suppose it is technically "skiing" ...I'm sure you can go cross country skiing anywhere also. As lakal saying, the last time I went to the slopes I just flew to Denver, stayed with a friend and drove to Eagle/Vail, though I did more drinking than being on the slopes. Considering gas/timing... I think might be a better option, it will be more $ but worth it.

Last edited by grapico; 07-29-2013 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City