U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 04:50 PM

20,235 posts, read 31,656,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Lol..Whats in Cincinatti?...Cincinnatti is not really known for nothing and really doesnt have a solid image in peoples mind like new Orleans or st louis....show me a picture of St Louis and say Louisville...I could point out St Louis INSTANTLY....but show me a pic of Cincinatti and Louisville...I couldnt tell you the differnece...and plus Cincinnatti has been losing population so that futher detracts from its image
I suggest another visit is in order for you. They both have riverfront skylines. That's about it when you compare these two. They look NOTHING alike.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM

549 posts, read 798,668 times
For those of you who are unfamiliar, here are some similarities.

They both have large, ornate historic districts that were built in unique architecture styles. French Quarter and Over-the-Rhine

French Quarter

Over-the-Rhine

They both have large boulevards separating their historic districts from their Central Business Districts. Canal St and Central Parkway

Central Parkway

Canal St

They're both important port cities on the river system. New Orleans connected the Gulf to the Rivers. Cincinnati Connected the Rivers to the Great Lakes.

They were both heavily influenced by their european immigrants who left plenty of cultural traditions and institutions. The French inspired food like Beignets and phrases like "Geaux Saints" and festivals like Mardi Gras. The Germans inspired food like Goetta and phrases like "Please?" and festivals like Bockfest and Oktoberfest.

Bockfest Parade

Mardi Gras Parade

They both have iconic buildings on large urban parks. St Louis Cathedral and Music Hall

St Louis Cathedral on Jackson Square

Music Hall on Washington Park

They both have important historic markets. French Market and Findlay Market

French Market

Findlay Market

I could continue with the similarities. There are many. I really don't understand where the gut reactions come from some people though. Having been to both cities countless times, I can tell you without question that they're more similar than different. Cincinnati just has a little more German flavor and New Orleans has a little more French flavor.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:16 PM

549 posts, read 798,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
New Orleans has a higher profile because it is a world-class party town, as opposed to Cincinnatii -- which isn't. The Mardis Gras has made NOLA famous world-wide. It is probably the most renowned street festival/parade/public celebrations in the entire country and one of the few such events non-U.S. citizens know about.

New Orleans also has a higher profile worldwide becuase of its history as the birthplace of jazz, one of America's biggest cultural exports. I mean everyone has heard of Louis Armstrong.

I suppose Cincinatti has Procter & Gamble. But Mr. Clean and Duracell just aren't as sexy as Mardi Gras!
This is a very good point. New Orleans is definitely more of a party city, while Cincinnati is more laid back. But the allure is still there. Drinking beer in a biergarten with a live band playing Appalachian folk on an accordion is a Cincinnati institution. It's certainly a cultural delight that many are missing out on.

I think Cincinnati is more known for Baseball than P&G. Opening Day in Cincinnati is really an exciting day. People take off school to go to the Opening Day parade, walk down to the ballpark and ring in the start of summer. Bockfest is just as much of a party as Mardi Gras, it's just not known globally the way Mardi Gras is. Bockfest is the celebration of the coming of Spring. Every year, a goat pulls the ceremonial first keg of Bock beer leading the parade to Bockfest Hall followed by the reigning Sausage Queen and various other drunken debaucheries. The keg is blessed and tapped by Brother Tim of St Francis Seraph. This is followed by a weekend of heavy drinking and partying at and around Bockfest Hall.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:40 PM

800 posts, read 746,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Lol..Whats in Cincinatti?...Cincinnatti is not really known for nothing and really doesnt have a solid image in peoples mind like new Orleans or st louis....show me a picture of St Louis and say Louisville...I could point out St Louis INSTANTLY....but show me a pic of Cincinatti and Louisville...I couldnt tell you the differnece...and plus Cincinnatti has been losing population so that futher detracts from its image

I think I drove through Cincinatti one time when I was a little kid on the way to Detroit ....but that was back in the 90's so I kinda forget

Cincinnatti needs to build a super bad World class Monument or tourist attraction or have a wild annual festival....or come up with a specialized food like Maybe Cincinnati BBQ...(opps no Memphis already has that title) Umm Maybe Cincinatti Lasagna or World Famous Cincinatti Popcorn or something ....it needs to do one of these things to get an Image for its self

If all else fails heck jus find a big street and throw a bunch a clubs that stay open all night and let women raise their shirts for beads and free alcohol like Bourbon Street and Beale Street lol

In your post...you talk like your from Ohio by saying things like The Rhine district..and Cinninatti has awesome archticture....you should take your self out of an OHIOIAN mindset and view Cincinatti as if you were from somewhere else to see why Cincinnatti isn't compared to places like New Orleans....The Rhine District you mention may be nice to YOU and folks in Ohio...but do you think people in Oregón or Texas ever heard of the Rhine District...do you think People in New York care about Cincinnatti Architecture.....I can tell you one thing,...I have never heard of the Rhine Historic district and Nobody in Nashville is saying Gosh Yall...look at all dem pretty buildings in Cincinatti

If you werent from Ohio...would you care about Cincinatti?.......for what its worth tho im sure if I was there I would enjoy myself

This is probably the most ignorant post I've ever read on CD...and that's saying something.

