Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyscraper do you consider the tallest?
One World Trade Center 34 40.96%
Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower) 49 59.04%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:33 PM

541 posts, read 907,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Official or not the symbolism will remain

I dont always agree with Jerseygirl but on her points and post I am complete agreement

In the years following 911 there was always a void in lower Manhattan, when the new freedom tower began to rsie it personally made me happy to see the rising of the nw symbolic structure, literally the hairs on my neck stuck with my fist glance which was from the NJ Turnpike as it rose out from lower Manhattan. When it becaome visually more impressive than the tallest in JC even more of a great feeling

Well you will have to excuse me as I am not one to be spoonfed from my government about tacky heights and symbols, especially regarding fairly recent developments. This building was full of controversy and legal wrangling all while other cities surpassed in heights.

The original towers should have been rebuilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM

173 posts, read 295,012 times
The new World Trade Center holds a bigger meaning to our country than the Sears Tower.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,293,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calilovin View Post
The new World Trade Center holds a bigger meaning to our country than the Sears Tower.
Wow, thanks for stating the obvious!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:38 PM

364 posts, read 615,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Here's a video I found regarding the Post Office tower proposal. Chicago's next tallest? We'll see

This was approved last week in Chicago.

A 1000 footer, another 1000 footer and a 2000 footer is all in the project.

Also, there is two hotels in the project. The first is 120 stories (approx 800 feet). Hotel two is 60 stories (approx 600 feet).

There is 2-4 other building listed in the project too but without heights. They are estimated 400-600 feet.

Also, the largest indoor mall in North America is in the project. This indoor mall Is expected to pass king of Prussia, mall of America or anything else in our country in terms of size.

Everything is suppose to be done by 2024!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:44 PM

886 posts, read 1,555,726 times
2K tower in Chicago?

Huh, where did this come from?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:52 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,875,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Official or not the symbolism will remain

I dont always agree with Jerseygirl but on her points and post I am in complete agreement

In the years following 911 there was always a void in lower Manhattan, when the new freedom tower began to rise it personally made me happy to see the rising of the new symbolic structure, literally the hairs on my neck stuck out with my fist glance which was from the NJ Turnpike as it rose out from lower Manhattan. When it became visually more impressive than the tallest in JC tower even more of a great feeling. This tower is more than tall IMHO. And seeing it rising from the WTC memorial was quite impressive. I lost friends that day and had my personal experiences including being up in the air and driving back from Boston that afternoon to Philly - Seeing the huge bellowing smoke clouds from all the way out on 287, lets just say I hope i something I will never see again
Thanks!

Exactly. It's hard for anyone not from the area (don't know where I Enjoy Beer is from, I'm just saying in general) to understand the pain and feelings of those in and around New York about 9/11 and the WTC, especially if you were nearby or there that day. The system of rebuilding the WTC site has gone through so much change, so many setbacks, so much drama and controversy that it's nice to finally see a finished product, with a building that DOES symbolize and respect everything that happened, no matter what, spire or not. And i personally think they did a great job. There were many proposals for a new building/site setup, some of them absolutely crazy, and this whole plan was honestly one of the best and most respectful.

As for rebuilding the original two, IMO that would not have been appropriate. I love the Memorial and I am excited for the Museum and I think those plans with 1 WTC beside it are much better than rebuilding the twin towers as if nothing ever happened. I, too, know people that died (my town lost 6) and I don't think any of their families would have liked it we just decided to build them again.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,877,204 times
I remember about 8 years ago I went and saw Click in the theaters on opening day, starring Adam Sandler and being as I was a very big skyscraper fanatic at the time, this picture from a scene in the movie caught my attention.

I liked the idea of the resurrection of newer, taller, Twin Towers to replace the fallen towers that were there before. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't want to pursue that design but in the end 2 and 3 World Trade Center towers look even better than 1 World Trade Center in my opinion.

Overall though, I'm going with the Sears Tower, what I really like about it is it's dark architecture. Especially if seen from the panels of John Hancock from the Signature Room at night, those two antennas look intimidating and the design where it swivels in rotation and height is pretty awesome. Unfortunately with the completion of Trump (which by design somewhat reminds me of Sears), the Sears Tower went from my personal favorite to second place.

As for skylines themselves, including the two buildings being discussed here, I vastly prefer Chicago's during the day and New York's at night. I am not so keen on the tannish and brownish look of some of the older buildings, especially those in Lower Manhattan, during the day. They contrast heavily with the newer, shinier, taller towers and it's a case of color mismatch if you see the Lower Manhattan especially from a boat on the Hudson. Where as Chicago's skyline at night, while lit up, looks great but most buildings are dark in color and for those without perfect far sighted vision, it can become troublesome to make out the buildings in the dark hours even with lights on sometimes.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM

229 posts, read 466,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
This was approved last week in Chicago.

A 1000 footer, another 1000 footer and a 2000 footer is all in the project.

Also, there is two hotels in the project. The first is 120 stories (approx 800 feet). Hotel two is 60 stories (approx 600 feet).

There is 2-4 other building listed in the project too but without heights. They are estimated 400-600 feet.

Also, the largest indoor mall in North America is in the project. This indoor mall Is expected to pass king of Prussia, mall of America or anything else in our country in terms of size.

Everything is suppose to be done by 2024!
I highly doubt the 2000 ft tower and one of the 1000 ft towers will ever be constructed at least for this project, I just don't see it happening.

But I could be wrong, I hope i am.

Fortunately the rest of the project really is something to rave about nonetheless.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,350,451 times
I prefer the design of WTC 1 (wish they had made a twin next to it) but come on now, Willis Tower is clearly the taller building.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 AM

229 posts, read 466,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
I remember about 8 years ago I went and saw Click in the theaters on opening day, starring Adam Sandler and being as I was a very big skyscraper fanatic at the time, this picture from a scene in the movie caught my attention.

I liked the idea of the resurrection of newer, taller, Twin Towers to replace the fallen towers that were there before. I was a bit disappointed that they didn't want to pursue that design but in the end 2 and 3 World Trade Center towers look even better than 1 World Trade Center in my opinion.

Overall though, I'm going with the Sears Tower, what I really like about it is it's dark architecture. Especially if seen from the panels of John Hancock from the Signature Room at night, those two antennas look intimidating and the design where it swivels in rotation and height is pretty awesome. Unfortunately with the completion of Trump (which by design somewhat reminds me of Sears), the Sears Tower went from my personal favorite to second place.

As for skylines themselves, including the two buildings being discussed here, I vastly prefer Chicago's during the day and New York's at night. I am not so keen on the tannish and brownish look of some of the older buildings, especially those in Lower Manhattan, during the day. They contrast heavily with the newer, shinier, taller towers and it's a case of color mismatch if you see the Lower Manhattan especially from a boat on the Hudson. Where as Chicago's skyline at night, while lit up, looks great but most buildings are dark in color and for those without perfect far sighted vision, it can become troublesome to make out the buildings in the dark hours even with lights on sometimes.
Nothing will beat the View of the original Twin Towers at night from the Brooklyn bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City