U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 11:11 PM

5,302 posts, read 9,652,371 times

Advertisements

Never been to Cincinatti, but I would like to see it. From what I've read, it looks interesting enough, but there's something about New Orleans that caters more to people. The marshes and subtropical landscape, with all the palm trees, live oaks draped in Spanish moss, and banana trees growing all over Jackson Square and in neighborhoods, plus the warmer weather, attracts a lot of people to it. It's also a party town with great nightlife and is known all over the world for it's European charm/architecture and delicious food. The people are nice, and even though it has some suburbs that sprawl away, it's easy to get around town without a car (take public transit or walk around the city). It's been called the "Perfect Imperfect" using some Japanese phrase I can't recall. But New Orleans has charm, and while it may not be a world-class city in the same sense as LA, it is a world-class vacation destination. The thing is, it is a party town, but not like somewhere perhaps where that is the only thing to do (Las Vegas) or where there can be unfriendly, plastic people (Miami Beach): it has lots of culture. Now I don't know about Cincinatti, and it may have great food, be very easy to get around in, have friendly people, and be just as laid-back as New Orleans, but the lack of nightlife there and colder weather may turn people away from it. Also, more people tend to flock to the coastal cities: New Orleans is close to many nice Gulf beaches, so people stay in New Orleans for a few days before heading to those relaxing resort areas.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2013, 11:27 PM

367 posts, read 940,569 times
I just want to clarify that I have nothing against Cincinnatti...I just stated earlier that Cincinnatti doesnt have a definitive image especially to people outside the area....but that doesnt mean Cincinnatti isnt a good city

Any city that reaches 2 million people and among other things 2 professional sports teams has to have something good about it

Last edited by SteveTime; 07-19-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 12:02 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,902,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor_Nado View Post
I think Cincinnati's race riots (and racial tensions) have much to do with it.
lol, pretty much every city has had at least 1 race riot.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:04 AM

3,719 posts, read 6,902,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTime View Post
Lol..Whats in Cincinatti?...Cincinnatti is not really known for nothing and really doesnt have a solid image in peoples mind like new Orleans or st louis....show me a picture of St Louis and say Louisville...I could point out St Louis INSTANTLY....but show me a pic of Cincinatti and Louisville...I couldnt tell you the differnece...and plus Cincinnatti has been losing population so that futher detracts from its image

I think I drove through Cincinatti one time when I was a little kid on the way to Detroit ....but that was back in the 90's so I kinda forget

Cincinnatti needs to build a super bad World class Monument or tourist attraction or have a wild annual festival....or come up with a specialized food like Maybe Cincinnati BBQ...(opps no Memphis already has that title) Umm Maybe Cincinatti Lasagna or World Famous Cincinatti Popcorn or something ....it needs to do one of these things to get an Image for its self

If all else fails heck jus find a big street and throw a bunch a clubs that stay open all night and let women raise their shirts for beads and free alcohol like Bourbon Street and Beale Street lol

In your post...you talk like your from Ohio by saying things like The Rhine district..and Cinninatti has awesome archticture....you should take your self out of an OHIOIAN mindset and view Cincinatti as if you were from somewhere else to see why Cincinnatti isn't compared to places like New Orleans....The Rhine District you mention may be nice to YOU and folks in Ohio...but do you think people in Oregón or Texas ever heard of the Rhine District...do you think People in New York care about Cincinnatti Architecture.....I can tell you one thing,...I have never heard of the Rhine Historic district and Nobody in Nashville is saying Gosh Yall...look at all dem pretty buildings in Cincinatti

If you werent from Ohio...would you care about Cincinatti?.......for what its worth tho im sure if I was there I would enjoy myself
After reading this post by you, you seriously just need to get banned from city data.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:13 AM

6,212 posts, read 10,712,109 times
Cinncinatti is next on my list of American cities to visit - seriously. Well a loop including Louisville, Cincy and Lexington to be exact. I really enjoyed my visit to Pgh - I like the old architecture and rust belt chic. So destination recommendations would be appreciated. Yes I have heard of over the Rhine and that is already on my list but specific streets would be helpful.

But I agree - NO has the party vibe PLUS the architecture. It's like nowhere else in the US.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:20 PM

3,248 posts, read 8,699,194 times
You guys gave us Doris Day and Pete Rose

Old 07-20-2013, 02:53 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,818,612 times
I never thought of New Orleans being highly regarded globally. I mean do they even have a flight to Europe or any other international destination besides Canada or Mexico which just about any medium sized city has service to?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:01 PM

16,030 posts, read 24,332,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I never thought of New Orleans being highly regarded globally. I mean do they even have a flight to Europe or any other international destination besides Canada or Mexico which just about any medium sized city has service to?
I think there are some to South America. It's hard to get direct international flights with ATL and DFW near, plus there isn't a huge business climate here.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:08 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,818,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I think there are some to South America. It's hard to get direct international flights with ATL and DFW near, plus there isn't a huge business climate here.
Those two cities are quite a ways from New Orleans. But I agree the business climate in the city is small. Still as far as uniqueness and leaving a positive lasting impression for the visitor New Orleans destroys Cincy.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:10 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,020,161 times
America's old river brick cities like St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh have a gang of potential, but the big thing they lack is a coherent cultural package. New Orleans is not just known for the historic French Quarter. It's known for Mardi Gras, Jazz, Creole culture, streetcars, Voodoo, Cajun culture, the "Bayou", so despite it struggling from a socioeconomic standpoint it has capitalized greatly from being a cultural mecca. The old river cities have similar, maybe even more rustic charm than New Orleans, but they haven't packaged their culture in a meaningful way. Personally, I think Pittsburgh is doing the best job establishing itself economically and is a little further ahead in the process. From a culture standpoint St. Louis may be the furthest ahead in exploiting cultural resources with things like the establishment of the National Blues Museum, revamping are biggest tourist trap in the Arch Grounds, the Ballpark Village project currently underway near Busch Stadium. Cincinnati still kind of draws a blank and I agree that I wouldn't know about Over the Rhine if I hadn't been on this forum and later visited the city.

All of these cities have great local cultures, but are at least a solid generation away from creating a solid national narrative that separated from rust belt river city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.