Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times

Advertisements

The beaches are in Alabama. The waters in Mississippi are brown.
Tourism is down by numbers but is steadily increasing. Population did shift away but it's one of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Motorman, you can't chose to become a city like New Orleans. It happens organically. So no, Cincinnati could never rival New Orleans in any of those chosen categories. New York didn't become New York because it wanted to, it happened organically. Same with every other great city in the world.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM

29 posts, read 33,040 times
I wish the moderator would shut this down.

MountainDew...just to sink the point in....You say there is no point and no one is going to any of these major cities in the Midwest, and that Columbia is not isolated but ideally located in the ever-expanding, clean SC. First of all, when was the last time I've even heard of anyone going to, living in, or even mentioning Columbia? I'm guessing a lot of people don't even know what state it's in. Talk about not being on anyone's radar. Not even up for discussion. Regardless of its incredible 2,3,4 hour drive proximity to....Charleston (an ok small beach town), Wilmington (where's that? oh wait, who cares?), Asheville (talk about isolated by mountains...?), Charlotte (very similar city to Cincy). Like you said about Midwest cities, I would never go to any of these unless I had family or friends live there (which is the only reason I've been to Charlotte and Asheville).

Just do a search on city data for all the "Columbia versus..." threads. You can hardly find any. I tried to find some examples to post here for you so you can go to a Columbia page and argue these points elsewhere on an actual relevant thread, but I only found Columbia vs Chatanooga after a quick look. Yawn. I'm sure they are nice towns, but no one is dying to live there, vacation there, or discuss their current progress. Except for locals. It's just not up for discussion. Off the radar, as you like to say. Now try again for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Chicago, Indy and your findings will drastically change. Now there starts to be a conversation. Sorry if that upsets you, as it seems it clearly does as it has been jab after jab after jab at the midwest from you, but maybe the hard truth is the best medicine.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM

::end of my argument:: ::done::

Old 07-29-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Thanks, globetrotter12 (along with midwest1, CincyIU29, and the moderator) for reorienting this thread back to its initial focus.

As pointed out by knowledgeable posters, NOLA wins hands down in any entertainment-oriented comparison between it and Cincinnati--and for obvious reasons. NOLA's notoriety doesn't dominate in any one category alone, but because NOLA has blended numerous disparate historical elements of its past into a magical, mystical whole, and tied them all altogether with the lure of unadulterated adult pleasure it wins hands-down. Other than Las Vegas, no other American city promises what NOLA does in adult pleasure concentrated into such a centered space.

Please forget all your misconceptions about: "French Quarter architecture, Creole cooking, Cajun lore, Superdome, Mardi Gras, Mississippi River, Jackson Square, jazz, Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra, above-ground graveyards, blues, StreetcarNamedDesire Tennessee Williams/Vivian Leigh Marlon Brando French-speaking Spanish-bred fantasies that you may innately harbor--believing that anyone of them alone generates NOLA's mystique. None of them do, but a combination of these essential fanciful elements create the NOLA all of us so admire and crave in our dark, little primate hearts. (When in NOLA, we become willing victims, all.)

In turn ( far upriver) Cincinnati's own colorful, inglorious history has taken major bends that have curtailed any such present-day aspirations--but as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread (including my own posts)-- today, if Cincinnati HAD SO CHOSEN TO RIVAL NOLA in notoriety, glamor, cuisine, and sleaze, it could have done so...namely because it's already done so and found the formula workable.

But, as globetrotter12 has already succinctly pointed out, Cincinnati no longer wills to do so; after all, the city's now a respectable "corporate-city" which must please a blue-collar establishment and not offend a blue-nosed suburbanite outer-rim. Most assuredly, inner-city urbane-tastes might desire to cater to Type-A male high rollers who come rolling into town looking for excitement--like in a re-invented Gomorrah/Toyland/Pleasure Palace such NEWPORT, KENTUCKY. (just think watching Disney's "Pinocchio" or its remake,the Kubrich/Spielberg fantasy "AI," Cincinnati-style, then you'll get the picture.)

