U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:46 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,818,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
But still, there is a global draw to New Orleans, which is renowned around the world for the music and food. Sure it isn't a world-class city like Miami or Chicago, but it is a world-class vacation destination. People from overseas just take flights that have stops in other cities.
I think you are missing the point. If New Orleans was such a global draw you would have foreign carriers flying in from major foreign destinations.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-20-2013, 09:51 PM

5,302 posts, read 9,652,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I think you are missing the point. If New Orleans was such a global draw you would have foreign carriers flying in from major foreign destinations.
What about San Diego? Lots of people around the world want to visit there. But the only overseas flights offered are to Japan and England. Of course, it is expanding, and I expect New Orleans' airport to do the same, but I disagree. Just because it doesn't offer many straight nonstop flights from other cities does not mean that people from around the world don't fly in with a stop to see it.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
What about San Diego? Lots of people around the world want to visit there. But the only overseas flights offered are to Japan and England. Of course, it is expanding, and I expect New Orleans' airport to do the same, but I disagree. Just because it doesn't offer many straight nonstop flights from other cities does not mean that people from around the world don't fly in with a stop to see it.
Well obviously there are some international visitors but using the term "Global" is extreme. A global city is how connected that city is to the rest of the world and I'm sorry but only having a flight to Toronto ends this debate. You'll find international visitors in most cities in the US of New Orleans size but I wouldn't go as far to call the locations "Global".

I think the better term is international recognition if that is what the OP is trying to debate.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 PM

4,059 posts, read 6,886,496 times
Quote:
Those two cities are quite a ways from New Orleans. But I agree the business climate in the city is small. Still as far as uniqueness and leaving a positive lasting impression for the visitor New Orleans destroys Cincy.
I like Cincinnati and its architecture and hills and other scenery, but the last time I was there, the place seemed really dead.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:23 AM

865 posts, read 1,398,819 times
Quote:
That trend could change now that Delta has pulled out of CVG. Being de-hubbed will have some impact on future growth.
That was over 6 years ago...

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 AM

173 posts, read 281,393 times
Why would Cincinnati be on high profile?

Old 07-21-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinciFan View Post
That was over 6 years ago...

Right and Chiquita pulled up stakes and dumped Cincy for Charlotte for that very reason.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:15 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,723,351 times
Quote:
Right and Chiquita pulled up stakes and dumped Cincy for Charlotte for that very reason.
^ Not the whole story... Although CVG's downsizing was a factor in Chiquita's move to Charlotte, that was only part of the picture. First, Chiquita's top management (transplanted from NYC via a buyout by a Cincinnati financier) never wanted to be in the city to begin with; second, they wanted to be nearer their Latin-American vendors; and third, Charlotte bribed them handsomely to make their move, more so than Cincinnati was willing to bribe them to stay. Today, Chiquita's still experiencing major problems and its relationship with Charlotte isn't a comfortable one.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:21 PM

1,907 posts, read 1,842,354 times
"How can New Orleans be more internationally recognized than ... Cincinnati?" "How can Charleston have more prestige than... Chattanooga?" "Why do people like Savannah more than... Fayetteville?" "Why do people want to visit New York more than... St. Louis?"

City Data has lots of threads like these. Some posters might want to remember that we do live on Earth. Remember Earth? The planet with an atmosphere and one moon? The one in which French fries are generally considered more fun than saltines? That Earth?

New Orleans: one of the prettiest and most historic cities in N. America, with perhaps the best food in the country (not just fancy restaurants where you pay $250 + wine and tip, but can shop in real food shops, bakeries, cafes, and get a nice po-boy on almost every block.

Cincinnati: a bland Middle American city on the border of the Middle West and South, with Midwestern charm and Southern social progress. You come to Cincinnati if you want to work for P&G and to contemplate the city's "enormous potential" over a plate of sausages or a tub of hot wings.

Come back to Earth, folks. Please.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:44 PM

3,248 posts, read 8,699,194 times
New Orleans is making a big comeback!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.