Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

I would take off Atlanta from the list, it doesn't strike me as somewhere to have a vacation, and it doesn't seem like there is a lot to do there, especially in comparison to the other cities listed.

My list:
NYC
LA
Honolulu
Juneau
Miami
Portland
Seattle
San Francisco
Washington, DC
Orlando
San Diego
Boston
Philadelphia
Chicago
New Orleans
Las Vegas

Scenic places:
Florida Keys
Hawaii (in general)
Big Sur
Yosemite
Florida and California beaches (it's a given that going to Hawaii you are going to the beach)
Yellowstone
Deep Creek Lake in Maryland
The Redwoods in California
Rocky Mountains
Sonoran Desert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Oh, I would also add Death Vallley and Grand Canyon

Old 07-19-2013, 11:18 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I would take off Atlanta from the list, it doesn't strike me as somewhere to have a vacation, and it doesn't seem like there is a lot to do there, especially in comparison to the other cities listed.
From a historical perspective relevent to national history, visting the MLK historical sites and neighborhood was pretty moving for me and gave me chills. Atlanta also has great food and VERY good nightlife. There is enough to do there to keep anyone busy.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 07-19-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
Who wants to tell me WHY I should see all these cities? I'm not a city person. I'd love to see NYC at least once just to see a completely different atmosphere than I'm used to but why should I visit all these cities and not quaint towns or natural wonders? This isn't meant to be snarky, I'm honestly wondering what is so special or unique about all these cities that I MUST see them.

For me, must see places in the US are more like

Washington DC - check
Everglades
Grand Canyon
Gettysburg
Glacier National Park - Check
Grand Teton National Park - Check
Yellowstone National Park - Check
Yosemite National Park
Blue Ridge Parkway - Check
New England Fall
Southern Utah parks region
Great Lakes - Check
Crater Lake
Volcanoes National Park - Check

Old 07-19-2013, 12:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
I would probably switch Atlanta with Houston but other then that pretty much agree.
Why? Atlanta offers more from a tourist perspective. If I had to pick just one Texas city to be on the list, it would probably be San Antonio.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:27 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
(Must see cities)
NYC
Chicago
DC
L.A.
Philadelphia
New Orleans

(Most see places)
Grand Canyon
Great Lakes
Lake Tahoe
Niagra Falls
Florida Everglades
Yosemite National Park
Yellow Stone National Park

Old 07-19-2013, 12:28 PM

798 posts, read 1,034,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post

My list:
NYC
LA
Honolulu
Juneau
Miami
Portland
Seattle
San Francisco
Washington, DC
Orlando
San Diego
Boston
Philadelphia
Chicago
New Orleans
Las Vegas

Scenic places:
Florida Keys
Hawaii (in general)
Big Sur
Yosemite
Florida and California beaches (it's a given that going to Hawaii you are going to the beach)
Yellowstone
Deep Creek Lake in Maryland
The Redwoods in California
Rocky Mountains
Sonoran Desert
I have to ask, why Juneau? Not trying to be mean or anything, but I've been therefore, and it's pretty cool, but it's not on the level of "cities you need to visit in America." I definitely wouldn't put it over Atlanta.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,160,922 times
My list of must-see cities:

NYC, LA and DC. On a level of international significance, I think these are places that stand out as each offers something very unique to the world.

I won't attempt a list of landmarks. I think they're all great and don't think I can claim any to be more cathartic or life-changing than the rest. (at least I'm not knowledgeable enough to do so)

Old 07-19-2013, 04:13 PM

367 posts, read 996,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
If I had to guess, I would say everybody should visit these cities at least once in their lifetime:

New York City
Los Angeles
San Francisco
Chicago
Philadelphia
Miami
Las Vegas
New Orleans
Washington DC
San Diego
Nashville
Boston
Seattle
Honolulu
Atlanta

Any I am leaving out or forgetting? Any that should be taken from the list? Tell me your thoughts and make your own!

Ahh Lets see I've been to
New York
Chicago
Miami
New Orleans
DC
Nashville
And Atlanta
...man I gotta get out more

(pity...i've never been to California ....i've been to Texas tho does that count?)

Old 07-19-2013, 05:41 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Top priority:
I love Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta, but they aren't cities to visit. They got some great attractions, but they're more cities to settle down in rather than visit for a few days. I'm also not sure what so important in Nashville or Seattle that they needs to be visited. They're great cities, but to visit? I think they're on the level of Minneapolis and San Diego: great, but not quite there.
Seattle is one of the most unique cities in North America. Very few cities are like it. You can go to Nature route and go hiking in the olympics, Skiing in the Cascades, and take a gorgeous train ride in the Mt. Rainier foothills. You can go whale watching on the sound, fishing, scuba diving, para-sailing. Spend a day downtown visiting Pike Place market, shopping, relaxing in the parks, going the the EMP, going to the top of the space needle, you can visit Blake Island and see a beautiful Native American show, Eat some of the world's best see food, relax and Alki Beach, there is alot to do in Seattle. Come visit sometime. You may not get many thrills, but definitely will have a pleasant and interesting time here. Very relaxing place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I have to ask, why Juneau? Not trying to be mean or anything, but I've been therefore, and it's pretty cool, but it's not on the level of "cities you need to visit in America." I definitely wouldn't put it over Atlanta.
Surrounded by natural beauty, You can take an Alaskan cruise to get there, on a breath taking setting. Some people prefer sight seeing and coming close to the power of nature then just visiting sights in the city like the Coca-Cola Museum and the Georgia Aquarium. I think that's the reason most people dont have Atlanta on a must see list. Not a bad place to stop through for a few days just not highly desirable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Ahh Lets see I've been to
New York
Chicago
Miami
New Orleans
DC
Nashville
And Atlanta
...man I gotta get out more

(pity...i've never been to California ....i've been to Texas tho does that count?)
No it doesn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City