First it's CINCINNATI. In addition Cincinnati is a way bigger city than Louisville

Secondly, Cincinnati has:

It's own chili which is completely unique and not found in any other city besides Cincinnati (Skyline has expanded to Louisville, Lexington, Indy, and Columbus however). Skyline Chili makes more revenue (easily) than any BBQ place in Memphis.

The nation's first professional baseball team the Cincinnati Reds a team that has won more world series than Memphis', Nashville's, and New Orleans' combined .

Cincinnati has produced more US Presidents than any other US city (William Henry Harrison, Ulysses S. Grant, Rutherford B. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison, and William Howard Taft all were either born in or lived in Cincinnati during the height of their political careers)

Best HS football in the nation according to Max Preps, ESPN, SI. Cincinnati Moeller HS has more All-Americans than any other HS in the country in addition to 5 national championships.

This is just the shortlist.

Don't worry no one in Cincinnati is thinking about how amazing Nashville's architecture is either because, well, it isn't.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:55 PM

23,121 posts, read 41,322,865 times
Been to both many times.To me New Orleans has an undeniable charm that I've never found in Cincinnati. In fairness, I feel I need an opportunity to explore the latter a bit more.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,669,764 times
I’ve been to Cincinnati a few times and don’t really see them as the same visually. Cincinnati is pretty hilly and New Orleans is basically a soup bowl. New Orleans not only has the Mississippi but it is also situated on a huge lake call Lake Pontchartrain. Not to mention the Gulf of Mexico is just a short ride down south. The weather is also very different on average.

Yes the the cities have a few similarities but think that is outweighed by the differences. Cincinnati has more in common with a city like St Louis than New Orleans. Cincy is a neat city but vastly different from New Orleans IMHO.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,517,970 times
"Why is New Orleans highly regarded globally and Cincinnati barely on people's radars?"

???????

Probably because Cincinnati is a bit of a bore, and New Orleans definitely is not....

Old 07-19-2013, 08:28 PM

2,050 posts, read 3,517,970 times
Before anyone from Cincy jumps all over my junk, here, let me explain....

I've been to New Orleans many times... No idea how many, but WELL over 15 times.
Why????????? Because there's ALWAYS a reason to go back. All it took was once, and I know I have to return a second time, and a third time, and so on...

Now... I've been to Cincinnati twice. Yes, only twice.
In MY opinion, I wasn't impressed and I was pretty bored. Maybe I need to explore it a lot more, HOWEVER that's the point. I didn't NEED to do that in NOLA. After my first visit to Cincy, I honestly didn't know why I'd ever return.
If not for family reasons, I probably would not have made it back for a second visit.
Maybe one day I'll check it out, but I'm in no rush what-so-ever... Just didn't have that appeal.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:53 PM

4,059 posts, read 6,884,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Secondly, Cincinnati has:

It's own chili which is completely unique and not found in any other city besides Cincinnati (Skyline has expanded to Louisville, Lexington, Indy, and Columbus however).
Skyline Chili has also expanded to other parts of Ohio, including Cleveland and Toledo. And even Florida.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:03 PM

16,025 posts, read 24,319,281 times
Cincy does look like it could be a great midwestern city in the future if it can make a comeback but this thread is pretty obvious. It's a good topic to discuss though, some of the posts here are unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I’ve been to Cincinnati a few times and don’t really see them as the same visually. Cincinnati is pretty hilly and New Orleans is basically a soup bowl. New Orleans not only has the Mississippi but it is also situated on a huge lake call Lake Pontchartrain. Not to mention the Gulf of Mexico is just a short ride down south. The weather is also very different on average.

Yes the the cities have a few similarities but think that is outweighed by the differences. Cincinnati has more in common with a city like St Louis than New Orleans. Cincy is a neat city but vastly different from New Orleans IMHO.
The Gulf is about 2 hours south of New Orleans. There are no straight roads there. Venice is the farthest south town that exists and it still is miles away from the actual Gulf. Grand Isle is right on the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.