Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Austin 71 72.45%
Columbus 27 27.55%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 12:32 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Downtown Columbus is getting a gorgeous, contemporary designed mixed residential / retail complex adjacent to the ever popular Columbus Commons Park! Things are starting to change rapidly in Ohio's capital city ... positive changes!

$50 million apartment-office building planned near Columbus Commons | The Columbus Dispatch
I always thought this lot was a prime location. I love how Columbus finds ways to fill in small lots with density. I just don't see that as much in Texas. They seem to bull doze a whole block to build something down here. I am looking forward to coming home to Columbus for Christmas to check things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 01:46 PM

222 posts, read 578,809 times
Downtown: 4.5
Food: 6.0
Culture:7.0
Nightlife: 4.5
Diversity: 8.5
Capitol Building: 5.5
Economy: 6.0
Universities 7.0
This is how I would grade Columbus Ohio if Austin could score higher than I would choose Austin, If not Columbus is better. I give Columbus very high rating when it comes to food due to Diversity. I also give Columbus a High advantage when it comes to Diversity because it has just about every race here, the numbers are not so overwhelming like Toronto and NYC but who could compare to those two cities. And dont try and quote me on Toronto cause if you knew anything about it you would know it has one of the largest percentage of foreign born next to Miami but a more diverse foreign born culture. But back to the subject Columbus has about 20,000 ghanians alone, about 25,000 somalians and a large Indian, Asian and Hispanic(Dominicans/Mexicans) population. Anyway If Austin comes close then the edge goes to Austin if not Columbus wins simple as that. I give it a 7.0 in culture not just because solely based on it is diversity but because it does has cultural festivals, but if you go by cultural events alone Columbus is a 4.0.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 PM

224 posts, read 297,031 times
Sorry for coming to this thread late.

But this is my experience with both of these cities as I have lived in both.

Austin:

Cons:
1.Traffic - people drive really slow here compared to Columbus. I mean the speed limit is 70 mph and people will be doing 60 mph with no one in front of them. The Highway system here is very poorly designed which I believe induces traffic jams. Lack of highways.

2. Expensive Toll roads

3. Cost of living is extremely high

4. Sales tax on groceries

5. Sales tax on general merchandise is high

6. Lack of diversity in the job market (ie retail, manufacturing, IT, distribution)

7. High Property Taxes - which causes high rent and high taxes for home owners.

8. Everything is far apart, nothing is really close.

9. Stop Lights- are insanely long and feel like I have traveled back in time.

10. Diversity of grocery stores. (Two main stores: Walmart and HEB) Not great choices imo.

11. Dirty - highways and roads in general are dirty, trash is along the highways and roads (this includes all of Texas not just Austin)

12. Homeless - There are panhandlers on every single street corner you go here in Austin, it is quite annoying. There is even a HUGE homeless camp underneath one of the downtown underpasses.

13. People - I feel people in Austin are very prideful and is in general very sensitive, especially if you say something negative about their city. Also people down here don't seem to be very nice in general

14. Faith - Not many Churches down here at all.

15. Tree's - In general the tree's are very small here.

16. The trail systems - the trails here are hit or miss, I've been on trails where they are completely washed out and trails here seem to be only half done. The trails get VERY dusty as many of them are not asphalt, only a few are asphalt.

17. Pay wage - most careers here seem to have very low wages for their prospective industry, which also causes for very high competition for jobs

18. You have to pay to go into State parks.

19. No hard rock station.

20. Bag Ban - you have to pay to get grocery bags or any shopping bags.

21. Law enforcement

22. Lack of seasons

23. Registration - smog check

24. Lack of shopping malls or shopping in a relatively condensed area.

Pro's:

1. Weather - In general weather is very nice down here most of the year even during the summer months, the humidity isn't as bad as what people make it out to be. To me a 90° day really feels like 75° to me.

2. Nature - Lizards, turtles and other animals living in their natural habitat.

3. Lot's of job opportunities however wages for your career field tend to be low and you have a high competition.

4. Electric - is relatively cheap here.

5. Law enforcement

6. Airport

Columbus:

Pros:

1. Low Cost of Living

2. Highway system - good on and off ramps, people do the speed limit or at least 5 over.

3. No Bag Ban

4. People are very friendly and in general very trustworthy too.

5. Higher pay.

6. Excellent park and trail systems

7. 4 major grocery stores to shop from and have a good selection and prices are relatively low. Gas rewards.

8. Law enforcement.

9. Seasonal weather

10. Trees are huge.

12. Waterways.

13. Stadiums - sports arenas.

14. Healthcare - I believe OSU medical Center is one of the best medical centers in the nation.

15. A hard rock station.

16. No bag ban.

17. Clean roads and highway systems.

18. The state parks and recreational center. Hoover reservoir.

19. Smart stop lights.

20. OHIO STATE FOOTBALL

21. Faith - Many good churches to select from.

22. Low Taxes.

23. No toll roads.

24. Law enforcement

25. Communities

26. Registration- simple can do it online.

27. Girls are hotter.

28. Shopping malls and condensed areas to do shopping all at once.

Cons:

1. Snow

2. Ice

3. Cold

4. Humidity (real humidity not humidity like they call it in Austin)

5. Airport

6. Frost

7. No pro sports teams that I am interest in. (Yes I know about the Blue Jackets, but I'm not a hockey fan, lol)

For right now that is all I can think of, I'm sure I can always add more later, lol.