When the Tri-State's very own delightfully debauched, adult playground collapsed in 1961-62, I was only a high-school student in my teens; had I been years older and a well-heeled Pinocchio accompanied by a few Lampwick pals, I would have jettisoned Geppetto and Tiny Tim both, and focused on all the pleasures (especially female) that this sinfully-wicked Cincinnati Paradise provided. No questions asked, one's personal pleasure determining one's own tastes. Such a place was Newport in relation to Cincinnati and, if you were a young lad like me, you would have succumbed to the same.

Right this moment, the one essential element lacking in Cincinnati's will is to allow for all it once was-- "De Wallen" or the "Reeperbahn," but connected to a more genteel and protected Queen City, via bus, streetcar, and speedboat. It's all possible, you know, but also all so naughty, lewd, and forbidden. Neither national, state nor suburban mindsets have the stomach for this kind of common-day Germanic entertainment, yet they flock to Louisiana for same--doesn't make sense, does it? But, then again, this is only a dimwitted internet-forum and only a very few of you are expected to understand.
Sorry to have posted yet again in response to Dew right after this great, on-topic post of yours and circle back to the negativity. I was typing it at the time you posted this. But, great thoughts - you hit the nail on the head.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:40 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
Why is this thread still open? It was never that great per say but the minute people let Dew take over with his mindless rambling, worth a smile for half a second, it was past done. You've all been trolled...

Old 07-29-2013, 05:53 PM

245 posts, read 318,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globetrotter12 View Post
I wish the moderator would shut this down.

MountainDew...just to sink the point in....You say there is no point and no one is going to any of these major cities in the Midwest, and that Columbia is not isolated but ideally located in the ever-expanding, clean SC. First of all, when was the last time I've even heard of anyone going to, living in, or even mentioning Columbia? I'm guessing a lot of people don't even know what state it's in. Talk about not being on anyone's radar. Not even up for discussion. Regardless of its incredible 2,3,4 hour drive proximity to....Charleston (an ok small beach town), Wilmington (where's that? oh wait, who cares?), Asheville (talk about isolated by mountains...?), Charlotte (very similar city to Cincy). Like you said about Midwest cities, I would never go to any of these unless I had family or friends live there (which is the only reason I've been to Charlotte and Asheville).

Just do a search on city data for all the "Columbia versus..." threads. You can hardly find any. I tried to find some examples to post here for you so you can go to a Columbia page and argue these points elsewhere on an actual relevant thread, but I only found Columbia vs Chatanooga after a quick look. Yawn. I'm sure they are nice towns, but no one is dying to live there, vacation there, or discuss their current progress. Except for locals. It's just not up for discussion. Off the radar, as you like to say. Now try again for Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Chicago, Indy and your findings will drastically change. Now there starts to be a conversation. Sorry if that upsets you, as it seems it clearly does as it has been jab after jab after jab at the midwest from you, but maybe the hard truth is the best medicine.
people are moving in droves to retire to Columbia, Charleston / Mount Pleasant, Greenville (affordable alternative to Asheville NC 45 minutes up the road), Wilmington (county south of Wilmington one of the fastest growing in the country), etc. Think most people rather live in all these places than Cincy on weather alone and close to the beach. all these towns are growing, and the SC forums are extremely active on here, especially Greenville. SC has tons of tourism, probably most in country outside of Florida and California. You ever heard of Myrtle Beach? I really can't believe you think Cincy is better than Charleston. Cincy only wins for pro sports teams but i don't care about that.

People are leaving Cincinnati. Maybe some of them are just going to northern Kentucky, I am not sure if they are talking about the city or the metro. I think your thing about really only locals like Carolinas is probably more true about Cincy. I think there are some people up North who hold a lot of stereotypes about the Southeast that are stale and warmed over and not accurate at all.

I don't have a problem with Cincy. it has some good employers, i just don't care for cold dreary winters with snow and it is a bit landlocked for me. i feel the same about Atlanta, not sure why people get so emotional about this. i've said to each his own several times. maybe that is southern slang?

all i was doing was trying to back up my point that Cincy being on the other side of West Virginia's big mountains might be a reason it is not well known b/c travelers from other countreis typically going to fly into NYC or LAX or other coastal cities and Cincy isn't really on the way anywhere. Coastal cities tend to be more well known. I bet more people, espeically Brits, have heard of Charleston than Cincy because Charleston was an important city in the Amreican Revolution

If New Orleans was the same city but located where Cincy is, it wouldn't be on the radar in my view. the location / weather has some role in this matter.

