Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 78,055 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

It's my first post ever so Thanks for taking the time to read it.

I'm Russian. I've been in the States for one year. First I lived in MA(not Boston) where I got Master's in Marketing. After I graduated, I moved to Brooklyn with my girlfriend, who is Russian too.
We both work on two jobs, and each gets smth like 3k a month.

The thing is that we are not happy with our jobs and life in NY in general. We've been thinking to move to another city.

We've visited Seattle,SF, San Jose,Santa Cruz, LA, San Diego, Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, D.C., Philly, Milwaukee. So now we have some basic pictures of these cities in our minds. We seriously consider only SF, San Diego and Boston. Other places a great, but we can't imagine our life their for now.

SF impressed us with its spirit. There's some special, amazing feeling when you walk on its streets, feasting your eyes with its beautiful sights. The city is gorgeous.
The cons that we found while we were there are: weather( it was very windy and freezing in July when we were there), huge number of homeless everywhere, and high prices in restaurants.

San Diego has great weather and beaches. I like its Downtown. And it's not as expensive as SF. But people say that we will need a car there, cause transportation sucks.

Boston is beautiful. I like its architecture, compact Downtown, and convenient transportation. Also we have many friends and acquaintances there, so we will always have things to do. The cons are cold weather in winter and it's almost as expensive as NYC.

We realize that it will be hard to move to any of these places. Maybe moving to Boston will be a little bit easier cause we know it better and have friends who might help.
We have some savings and will be able to search for a job for 4-6 months. Ideally, we want to find a job connected with marketing as its our major and we already have some experience.

So basically, our main criterias are: availability to find an entry-level marketing job, 1-BR apart for a maximum of 1500/month , decent quality of bars/restaurants/night clubs, access to the ocean, and possibility to meet new friends. The climate is also very important, but we realize that it's very hard to find a place with perfect weather all the year.

So we will appreciate any advice from people who have experience with these cities. Or maybe anyone knows other good places to live, which are not familiar for us. I've heard that Phoenix, Denver and Salt Lake City are also great, but we've never been there yet.
And also if anyone has similar experience of living in Brooklyn and moving out of it, it will be helpful too.

Thanks

P/S I apologize for my poor English. If you only knew how well I write in my native you would be my fans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City