But that is my list!

Last edited by Buckeye5b; 04-16-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-16-2017, 05:13 PM

403 posts, read 666,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
These are two cities that are quite similar in a lot of ways. They both house a major state university (that loves football), they're both state capitals and they are around the same size (Columbus has the slight edge in the metro. I'm expecting Austin will pass it soon).

Vote for which city you like overall in the poll and post which city do you prefer in these categories:

Downtown
Food
Culture
Nightlife
Diversity
Capitol Building
Economy
Universities
Downtown-Downtown Columbus-It was a bit too underdeveloped when I was there for a city of its size.
Downtown Austin-I would definitely return to Cedar Street for a week if I could. Austin wins here.
Food-Both have a very diverse/wide selection of food. I would have to hand this one to Columbus, Ohio just because one of my top ten favorite restaurants is there.
Culture-Probably Austin, Texas just due to how diverse it is.
Nightlife-Easily Austin, Texas. There are plenty of nightclubs, good bars and other fun stuff to do there at night. Columbus's nightlife wasn't bad, but it did feel rather limited.
Diversity-If we are talking racially, then I'd actually have to hand it to Columbus. It's a bit more diverse.
Capitol building-Austin's is way more aesthetic. Austin wins here.
Economy-Austin, Texas wins here.
Universities-Columbus, Ohio wins here.

Overall: I like both, but Austin, Texas is superior without question. It might be a bit more expensive, but it's totally worth it over Columbus.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye5b View Post
Sorry for coming to this thread late.

But this is my experience with both of these cities as I have lived in both.

Austin:

Cons:
1.Traffic - people drive really slow here compared to Columbus. I mean the speed limit is 70 mph and people will be doing 60 mph with no one in front of them. The Highway system here is very poorly designed which I believe induces traffic jams. Lack of highways.

2. Expensive Toll roads

3. Cost of living is extremely high

4. Sales tax on groceries

5. Sales tax on general merchandise is high

6. Lack of diversity in the job market (ie retail, manufacturing, IT, distribution)

7. High Property Taxes - which causes high rent and high taxes for home owners.

8. Everything is far apart, nothing is really close.

9. Stop Lights- are insanely long and feel like I have traveled back in time.

10. Diversity of grocery stores. (Two main stores: Walmart and HEB) Not great choices imo.

11. Dirty - highways and roads in general are dirty, trash is along the highways and roads (this includes all of Texas not just Austin)

12. Homeless - There are panhandlers on every single street corner you go here in Austin, it is quite annoying. There is even a HUGE homeless camp underneath one of the downtown underpasses.

13. People - I feel people in Austin are very prideful and is in general very sensitive, especially if you say something negative about their city. Also people down here don't seem to be very nice in general

14. Faith - Not many Churches down here at all.

15. Tree's - In general the tree's are very small here.

16. The trail systems - the trails here are hit or miss, I've been on trails where they are completely washed out and trails here seem to be only half done. The trails get VERY dusty as many of them are not asphalt, only a few are asphalt.

17. Pay wage - most careers here seem to have very low wages for their prospective industry, which also causes for very high competition for jobs

18. You have to pay to go into State parks.

19. No hard rock station.

20. Bag Ban - you have to pay to get grocery bags or any shopping bags.

21. Law Enforcement

22. Lack of seasons

23. Registration - smog check

24. Lack of shopping malls or shopping in a relatively condensed area.

Pro's:

1. Weather - In general weather is very nice down here most of the year even during the summer months, the humidity isn't as bad as what people make it out to be. To me a 90° day really feels like 75° to me.

2. Nature - Lizards, turtles and other animals living in their natural habitat.

3. Lot's of job opportunities however wages for your career field tend to be low and you have a high competition.

4. Electric - is relatively cheap here.

5. Law enforcement

6. Airport

Columbus:

Pros:

1. Low Cost of Living

2. Highway system - good on and off ramps, people do the speed limit or at least 5 over.

3. No Bag Ban

4. People are very friendly and in general very trustworthy too.

5. Higher pay.

6. Excellent park and trail systems

7. 4 major grocery stores to shop from and have a good selection and prices are relatively low. Gas rewards.

8. Law enforcement.

9. Seasonal weather

10. Trees are huge.

12. Waterways.

13. Stadiums - sports arenas.

14. Healthcare - I believe OSU medical Center is one of the best medical centers in the nation.

15. A hard rock station.

16. No bag ban.

17. Clean roads and highway systems.

18. The state parks and recreational center. Hoover reservoir.

19. Smart stop lights.

20. OHIO STATE FOOTBALL

21. Faith - Many good churches to select from.

22. Low Taxes.

23. No toll roads.

24. Zoo Could not edit last post.

25. Communities

26. Registration- simple can do it online.

27. Girls are hotter.

28. Shopping malls and condensed areas to do shopping all at once.

Cons:

1. Snow

2. Ice

3. Cold

4. Humidity (real humidity not humidity like they call it in Austin)

5. Airport

6. Frost

7. No pro sports teams that I am interested in. (Yes I know about the Blue Jackets, but I'm not a hockey fan, lol)

For right now that is all I can think of, I'm sure I can always add more later, lol.