Last edited by MountainDew2013; 07-29-2013 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
people are moving in droves to retire to Columbia, Charleston / Mount Pleasant, Greenville (affordable alternative to Asheville NC 45 minutes up the road), Wilmington (county south of Wilmington one of the fastest growing in the country), etc. Think most people rather live in all these places than Cincy on weather alone and close to the beach. all these towns are growing, and the SC forums are extremely active on here, especially Greenville. SC has tons of tourism, probably most in country outside of Florida and California. You ever heard of Myrtle Beach? I really can't believe you think Cincy is better than Charleston. LOL

People are leaving Cincinnati. I think your thing about locals only like Cincy is probably more true about Cincy than anywhere in the Carolinas.

If New Orleans was the same city but located where Cincy is, it wouldn't be on the radar in my view.
You have some intense insecurities dude, calm... Why is this thread now, "please talk about the Carolinas!"???

Old 07-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
You have some intense insecurities dude, calm... Why is this thread now, "please talk about the Carolinas!"???
it isn't talk about Carolinas, I just respond to what you guys say about it. All I did is make a point using the Carolinas to try to back up my theory that Cincy is isolated, and you guys started making it Cincy / Ohio vs Carolinas. I don't see what the problem is with some natural conversation drift from the original topic as the original topic has problably been worn out after numerous pages on here, and nobody is being forced to read this thread or post on it. I have talked about Cincy's lack of international reputation throughout though so I haven't been off topic but rather just added a side topic that was seized upon by Cincy boosters. I am sure my perspective on Cincy's isolation is based on the fact I grew up in the Carolinas and to me it is the center of the world. LOL

My opinion is non-binding.

Last edited by MountainDew2013; 07-29-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew2013 View Post
it isn't talk about Carolinas, I just respond to what you guys say about it. All I did is make a point using the Carolinas to try to back up my theory that Cincy is isolated, and you guys started making it Cincy / Ohio vs Carolinas. I don't see what the problem is with some natural conversation drift from the original topic as the original topic has problably been worn out after numerous pages on here, and nobody is being forced to read this thread or post on it. I have talked about Cincy's lack of international reputation throughout though so I haven't been off topic but rather just added a side topic that was seized upon by Cincy boosters.

My opinion is non-binding.
"You guys"? I'm not a part of some group on here, I'm a single poster and I have nothing to do with the Cincy posters. I came to read about N.O and Cincy, your derailment about isolation is as ridiculous as it is off-topic (have you ever looked at a map of the US? You think Cincy is isolated?). If you want to talk about it, fine, create a thread for it! Do one for the international reputation of S. Carolina while you're at it so you gain a little perspective on things...

Old 07-29-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
"You guys"? I'm not a part of some group on here, I'm a single poster and I have nothing to do with the Cincy posters. I came to read about N.O and Cincy, your derailment about isolation is as ridiculous as it is off-topic (have you ever looked at a map of the US? You think Cincy is isolated?). If you want to talk about it, fine, create a thread for it! Do one for the international reputation of S. Carolina while you're at it so you gain a little perspective on things...
well report me to the moderator if you got a problem with me. you and others probably been doing that anyway. I think your posts complaining about my posts are the ones off topic and not adding anything at all as I have consistently been talking about factors that might contribute to Cincy's lack of international recognition.

this will be my last post on this topic, i only posted on here b/c it seemed an odd topic and comparison and I have been to both cities in the past 30 months.

i think asserting Cincy has some isolation from east coast areas is dead on topic if we are trying to answer the OP's original question why it is not well known city on international basis. You just don't agree with, and seem kind of emotional about it for no rational reason. my goal was not to offend and i have praised Cincy numerous times. it doesn't seem like you would think Cincy would be well know if they are actually losing population b/c cities like that aren't getting much buzz. maybe it is just Cincy doesn't do a good job promoting itself.

If Cincy Bengals were consistently cranking out good football teams every year like the Steelers, it would help them a lot like Steelers have helped Pittsburgh get some recognition. but they play in Pittsburgh division and Baltimore tends to be the 2nd best team in it most years.

Last edited by MountainDew2013; 07-29-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City