But that is my list!
Since I could not edit my last post here are my corrections!

Old 04-16-2017, 09:29 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
I have lived in Austin for the past decade, so I know it better, but I have spent some time in Columbus. 2 state capitals of similar size with huge universities in the middle of them makes them comparable. They are both kinda suburban cities with pockets of urbanity. There are two huge differences in Austin's favor for me.

1: Topography and outdoor recreation. Columbus is flat and makes almost no use of its river front. I would not put a toe in the Oldanddingy ever. Austin offers great water-based recreation in its city limits and you can take advantage of being on the water almost year round. There is nothing in Columbus like Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Deep Eddy, The Town/Ladybird lake hike and bike trail. There are great hiking/rock-climbing/swimming/kayaking/sailing opportunities in Austin year round in a way that there really are not in Columbus. The west side of Austin has cliffs, canyons, sizable hills etc. It is way more scenic than Columbus and affords much better outdoors recreational opportunities.

2. Nightlife. For a huge college town, Columbus is kinda boring. Downtown Austin, zip code 78701 is the zip code with the highest number of liquor licenses in the entire country. There are 300 plus bars, clubs, live music venues, theaters in the one square mile that is downtown Austin. Austin hops 7 nights a week in a way that Columbus really does not.

Otherwise pretty close, but if you wanna be out in the world, day or night, Austin by quite a long way...

Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I have lived in Austin for the past decade, so I know it better, but I have spent some time in Columbus. 2 state capitals of similar size with huge universities in the middle of them makes them comparable. They are both kinda suburban cities with pockets of urbanity. There are two huge differences in Austin's favor for me.

1: Topography and outdoor recreation. Columbus is flat and makes almost no use of its river front. I would not put a toe in the Oldanddingy ever. Austin offers great water-based recreation in its city limits and you can take advantage of being on the water almost year round. There is nothing in Columbus like Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Deep Eddy, The Town/Ladybird lake hike and bike trail. There are great hiking/rock-climbing/swimming/kayaking/sailing opportunities in Austin year round in a way that there really are not in Columbus. The west side of Austin has cliffs, canyons, sizable hills etc. It is way more scenic than Columbus and affords much better outdoors recreational opportunities.

2. Nightlife. For a huge college town, Columbus is kinda boring. Downtown Austin, zip code 78701 is the zip code with the highest number of liquor licenses in the entire country. There are 300 plus bars, clubs, live music venues, theaters in the one square mile that is downtown Austin. Austin hops 7 nights a week in a way that Columbus really does not.

Otherwise pretty close, but if you wanna be out in the world, day or night, Austin by quite a long way...
1. Your comment about Columbus's riverfront is very off base. While Austin certainly has more interesting topography than Columbus, The Scioto Mile makes great use of the river in terms of recreation and green space. Some of the cities largest festivals are actually on the Scioto, especially during the warmer months. There's actually a massive amount of development occurring/planned on the peninsula as well.

2. Where in Columbus did you go out/which venues if you don't mind me asking? Personally I think Columbus night life punches well above weight for a mid-sized, non-touristy city.

Old 04-16-2017, 11:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Austin: Topography, outdoor recreation no income tax, mild winters, live music, lower murder rate, BBQ/TexMex/Mexican food

Columbus: Shopping, core neighborhoods (German Village, Victorian Village, Clintonville, Short North etc.), sports, affordability, traffic, actual springs/fall weather, suburbs with their own historic districts.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 AM

12,807 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Never been to Cbus, would love to visit. Both towns seem like a lot of fun

Old 04-18-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You've likely never even been there. Columbus' urban neighborhoods have been getting regular national press in recent years. I know everything is supposed to be bigger in Texas, but try to keep your egos in check.

24.6% of the Columbus metro's growth is foreign-born. Only 10.2% of Austin's is. 89.9% of Austin's growth is either domestic migration or natural increase while 75.4% of Columbus' is. This was for 2012, btw. For the period 2000-2012, 87.2% of Austin's growth is domestic or natural and for Columbus it's 81.9%. Foreign population growth was 18.1% to 12.7% Columbus and Austin, respectively. So what this says is that Columbus' recent foreign-born growth is running ahead of where it's been the last decade, while in Austin it's running behind. Natural growth in Columbus has accounted for the largest chunk, at 67.7% vs Austin's 39.4%. What this suggests to me is that, for all hype, Columbus is probably the younger city, as the younger population tends to have higher birth rates, as do immigrants typically.

So maybe you should rethink what you said. Austin probably attracts more Texans than Columbus attracts Ohioans, and certainly, Columbus has a much higher growth rate of foreign-born.
Using your quote in this forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/colum...tin-texas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City